Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Closed Thread

Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:18 pm   #91
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania??

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle78 View Post
Doesn't it look nice!Thanks for sharing.How did you find the weather?Are you looking forward to going back?
The weather was changable, we went just at the end of their summer which was Feb/Mar. Mostly sunny and hot, had a day or two of grey days and a thunderstorm. They do have the 4 seasons and are gauranteed to have snow on the mountains in the winter. I have read that it rarely goes below freezing in the towns and cities. We visited a famous place called Cradle Mountain which is in a huge national reserve area and we were told that they often get 4 seasons in one day!!!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:27 pm   #92
Just Joined

Too Easy Mate is an unknown quantity at this point

We visited Tas last month and thought it was a beautiful place and had a great time.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:19 pm   #93
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hi folks

Just wondering, all you folks that have already moved out to Tas. Did any of you manage to get the 40kg baggage allowance when you made the move and if so how did that work on the internal flight to Tas?

Kez
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:33 pm   #94

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzabird View Post
Hi folks

Just wondering, all you folks that have already moved out to Tas. Did any of you manage to get the 40kg baggage allowance when you made the move and if so how did that work on the internal flight to Tas?

Kez
didnt look into the 40kg allowance but if using them watch out for jetstar they charge you if over weight its how they make their money back on "cheap" flights.

our luggage was slightly overweight went from uk to japan to sydney no charge jetstar charged us $70.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:05 am   #95
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by possoms View Post
didnt look into the 40kg allowance but if using them watch out for jetstar they charge you if over weight its how they make their money back on "cheap" flights.

our luggage was slightly overweight went from uk to japan to sydney no charge jetstar charged us $70.
Yeah I know about them, we got stung on our way back to the UK last year when we had our holiday there. I wasn't impressed!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:39 am   #96
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Just been looking at real estate and I am really liking Scottsdale and Acacia Hills. Has anyone been or had experience of these places?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:07 am   #97
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieNurse View Post
Just been looking at real estate and I am really liking Scottsdale and Acacia Hills. Has anyone been or had experience of these places?
Scottsdale is a lovely place but thinkits hard to find work around there that is why we are looking at Lillydale as its only 30 mins from Launceston,
If you want to know more about the area PM my mum-in-law, She will tell you more about the area. I've sent you a PM with my Mum in laws name on here.
Good luck,
Gary and Vikky
Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:32 pm   #98
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVFR8 View Post
Scottsdale is a lovely place but thinkits hard to find work around there that is why we are looking at Lillydale as its only 30 mins from Launceston,
If you want to know more about the area PM my mum-in-law, She will tell you more about the area. I've sent you a PM with my Mum in laws name on here.
Good luck,
Gary and Vikky
Cheers !!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:27 pm   #99

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Scottsdale is a very small town and has more facilities than Lillydale, if you want rural then Lillydale is nice too isolated for me but.

its about 45 mins from Scottsdale to Launceston going via Lillydale it may not seem that far but I personally really wouldnt want to commute for work its a long winding road and full of wildlife after dark which in winter is 5 o'clock.

There are some really cheap properties in Scottsdale but not many being sold, there is trouble at Auspine and the threat of 300 jobs being lost. this is all due to the export of logging etc If this happens the town will suffer its all up in the air at the moment. Auspine employs a lot of people in the north east.

also proposals for a pulp mill at Bell Buoy which could spoil some places ie Beauty Point, talk of polution down the tamar and possibly down the coast toward mussleroe.

http://www.wilderness.org.au/campaig...sed_pulp_mill/

as for work depends what you do, there is a small hospital in Scottsdale, if your a tradesman ie chippy theres plenty of work.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:08 am   #100
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Have just returned from our all too brief holiday in Oz and WOW!!
We spent a week on tas a nd loved it apart from our arrival in Hobart when it was cold and dark and we got lost!
We stayed at Launceston, then drove over to St Helens and Bay of Fires (wow again) saw our first echidna at St Columba Falls. Then 2 days at Freycinet National park, which was just heaven on earth, went sea kayaking, ate the most fantastic food. Then over to Hobart for 3 days, went on a boat trip, visited to Tahune Air Walk, went up Mt Welington, where there was snow and ice and lots of fog. Did Salamanca Market and ate lots more food!
Also had a meeting with 2 ladies from Tas government who had lots of helpful tips and who we will keep in touch with.
After leaving Tas, we were sure it was for us but we then visited SA which we also liked so alot will depend on the job situation when the time comes.
Will put some piccies on when I've downloaded them from camera (only got back last night) and when I've worked out how to put them on here
Sammy
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:17 am   #101
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy T View Post
Hi all

Have just returned from our all too brief holiday in Oz and WOW!!
We spent a week on tas a nd loved it apart from our arrival in Hobart when it was cold and dark and we got lost!
We stayed at Launceston, then drove over to St Helens and Bay of Fires (wow again) saw our first echidna at St Columba Falls. Then 2 days at Freycinet National park, which was just heaven on earth, went sea kayaking, ate the most fantastic food. Then over to Hobart for 3 days, went on a boat trip, visited to Tahune Air Walk, went up Mt Welington, where there was snow and ice and lots of fog. Did Salamanca Market and ate lots more food!
Also had a meeting with 2 ladies from Tas government who had lots of helpful tips and who we will keep in touch with.
After leaving Tas, we were sure it was for us but we then visited SA which we also liked so alot will depend on the job situation when the time comes.
Will put some piccies on when I've downloaded them from camera (only got back last night) and when I've worked out how to put them on here
Sammy
Wow you squeezed loads in! Sounds like you had loads a fun. Look forward to seeing your pics. Good luck with your plans.

Kerry
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:44 am   #102
jerzo Female
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzabird View Post
Wow you squeezed loads in! Sounds like you had loads a fun. Look forward to seeing your pics. Good luck with your plans.

Kerry
When do you leave for Tassie??/

What areas are you looking at??

Im looking at the Hobart Region anywhere within 25 mins to Hobart if poss,

Zo

Zoe , Jerad , Ben (19) Connor (13) Ryan (11) Keane (4 1/2) & Heidi-Jane (2 1/2)
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:54 am   #103
Teabag Female
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzo View Post

Zo

Be careful with the rural areas, although they seem very close to the City, the roads can be dangerous with ice etc. in Winter, also lots of hills and winding roads.

Most of Hobart's suburbs are very easy to commute. I am finding things very close but I've just moved over from Perth and everything there is so far apart
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:59 am   #104
jerzo Female
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabag View Post
Be careful with the rural areas, although they seem very close to the City, the roads can be dangerous with ice etc. in Winter, also lots of hills and winding roads.

Most of Hobart's suburbs are very easy to commute. I am finding things very close but I've just moved over from Perth and everything there is so far apart
Whereabouts do you recommend?? i've got 4 sons 15yrs-1yr old and OH is a Bricklayer.

Everytime I look at your avatar it scares me!!!

Look forward to hearing from you

Zoe , Jerad , Ben (19) Connor (13) Ryan (11) Keane (4 1/2) & Heidi-Jane (2 1/2)
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:59 am   #105
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzo View Post

Zo
We haven't got a completion date for the house yet, but we are anticipating Aug/Sep.

We were looking at the Hobart area too, but ultimately it will be where ever Duncan can get a job initially.

I've sent a CV and Duncans line of work to a recruitment agency in Hobart, so we'll see what he comes up with.

Kerry

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia