Tasmania??

Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hmm....I'll claim the whatever it is amendment on that one! Suffice to say that I positively drool at the thought of a meal at Mures, to name but one fave place......then theres the Ball and Chain, the Fish Frenzy place, and the Irish pub in Salamanca Place - can't rmember its name, but they do great lunches....

And if you ever get down to Huonville, theres a really small Frenchy-style restaurant, tucked away from the highway, by the river - a real treasure of a place! I'll try and dig out the name, assuming its still there, I was there about 6 years back I guess.

God this is terrible, I'll be on the next plane at this rate!
http://www.huonmanor.com.au/

Found it!! Worth a trip
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm....I'll claim the whatever it is amendment on that one! Suffice to say that I positively drool at the thought of a meal at Mures, to name but one fave place......then theres the Ball and Chain, the Fish Frenzy place, and the Irish pub in Salamanca Place - can't rmember its name, but they do great lunches....

And if you ever get down to Huonville, theres a really small Frenchy-style restaurant, tucked away from the highway, by the river - a real treasure of a place! I'll try and dig out the name, assuming its still there, I was there about 6 years back I guess.

God this is terrible, I'll be on the next plane at this rate!
drop by, come for a beer or three, relax, we've got a spare room, the place in Huonville's only a short ride..

..and the weather in Tas isn't really that dreadful....
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:45 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And here's some more goodies, now I've got my annotated Lonely Planet out!

Pig in the Paddock, at Pyengana (north Tas)

Superb cooking, really amazing country pub, beautiful setting.

Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm
.....pancakes with raspbery sauce, raspberry wine, etc

and if you prefer strawberries - try Hillwoods
home of the most delectable strawberry cheese.

...and the pub in Salamanca is called Knopwoods
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
drop by, come for a beer or three, relax, we've got a spare room, the place in Huonville's only a short ride..

..and the weather in Tas isn't really that dreadful....
I really must get down there one day, getting quite nostalgiac for the place looking at the websites. I'll let you know when I've booked something, might even persude the Bloke to come too.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

And here's some more goodies, now I've got my annotated Lonely Planet out!

Pig in the Paddock, at Pyengana (north Tas)

Superb cooking, really amazing country pub, beautiful setting.

Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm
.....pancakes with raspbery sauce, raspberry wine, etc

and if you prefer strawberries - try Hillwoods
home of the most delectable strawberry cheese.

...and the pub in Salamanca is called Knopwoods
Brings back memories.
Makes me want to go back for a holiday there as well.
Totally unique island, well worth a visit.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:35 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
Definitions of Bogan on the Web:

* Bogan is a derogatory Australian slang term for somebody who is perceived as being an unfashionable "lower-class" person, typically of British Isles ancestry and living in deprived urban areas. Equivalent terms are:*' in Brisbane.*' in Hobart.*(sometimes interchangeable with) Booner in Canberra.*Westy in Sydney, Australia and Waitakere (Auckland), New Zealand referring to Western Suburbs.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

and this is particularly inciteful: http://www.bogan.com.au/definition/index.php
Oh like a CHAV!? I am unsure whether to rent or buy or not in Tassie. At this point in time I can only look at working my ass off in Perth to get money together to do a Reccie I really cant wait!

Last edited by OzzieNurse; Apr 10th 2007 at 12:48 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 2:30 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
Oh like a CHAV!? I am unsure whether to rent or buy or not in Tassie. At this point in time I can only look at working my ass off in Perth to get money together to do a Reccie I really cant wait!
Yep, the Tas equivalent of a Chav. Usually found destroying his tyres on the Brooker Highway late at night (main road heading north from Hobart)

I'd rent first is you're going there; its a truly beautiful place, but its unique, and not for everyone. So different from the rest of Aus that you have to be there to experience it before you can decide.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

I dunno, I think you couldn't lose with buying! We bought a house for $245k and it is a much bigger home and on bigger land than our house in Perth, and rents are quite high in comparison in Hobart. Can always sell and prices are only going up.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

I have lived in Tassie all my life until 5 months ago, when we all up and moved to the mainland. For us, we just got sick of the cold and the cost to get across Bass Strait for a family of 4 when you wanted to leave the state for a bit, $1000 approx. before your holiday even starts!

That was our gripe. The weather and the lack of opportunities for kids once they leave year 12 or University. There are only so many different jobs you can do in Tassie, the market is small on variety. Tasmania has one of the highest rates of umemployment in Australia and has had for a long time.

Tassie is indeed very beautiful and scenic. The food is delicious, thats true too. I dont agree that tassie food is rubbish either.

The bogan thing made me laugh. We had no idea just how many bogans there are in Tassie until we left. Since moving to Sydney we have often asked ourselves "Where are all the bogans?". You really dont realise just how many there are until you leave the state! And they are all over the state!!

Someone mentioned Mures!!!...........mouth waters..........but we have found a place here in the Hills district that matches them on taste so we can still enjoy the great fish and chips, but without the water views!! lol

Tassie IS cold! You will never convince me otherwise!! And Summer is very mild. You may get a mid 30's temp occassionally but they are few and far between!....its not the norm. Mid 20's in Summer is the usual temp. Down South in Winter, barely rises above mid teens. It doesnt rain as much in Hobart as it does in the North and North West areas of the state. You get plenty of rain up North, just look how green it gets from now on in!

We love Tassie and will look forward to our visits back to catch up with family and friends.

Two other places worth a visit.........Anvers Chocolates in Devonport...yummo...and the cheese place outside Devonport heading towards Launceston.........for the life of me I cant remember the name!!!....having a grey moment!!! but the cheese is just wonderful there!!

Tassie is a great island state of Australia but for us we wanted to enjoy a warmer climate for a change and we have been lovin' the weather we have experienced in Sydney the last 5 months.

We are moving to the Gold Coast, this will be our last move, and I am so looking forward to the weather up there as well!!!!........
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:17 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum

We are moving to the Gold Coast, this will be our last move, and I am so looking forward to the weather up there as well!!!!........
And there's me in Brisbane, yearning to move to the cool of Tassie! Good thing we are all different isn't it!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

the cost to get across Bass Strait for a family of 4 when you wanted to leave the state for a bit, $1000 approx. before your holiday even starts!
Better than the $2500 and the five hour flight each way!

That was our gripe. The weather and the lack of opportunities for kids once they leave year 12 or University. There are only so many different jobs you can do in Tassie, the market is small on variety. Tasmania has one of the highest rates of umemployment in Australia and has had for a long time.
what about the skills shortage for Tradesmen?

The bogan thing made me laugh. We had no idea just how many bogans there are in Tassie until we left. Since moving to Sydney we have often asked ourselves "Where are all the bogans?". You really dont realise just how many there are until you leave the state! And they are all over the state!!
same in Perth

Tassie IS cold! You will never convince me otherwise!! And Summer is very mild. You may get a mid 30's temp occassionally but they are few and far between!....its not the norm. Mid 20's in Summer is the usual temp. Down South in Winter, barely rises above mid teens. It doesnt rain as much in Hobart as it does in the North and North West areas of the state. You get plenty of rain up North, just look how green it gets from now on in!
As one who comes alive in Winter and finds the on-set of Summer foreboding, I can't wait!!

As with most things it is up to the individual
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

can i just say that when referring to food, I didnt mean the restaurants or the cheeses etc- they are without a doubt far better than the UK and its true that you can find good produce in some places but i meant in the supermarkets

If you buy veg and fruit it only lasts a day or so and often i can't even get what i want as it looks gone off in the shop.

An example is that i tried to buy a punnet of cherry tomatoes and every single box was fully of moudly tomatoes- i went and told the shop assistant but the next day they were still there !!

Asparagus is often all withered where it should have been thrown away weeks ago, the onions are full of black bits- i could go on !!!!

I do try and get veg and fruit elsewhere but it just bugs me that they think they can put food out in such a state and expect people to pay for it- also my weekly shopping bill here ( for 2 people) is $160 - which is approx £70 I guess and i only used to spend about £60 in the UK and our wages were a lot higher so that makes it realtively much much more expensive

sorry rant over !!!

oh and I also love Mures- yummo - the seafood here is gorgeous- sadly i am pregnant so dont get to enjoy it as much now !!

Nat xx
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by natty

oh and I also love Mures- yummo - the seafood here is gorgeous- sadly i am pregnant so dont get to enjoy it as much now !!

Nat xx
Think of the feast you can enjoy in the end though.........
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Ioh and I also love Mures- yummo - the seafood here is gorgeous- sadly i am pregnant so dont get to enjoy it as much now !!

Nat xx[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I need help! I've done a google search but can't find anywhere that does basic furniture/whitegoods hire in Hobart? Is there not much call for it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.