Tasmania??

Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by Bishop3912
ohh lovely, I bet you cant wait, we travelled through there on our trip from top to bottom of the Island, its a lovely place. The time will come round really quickly. Do you do the whole pressie thing whilst you are away or do you just veg and forget about it!!!

we will probably have an early xmas at home, we are leaving on the 19th. Maybe keep a few pressies for the 25th.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Teabag
we will probably have an early xmas at home, we are leaving on the 19th. Maybe keep a few pressies for the 25th.
that sounds great. I bet the girls really enjoy getting a sort of two Xmas's. When do the kids break up for holidays, you have one due soon dont you? Mine go back tomorrow after their 6 week summer break, am glad for the peace and quiet as they have done nothing but argue the last week, Joseph starts playschool 4 mornings next week so that will be wierd. Still may get to have a hot cuppa tea!!!! he he
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bishop3912
that sounds great. I bet the girls really enjoy getting a sort of two Xmas's. When do the kids break up for holidays, you have one due soon dont you? Mine go back tomorrow after their 6 week summer break, am glad for the peace and quiet as they have done nothing but argue the last week, Joseph starts playschool 4 mornings next week so that will be wierd. Still may get to have a hot cuppa tea!!!! he he
Tasmania schools break up today for two weeks. Then it's a long 3 months till Xmas hols.

Enjoy your mornings, once the bump is out that will all be over!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Tasmania schools break up today for two weeks. Then it's a long 3 months till Xmas hols.

Enjoy your mornings, once the bump is out that will all be over!
Hi Donna

We were surprised to see the kids have got 12 weeks at school after the September break, I think the longest they've ever had was 8 weeks in the UK! Hopefully the last few weeks leading up to Xmas will be fairly light going anyway!

Your Xmas camping trip sounds fab, is it difficult to get a pitch at that time of year? I've not done any camping since I was young but my OH and son really fancy trying it, so at some point we're going to give it a go. I never liked it as a kid but that was probably cos it was always raining!

Sam
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi Donna

We were surprised to see the kids have got 12 weeks at school after the September break, I think the longest they've ever had was 8 weeks in the UK! Hopefully the last few weeks leading up to Xmas will be fairly light going anyway!

Your Xmas camping trip sounds fab, is it difficult to get a pitch at that time of year? I've not done any camping since I was young but my OH and son really fancy trying it, so at some point we're going to give it a go. I never liked it as a kid but that was probably cos it was always raining!

Sam
Hi Sammy T,

It can be quite hard to get a spot in a Caravan Park if you leave it too late to book, but after last year camping at Stanley I don't think I will use a caravan park again in peak times. All the parents seem to swear non stop at their kids and everyone was just too close to each other, talking til late in the evening, very hard to sleep, and then kids up at crack o'dawn so no sleeping in either!!
This year we are going to a conservation area - free to camp (not a national park) with these and national parks you just rock up and pitch your tent, the one we are going to has flushing toilets and cold showers, some don't have showers, some only have pit toilets and some you have to dig your own hole. We will be near the town of St. Helen's and they have a public shower at the Marina where you can go for a hot shower. We figured a hot shower every second day and a sponge bath on the other day will hopefully do. Especially if we are swimming etc. anyway a cold rinse isn't the end of the world.
We are going before Xmas so we shouldn't have any trouble getting a good spot, although from what I hear there are plenty of spots along the coast where you can camp.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sammy T,

It can be quite hard to get a spot in a Caravan Park if you leave it too late to book, but after last year camping at Stanley I don't think I will use a caravan park again in peak times. All the parents seem to swear non stop at their kids and everyone was just too close to each other, talking til late in the evening, very hard to sleep, and then kids up at crack o'dawn so no sleeping in either!!
This year we are going to a conservation area - free to camp (not a national park) with these and national parks you just rock up and pitch your tent, the one we are going to has flushing toilets and cold showers, some don't have showers, some only have pit toilets and some you have to dig your own hole. We will be near the town of St. Helen's and they have a public shower at the Marina where you can go for a hot shower. We figured a hot shower every second day and a sponge bath on the other day will hopefully do. Especially if we are swimming etc. anyway a cold rinse isn't the end of the world.
We are going before Xmas so we shouldn't have any trouble getting a good spot, although from what I hear there are plenty of spots along the coast where you can camp.
Hi

That sounds lovely! I don't think I'd fancy being squashed in with lots of noisy people either, in fact not my idea of a holiday at all.
I'm a bit fussy about toilets and showers but I'd still rather take your option and have the peace and privacy of not so many people and more of a real camping experience. Maybe we'll need to break ourselves in gently with just a weekend to begin with!!
Can you recommend a good place to get camping stuff, we've seen everything we would need at Anaconda (Cambridge Park) but I'm not sure about the lasting quality of it.

Sam
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

That sounds lovely! I don't think I'd fancy being squashed in with lots of noisy people either, in fact not my idea of a holiday at all.
I'm a bit fussy about toilets and showers but I'd still rather take your option and have the peace and privacy of not so many people and more of a real camping experience. Maybe we'll need to break ourselves in gently with just a weekend to begin with!!
Can you recommend a good place to get camping stuff, we've seen everything we would need at Anaconda (Cambridge Park) but I'm not sure about the lasting quality of it.

Sam

We have an Oztrail canvas tent, they are about $1000-$1200 dollars but big and roomy for a long vacation as well as an Oztrail Gazebo with walls for our kitchen/dining area. A good investment. but if you only want to start small, there are many options. I like Mountain Creek Outdoors in Hobart for camping gear, thy have a huge range of tents set up upstairs.

Last edited by Teabag; Sep 4th 2008 at 11:59 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

We have an Oztrail canvas tent, they are about $1000-$1200 dollars but big and roomy for a long vacation as well as an Oztrail Gazebo with walls for our kitchen/dining area. A good investment. but if you only want to start small, there are many options. I like Mountain Creek Outdoors in Hobart for camping gear, thy have a huge range of tents set up upstairs.
Thanks for that, its useful to have some recommended brands as most names are not familiar to us. I guess, as always you get what you pay for and its worth getting something that will last.
I'll check out the shop when I'm next in Hobart.

Thanks, Sam
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

I would also prefer to camp in the quieter places, but I would like to have running hot showers. We have a pitiful 3 man tent that we brought over, I think we need to invest in another one or else we could be a little cramped! We have our gas stove and kettle, just need to sort out some camp beds now.

Donna are you taking Jess with you? or are you leaving her behind? Just wondered if dogs are allowed.

Kerry
x
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kezzabird
I would also prefer to camp in the quieter places, but I would like to have running hot showers. We have a pitiful 3 man tent that we brought over, I think we need to invest in another one or else we could be a little cramped! We have our gas stove and kettle, just need to sort out some camp beds now.

Donna are you taking Jess with you? or are you leaving her behind? Just wondered if dogs are allowed.

Kerry
x
We aren't taking Jess with us as we would be out and about too much and wouldn't like to leave her chained up at the site. But yes if you are camping in a conservation area you can take dogs, but not if you are camping in a national park
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:02 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Just an update for you lot. Got flights booked for Wednesday with Emirates. So me and my oldest son are off to Tassie again for another shot at it. My wife and youngest son stay behind till we sell the house. Not going to be easy we know but it's this or loose my PR visa and a good education for my son who wants to be a doctor in Aussie. Will update as much as i can.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Just an update for you lot. Got flights booked for Wednesday with Emirates. So me and my oldest son are off to Tassie again for another shot at it. My wife and youngest son stay behind till we sell the house. Not going to be easy we know but it's this or loose my PR visa and a good education for my son who wants to be a doctor in Aussie. Will update as much as i can.
Best of luck Lenmil. I hope you and your son get on ok - and i also hope it wont be too long before the rest of the family can join you both in Tas. I'll be keeping my fingerscrossed for you.
take care. Cathy
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Good luck Lenmil, I hope it all works out for you and that you will be reunited as a family very soon. Will keep all crossed for a quick house sale. Keep us posted with updates. x
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:05 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice

We are moving to Cygnet 45 mins south of Hobart soon. The existing Tasmania thread is now so big I can't get my head around it and I have three questions someone in Tassie may be able to help with:

1. What is the best shipping company for a container from SE England to Tasmania with good service to a rural area including unpacking?

2. Is it worth buying a car on the mainland and bring it to Tasmania on the ferry? My thought is that they may be cheaper on the mainland (or at least greater choice) and it would save renting a car.

3. Has anyone had experience of one way car rentals picking the car up on arrival in Sydney or Melbourne and dropping off in Hobart? Is it possible with any car rental companies and do they charge more? When you look at the web site of some rental companies they do not seem to offer Hobart as a drop off with a mainland rental.

Many thanks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.