Tasmania??

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
Sorry didnt mean to anger you The information I got about the 21 degrees was the average temperature from discover Tasmania webpages sorry I was mis informed I dont mind the heat was orignally heading for Perth or Queensland In fact this is good news
i'm not annoyed ! just glad to be able to set you right-i know we're suffering from too much latitude here in Tassie but we're not that close to Antarctica.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:47 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
i'm not annoyed ! just glad to be able to set you right-i know we're suffering from too much latitude here in Tassie but we're not that close to Antarctica.
Oh so no chance of penguins then?
Only kidding. Thanks for the info. I am actually releived it is hotter than I was told. What I find refreshing is the lack or pollution and the way of life. I think I will be ok in Tasmania as I can get a job in most places. I am a little worried about the OH though. I have an account with seek and there are a few jobs that would be suitable. I just hope it wont be too hard to find something for him. Otherwise he may be forced into being a house husband lol!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:22 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Only kidding. Thanks for the info. I am actually releived it is hotter than I was told. What I find refreshing is the lack or pollution and the way of life. I think I will be ok in Tasmania as I can get a job in most places. I am a little worried about the OH though. I have an account with seek and there are a few jobs that would be suitable. I just hope it wont be too hard to find something for him. Otherwise he may be forced into being a house husband lol!
Looking at the forums and most of the people moving to Tassie are Nurse's!!!
So should have no problem with a shortage in Tassie!!!
We are moving to Karoola near Launceston due to arrive on 1st December. Really looking forward to it. It's just lovely being able to drive around and not get stuck in traffic. Having nice places to go for a walk to. I love having holidays abroad while I'm here(UK) but with Tassie there is that much to do I won't need to travel far. Me and my wife have said we will try and maybe go back to mainland to visit some of her friends about 3 times a year maybe a couple of flights and ferry once. But cost is not that dear.
Gary and Vikky
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=OzzieNurse;4591393]Oh so no chance of penguins then?
Only kidding.

I'm pretty sure there are penguins in North West Tassie and also at Bicheno on the east coast.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Hi there

Just wanted to add some info about Tas

my husband and I moved here two years ago next week from the UK.

Tassie is a great place to live and we came here as we thought it would be a great place to bring up kids ( i am now 16 weeks pregnant !!)

Like everywhere Tassie has its positives and negatives- here are my opinions based on living here two years !!

Pros

beautiful scenery- from my house I have a 180 degree view of the sea and the hills in the distance.

clean and safe- the air is pure and the crime rate is very very low

weather- today its 21 degrees and sunny and this is autumn- summer can be as high as 35 but generally mid 20's - winters are cold but the sun always shines- no grey rainy days here- pay no attention to people who tell you it rains all the time in Tassie- Hobart has the 2nd lowest rainfall of all the cities in Australia.

The people- very friendly

Cons

lots of bogans - you will know what they are soon enough

prices- everything is much more expensive than the mainland and rubbish quality- this relates to everything- food, clothes, furniture- i sooo miss shops in the UK !!

Isolation- OK its only an hour flight to Melbourne and 1.5 hours to Sydney but its expensive to go anywhere - we used to go on hols all the time in the UK but here even a trip to Melbourne for the weekend is expensive.

Winter- depsite the sun, winter is cold and the houses here don't have insulation, double glazing or central heating so you really feel the cold- bbbbrrrrrr !!!

OH and don't listen to those who say there are no jobs in Tassie- its a lie- if anything its the opposite- theres a skills shortage and i should know, my husband is a recruitment consultant !!. we came here without jobs and both had one within 4 weeks - i actually earn more here than in the UK- office work).

Best of luck

Nat
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natty
Hi there

Just wanted to add some info about Tas

my husband and I moved here two years ago next week from the UK.

Tassie is a great place to live and we came here as we thought it would be a great place to bring up kids ( i am now 16 weeks pregnant !!)

Like everywhere Tassie has its positives and negatives- here are my opinions based on living here two years !!

Pros

beautiful scenery- from my house I have a 180 degree view of the sea and the hills in the distance.

clean and safe- the air is pure and the crime rate is very very low

weather- today its 21 degrees and sunny and this is autumn- summer can be as high as 35 but generally mid 20's - winters are cold but the sun always shines- no grey rainy days here- pay no attention to people who tell you it rains all the time in Tassie- Hobart has the 2nd lowest rainfall of all the cities in Australia.

The people- very friendly

Cons

lots of bogans - you will know what they are soon enough

prices- everything is much more expensive than the mainland and rubbish quality- this relates to everything- food, clothes, furniture- i sooo miss shops in the UK !!

Isolation- OK its only an hour flight to Melbourne and 1.5 hours to Sydney but its expensive to go anywhere - we used to go on hols all the time in the UK but here even a trip to Melbourne for the weekend is expensive.

Winter- depsite the sun, winter is cold and the houses here don't have insulation, double glazing or central heating so you really feel the cold- bbbbrrrrrr !!!

OH and don't listen to those who say there are no jobs in Tassie- its a lie- if anything its the opposite- theres a skills shortage and i should know, my husband is a recruitment consultant !!. we came here without jobs and both had one within 4 weeks - i actually earn more here than in the UK- office work).

Best of luck

Nat
Nats post here is totally acurate in my experience. Well said.

I lived there for a year, and I found it to be exactly as Nat has decribed it here.

Brilliant post
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of penguins - Georgetown, Burnie, Wynyard, Stanley and other little pockets on the northern coast, Bicheno on the east coast, and Bruny Island - they are the best IMHO - and there are probably other colonies too. Fantastic to watch
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:51 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me what Bogans are? They arent like gumnut snakes and drop bears are they?
Oh thanks Nat very informative post!
Have pm'ed you hope you dont mind?
Son will be pleased about the penguins. We have been looking at property again, I spent ages last night looking at different areas. I found a lovely house on 50 acres! Not sure what I would do with 50 acres though and it had its own dams and water supply! could grow own veg and even have own animals!
But then we want some land but not quite that much and need to be fairly near schools for little un...just dont want neighbours...if you see what I mean...am I mad?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:18 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me what Bogans are? They arent like gumnut snakes and drop bears are they?
Oh thanks Nat very informative post!
Have pm'ed you hope you dont mind?
Son will be pleased about the penguins. We have been looking at property again, I spent ages last night looking at different areas. I found a lovely house on 50 acres! Not sure what I would do with 50 acres though and it had its own dams and water supply! could grow own veg and even have own animals!
But then we want some land but not quite that much and need to be fairly near schools for little un...just dont want neighbours...if you see what I mean...am I mad?
If you haven't already looked, search for penguins on here - http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm
- your son will be hooked!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Definitions of Bogan on the Web:

* Bogan is a derogatory Australian slang term for somebody who is perceived as being an unfashionable "lower-class" person, typically of British Isles ancestry and living in deprived urban areas. Equivalent terms are:*' in Brisbane.*' in Hobart.*(sometimes interchangeable with) Booner in Canberra.*Westy in Sydney, Australia and Waitakere (Auckland), New Zealand referring to Western Suburbs.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

and this is particularly inciteful: http://www.bogan.com.au/definition/index.php
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natty
prices- everything is much more expensive than the mainland and rubbish quality- this relates to everything- food, clothes, furniture- i sooo miss shops in the UK !

Nat
i'm afraid i can't agree that everything is "rubbish"-we found everything we need, some of it admittedly after a little bit of searching.

i don't see how you can describe local Tas produce as rubbish? the seafood here is excellent quality, and the farmer's market veg and meat is perfectly good.

some household stuff does cost a little more than on the mainland but that's the price you pay for living somewhere so lovely.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:02 am
Home and Happy

i'm afraid i can't agree that everything is "rubbish"-we found everything we need, some of it admittedly after a little bit of searching.

i don't see how you can describe local Tas produce as rubbish? the seafood here is excellent quality, and the farmer's market veg and meat is perfectly good.

some household stuff does cost a little more than on the mainland but that's the price you pay for living somewhere so lovely.
I'd love to have some of the locl Tassie produce in Qld - its far superior down there, cheese (yes, I know its an old joke, but its true, Tassie cheese is fantastic), fruit, veg, and the seafood - out of this world. I always found the quality of Tas food much better value for money than a lot of the stuff up here.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'd love to have some of the locl Tassie produce in Qld - its far superior down there, cheese (yes, I know its an old joke, but its true, Tassie cheese is fantastic), fruit, veg, and the seafood - out of this world. I always found the quality of Tas food much better value for money than a lot of the stuff up here.
agreed-just been to Brisbane and Byron Bay for the Bluesfest and we're glad to be back home for some decent grub !
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

agreed-just been to Brisbane and Byron Bay for the Bluesfest and we're glad to be back home for some decent grub !
that sounds a bit rude- i didn't mean to imply that all you eat up there in Qld and NSW is substandard- perhaps 5 days of festival fare might have coloured my judgement?
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:15 am
Home and Happy

that sounds a bit rude- i didn't mean to imply that all you eat up there in Qld and NSW is substandard- perhaps 5 days of festival fare might have coloured my judgement?
Hmm....I'll claim the whatever it is amendment on that one! Suffice to say that I positively drool at the thought of a meal at Mures, to name but one fave place......then theres the Ball and Chain, the Fish Frenzy place, and the Irish pub in Salamanca Place - can't rmember its name, but they do great lunches....

And if you ever get down to Huonville, theres a really small Frenchy-style restaurant, tucked away from the highway, by the river - a real treasure of a place! I'll try and dig out the name, assuming its still there, I was there about 6 years back I guess.

God this is terrible, I'll be on the next plane at this rate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.