Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking your clothes to oz?

taking your clothes to oz?

Old Oct 18th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default taking your clothes to oz?

Not sure if mentioned before but when people have packed up a container to send to oz i beleive it takes a while to arrive,well when it comes to clothes i bet some just sell most but also some take lots with them,as its in a container for so long does the clothes get damp and mould being in the container so long,or are they packed away and protected if so this does not happen if so what does one recommend.
yes maybe some take as much on the flight with them but what about if your taking most of your stuff i be worried that they get damaged being in cold container for a while.
Is there anything that can be purchased that is idea for the job
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

TheBaillies will become famous soon enoughTheBaillies will become famous soon enough
Default Re: taking your clothes to oz?

I brought everything with me! Lots in my suitcase and lots in the container. Everything was fine, nothing was damp or mouldy. I've never worn most of it though since I got here.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheBaillies
I brought everything with me! Lots in my suitcase and lots in the container. Everything was fine, nothing was damp or mouldy. I've never worn most of it though since I got here.

I just thought they would get damp or mouldy being in a container so long,so did you say in lots of suitcases in container,i suppose those vacum bags would be usefull.
I bet your right about not having used most of them,the few times i been to oz i always take lots with me and most i never wear as too hot etc.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:57 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I took the lot, mostly in the container. I have used all of my clothes including the coats I used in the UK, five years on and winter is very cold to me now even in Sydney.I wear scarves and gloves too. Also for the snow if you go you will need gear.

Most of the winter woolies get worn in the house in winter - no heating! I use double duvets for winter and hot water bottles. Depending on where you live night temps can easily slip below zero in winter.

Everything was fine in the container, just watch your housing it can get very damp and you may need damp rid and other containers to trap the excess water. You cannot stuff your closets as you do in the UK if you get this issue.

Cheers
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:20 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

where are you planning to move to? if its Queensland you might not wear them that much. being in Scotland you must have one t-shirt for the day summer falls all depends on where you are going to.

I found i did not get much wear out of my nice summer frocks moving from central queensland to London. on the otherhand i found my knitted gloves not warm enough for the winter here. depends on what you find hot/cold. must have been all of 12 here today in Hertfordshire and i was rugged up well in winter gear.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I have gone a bit mad buying up shorts and teeshirts for my kids and have bought some summer dresses (the spaghetti strap ones) for me.. and will be putting them in plastic bags and into boxes and finally into our container! (when we get one!)..

If you think about it, you can buy up a fair amount in George or Tescos for a small amounts.. and I have heard on this forum a few times that the quality of the clothes out in Oz is not that good?

Em x
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

We put sachets of silica gel in with everything and it was all fine!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 12:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
I have gone a bit mad buying up shorts and teeshirts for my kids and have bought some summer dresses (the spaghetti strap ones) for me.. and will be putting them in plastic bags and into boxes and finally into our container! (when we get one!)..

If you think about it, you can buy up a fair amount in George or Tescos for a small amounts.. and I have heard on this forum a few times that the quality of the clothes out in Oz is not that good?

Em x
Don't put things into plastic bags to ship. If by any chance they do get any dampness in them they won't be able to 'breathe' and will go mouldy. Our shippers packed our clothes in wardrobe boxes so they arrived still on hangers and just needed a quick press. I put a fabric softener sheet in each box on the bottom so they all came smelling nice and fresh. You can also do like Poppett did and put a sachet of silica gel in each box, but we really found this was not needed,