Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking whisky to Oz (again)

Taking whisky to Oz (again)

Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking whisky to Oz (again)

Love Springbank. Really wacky stuff, and they sometimes get it wrong, but when its good (calvados cask) its unbeatable. Also like rosebank, benromach, caperdonish, aultmore.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:08 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on my way to Oz just now having spent the last few weeks rather unhealthily disposing of much of the whisky and wine in our house as its way too expensive to take with us. That doesn't even take in account all the bottles in storage at the Wine Society and BBR - mind you they've been gifted to my kids years ago so they can sort them out when they're older! WRT whisky, I'm an Islay man. Ardbeg, Laphroaig etc. Also partial to the two distilleries closest to where we used to live - Dalwhinnie's a nice pre dinner dram and I can happily drink Tomatin any time. Come to think of it though, I can actually 'force' virtually any single malt down if I have to :-)
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:10 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

At least I will have all the SA wineries reasonably close once we reach Oz so that'll be some compensation...
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
I'm on my way to Oz just now having spent the last few weeks rather unhealthily disposing of much of the whisky and wine in our house as its way too expensive to take with us. That doesn't even take in account all the bottles in storage at the Wine Society and BBR - mind you they've been gifted to my kids years ago so they can sort them out when they're older! WRT whisky, I'm an Islay man. Ardbeg, Laphroaig etc. Also partial to the two distilleries closest to where we used to live - Dalwhinnie's a nice pre dinner dram and I can happily drink Tomatin any time. Come to think of it though, I can actually 'force' virtually any single malt down if I have to :-)
yes, quite, no hardship. I'm also an Islay man. I come back there. And to think I once sailed around it and never set foot....lol
Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Just to pick this up again, am I right in thinking that sending my personal whisky collection in a crate with the rest of my belongings would incur the following on each bottle:

Duty
GST
Wine Equalisation Tax (which looks like it applies to all spirits)

I reckon even with all of these I'd be much better off than buying in Oz.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Just to pick this up again, am I right in thinking that sending my personal whisky collection in a crate with the rest of my belongings would incur the following on each bottle:

Duty
GST

Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy, put it in the hold, or if buying at the airport, get them to seal it and hand over at the gate - of course there is a risk that someone might stuff up and your flight might leave without the bag with you - unless you refuse to board of course!

I spent an eternity in LA a few months ago deliberating over the Single Malts and even with the help of quite a crowd of like-minded enthusiasts who had gathered with the similar problem, could not choose.

So I bought in Melbourne on my arrival and did not feel too ripped off either.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Im talking about taking my collection over. There's a lot of it, none are available in shops, etc.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:08 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt

Duty
GST

Do these apply to opened bottles?

S
Old Sep 7th 2013, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute