Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking whisky to Oz (again)

Taking whisky to Oz (again)

Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking whisky to Oz (again)

You can ship alcohol with all your normal household belongings when making the move, and it can go in the same container load. It would however be subject to duty and GST.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:07 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot take any liquids in containers greater than 100ml onto international flights to Australia, unless it is in sealed bags from the airport duty free shop and delivered to the gate for you to collect once you have been checked in. Singapore airport duty free will do this, don't know which other airports offer this service.

Just one of the kneejerk reactions to 9-11 which hasn't yet been removed. Many have as common sense prevails, like having steel knives in the Qantas Club to spread the butter (if you wanted to hijack a plane by threatening a stewardess, a fork would have been more effective anyway) instead of the plastic ones which appeared following 9-11.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jun 16th 2013 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Can you take as much as you are allowed in your suitcase and then ask any friends who are making a trip to collect on way back? We've been slowly transporting our whisky collection to Oz over the past few years. The best way is to buy the really sturdy cardboard casings (inner white foam) as they seem to survive. Although once I did take two bottles of whisky wrapped in jumpers to Amsterdam.. not as far granted, was extremely surprised and delighted they remained intact.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

StSabre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
You cannot take any liquids in containers greater than 100ml onto international flights to Australia, unless it is in sealed bags from the airport duty free shop and delivered to the gate for you to collect once you have been checked in. Singapore airport duty free will do this, don't know which other airports offer this service.

Just one of the kneejerk reactions to 9-11 which hasn't yet been removed. Many have as common sense prevails, like having steel knives in the Qantas Club to spread the butter (if you wanted to hijack a plane by threatening a stewardess, a fork would have been more effective anyway) instead of the plastic ones which appeared following 9-11.
Dubai airport do a similar thing, delivering sealed bags to the gate for collection on arrival in Australia.

The liquid restrictions aren't related to 9/11 - it was a later plot to construct and use liquid bombs on transatlantic flights that led to them.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:05 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StSabre
The liquid restrictions aren't related to 9/11 - it was a later plot to construct and use liquid bombs on transatlantic flights that led to them.
Makes no sense that they only apply to international flights then. I guess Australian liquids can't be dangerous!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Anything in your hold baggage will go straight through with no problem. The main issue with bringing booze into Australia is with the Asian countries through which your flight will transit. They have the restrictions. Buy it during your stopover and it will either be handed to you at purchase or be waiting at your boarding gate. I recently bought 4l of single malt in KL and had no problems bringing it in. You can buy on arrival before immigration and, in Perth at least, prices are not too bad
Indeed..

Originally Posted by GarryP
http://travelsecure.infrastructure.g...tyfree_to.aspx

Basically if you are trying to get whisky in from the UK, it has to be in hold luggage (and securely packed against the throwers).

You apparently can now get duty free in from Singapore (you didn't used to be able to) but it has to be delivered to the gate, no buying it and taking it through security yourself.

You can buy when you land in Oz, but at the local prices.

Basically it seems mainly to be about getting more money spent in Australian duty free - technically a sealed bag should be enough for them.

Note, the duty free allowance is 2.25 l - so in theory you could get three bottles of non-ripoff-priced whisky into your checked baggage - if you have the weight allowance. Not that I've given the matters some thought or anything....
I bought on arrival in Melbourne last time as LA didn't have what I was looking for so I decided to take a punt. The 'local' duty free price was only a bit more than LA and still quite palatable - bearing in mind
that most whiskey is sold locally in 700ml bottles.

Most duty-free whiskey is 1 litre a go. And Australia is very generous about the amount of spirits imported compared to many countries.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:21 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I bought on arrival in Melbourne last time as LA didn't have what I was looking for so I decided to take a punt. The 'local' duty free price was only a bit more than LA and still quite palatable - bearing in mind
that most whiskey is sold locally in 700ml bottles.
A 1l bottle of, say, a single malt Bowmore is $70 in Australian duty free.

A 70cl bottle in Tescos when they have a sale on (eg when there's a 'Y' in the day) is £20 = $33

So you can pick up three bottles in Tesco for $100, but 2 bottles in the duty 'free' would be $140 - and the selection is worse. BTW three bottles from DanMurphys would cost $174.

If duty free were truly duty 'free' - we'd be talk much closer to $50.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

A 1l bottle of, say, a single malt Bowmore is $70 in Australian duty free.

A 70cl bottle in Tescos when they have a sale on (eg when there's a 'Y' in the day) is £20 = $33

So you can pick up three bottles in Tesco for $100, but 2 bottles in the duty 'free' would be $140 - and the selection is worse. BTW three bottles from DanMurphys would cost $174.

If duty free were truly duty 'free' - we'd be talk much closer to $50.
And...Dan's bottles are only 700ml....which makes it worse.

My point was that the Australian price was not far off the LA price and had the malt I was after.

But certainly a lot cheaper than Dan Murphies which is a shocker.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Thanks all. Some great information. Most of my collection is quite rare so wouldnt get it in duty free anyway. The aus duty free prices also look pretty high to me. Maybe not as outrageous as some other products in oz but still way higher than you pay here. Think taking 3 bottles with me then friends bringing the rest over in stages sounds good.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by big_matt
Thanks all. Some great information. Most of my collection is quite rare so wouldnt get it in duty free anyway. The aus duty free prices also look pretty high to me. Maybe not as outrageous as some other products in oz but still way higher than you pay here. Think taking 3 bottles with me then friends bringing the rest over in stages sounds good.

So which malts do regulars own and like these days?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 1:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So which malts do regulars own and like these days?
My favourite is Cardhu but for general stuff Glenfiddich will do

Like Glenmorangie too
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My favourite is Cardhu but for general stuff Glenfiddich will do

Like Glenmorangie too
I am on for Highland Park next time - currently on Bowmore, Balvenie and Lafphroaig (sic!) with a bit of Cognac from time to time. I like smoke, not so much peat.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I am on for Highland Park next time - currently on Bowmore, Balvenie and Lafphroaig (sic!) with a bit of Cognac from time to time. I like smoke, not so much peat.
Try Bunnahabhain, if you can find it.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Try Bunnahabhain, if you can find it.
Or say it, much less spell it.....
Old Jun 20th 2013, 6:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Or say it, much less spell it.....
Bunnnummhhbbbhummminnnngmummblemumble.........

(actually I think its supposed to be "Bū-na-ha-venn", bloody scots)

Last edited by GarryP; Jun 20th 2013 at 6:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.