Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking daughter out of grammar school?

Taking daughter out of grammar school?

Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking daughter out of grammar school?

Originally Posted by juckky
Hi Pollyana, thanks for posting this. I last visited in Feb 2014, but my wife and daughter was Oct 2010, so I too was wondering whether we should all fly out for a couple of weeks before April 27th just so we avoid the 5 year rule. Even if I was not outside 5 years since I last vistied and I had a job offer in the hand, could the risk be that as my wife and daughter had not visited for more than 5 years that they would be denied?
It would certainly look better in the future if you all managed a trip over - it shows some interest in the country and in keeping the visa!When it comes to the RRV as long as you have a firm job offer, and hopefully then a RRV, they could then apply for RRVs as your family.
The more ties to the country, and the more interest in it, the better, though getting the RRV would still not be guaranteed.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

juckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It would certainly look better in the future if you all managed a trip over - it shows some interest in the country and in keeping the visa!When it comes to the RRV as long as you have a firm job offer, and hopefully then a RRV, they could then apply for RRVs as your family.
The more ties to the country, and the more interest in it, the better, though getting the RRV would still not be guaranteed.
Makes sense. Many thanks.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 2:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juckky
My daughter was distraught at the thought of going to Aus. She never did give a valid reason why. She is settled here and her well being comes before my own agenda.
Mine was. She was aged 14 and didn't want to leave her friends. Doing well at school - forecast for 10 As in her GCSEs. Just before we left she scribbled "I don't want to go to sh***y Australia" on the whiteboard in my office. I was too flabbergasted to say anything to her.

Anyway, we arrived and she made lots of great friends straight-away. 10 years later she has been to Melbourne Uni, got a job with big 4 and visited 25 countries, which included a student exchange to USC in CA. I wonder how her life would have been different had we remained in the UK.

I echo others in suggesting a holiday here (a month). Meet up with some expats and ask questions about what it is really like here. We'll do anything for a beer. Not all the best education is in a classroom.

I think this is a good post with some very useful comments, particularly by me. http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...-gcses-528268/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Mar 25th 2015 at 2:28 am.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

juckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Mine was. She was aged 14 and didn't want to leave her friends. Doing well at school - forecast for 10 As in her GCSEs. Just before we left she scribbled "I don't want to go to sh***y Australia" on the whiteboard in my office. I was too flabbergasted to say anything to her.

Anyway, we arrived and she made lots of great friends straight-away. 10 years later she has been to Melbourne Uni, got a job with big 4 and visited 25 countries, which included a student exchange to USC in CA. I wonder how her life would have been different had we remained in the UK.

I echo others in suggesting a holiday here (a month). Meet up with some expats and ask questions about what it is really like here. We'll do anything for a beer. Not all the best education is in a classroom.

I think this is a good post with some very useful comments, particularly by me. http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...-gcses-528268/
Great comment, and advice I wish had taken. Hey ho. Decision made, job offer turned down. Time to move on on and hopefully stop thinking 'what if'