Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking candles into Australia

Taking candles into Australia

Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Taking candles into Australia

Does anyone know if you are allowed to take candles into Australia? I can't see anything on the list of things you are not allowed to take in, but someone told me you can't. I have a couple of large, very ornately carved German candles, at least 35 years old, given to me by a German friend who passed away recently, so don't really want to part with them.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

shackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to all
Default Re: Taking candles into Australia

Is this of any use....

http://www.lead.org.au/lanv7n4/L74-3.html
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

PLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nice

fork handles?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:09 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PLASTERERFROMWALES
fork handles?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:19 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Does anyone know if you are allowed to take candles into Australia? I can't see anything on the list of things you are not allowed to take in, but someone told me you can't. I have a couple of large, very ornately carved German candles, at least 35 years old, given to me by a German friend who passed away recently, so don't really want to part with them.
Yes you can. http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:28 pm

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your friend. To be honest, it hadn't occurred to me about being unable to take candles in, but there does seem to be some mention of it on the customs website. I'm a bit tired at the moment, so I'll have a proper look when I'm more awake, but this is what I've found so far:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp

Towards the bottom of the page, under Trade Practices Act goods (restricted imports).
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Thanks for putting in that link. I only found the Customs one.

OP, ignore my previous post - told you I'm not awake!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:59 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

moved this to the Australia forum as its not an immigration/visa question
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:17 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just the customs issue - need to consider how they will cope with the temperature change on the way over in the container. Large melted candles will cause a mighty mess!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Its not just the customs issue - need to consider how they will cope with the temperature change on the way over in the container. Large melted candles will cause a mighty mess!
I brought several candles (mainly decorative ones - carved into shapes of mushrooms, things like that) - they were all fine, didn't melt, and they were in one of the boxes inspected by AQIS and allowed in no problem.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:28 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I brought several candles (mainly decorative ones - carved into shapes of mushrooms, things like that) - they were all fine, didn't melt, and they were in one of the boxes inspected by AQIS and allowed in no problem.
Mushroom-shaped candles?

Is that what you told customs?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Mushroom-shaped candles?

Is that what you told customs?

I kid you not, my sister bought them for me years ago and I've still got one left, don't have the heart to burn it! Its about 8 inches high and has wax mushrooms growing out of the side of it
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Wil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Scotty1
We are currently gathering quotes from container shipping companies. I have many candles and have asked all the companies their thoughts on taking candles. They have all advised me that the problem is there is a high risk of the candles melting in the container. It is possible that they will not melt depending on where the container is on the ship, but you are unable to put the container where you want to on the ship so as far as I know. So there is no way of telling where it will be on the ship and what temperatures it will be subjected too.

I'd hate for you to put some candles that mean alot to you on the container for you to find they have melted the other end.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I just took out all my personal effect on 24 march 2011 from aqis and custom and declare my marriage candles....and it was okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.