Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Ceri
whoo hoo another one who can't read posts correctly, perhaps if you get rid of the swinging busts in front of your eyes you'll see I don't slag anyone off, only when they attack me first - I posted saying the Op to do go by their experiences, whether they stay or go and not by people who post silly stats at every opportunity, 7 days a week etc - go by your own life experience - ie not stat's not forums not people who jump onto everything!

And don't put the disabled one on to me either , it doesn't wash.

If you don't like it it's your problem

and no everyone doesn't think like me - obviously lol.

T

Oh i think i read it properly.
I dont have a problem in any way. I am giving my opinions to what you have written. Like it or lump it.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:47 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

Ceri, you are really pathetic you know that !! no-body wants to listen to you as you are just pompous and arrogant !! And yes you have been rude to everyone who has posted here !!!!
Go and crawl back to the little hole you came out of and complain else where, no-body wants you here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, and if i put a little
does that make this post a little less serious????
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Charmoll will become famous soon enough

I wrote the original entry to give just one insight into the experience of an early thirties professional here in Australia. I was last here ten years ago and loved it. But Sydney has changed a lot in that time and returning has been more difficult. Of the eight couples that have been here, all were in their late twenties early thirties with only young children if any at all, so the opt out clause is relatively easy for us. Which may answer the high percentage that returned. None of us were 'trapped'.

We did have a comfortable life in the UK and I just wanted to appeal to anyone in a similar situation back home. Life is life, here or on the other side of the world, it's not just the UK that has problems. I just think when leaving the UK new migrants should not put so much pressure on themselves. I wish I had just said to family and friends that I was going for a couple of years, rather than using the term 'emigrate'.
If you read entries from those who are about to leave the UK, you will understand my point. How they feel they can't change their minds because of having told everyone they are 'going'...
My motivation was to make people think about the reality, so many don't and have rushed into this and often have not realised what they have done until they get off the plane in Sydney. I have in my time here travelled the whole country, even stayed in Port Hedland, and I feel my time here is done. I wish anyone who comes here all the best, but just think about your initial motives. Because as I said in the first article if you don't love Australia then that simply won't be enough.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own. I hope you happier back in the UK.

Like you dont need Australia, Australia doesnt need you!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

"But I being poor have only my dreams......
........I have laid my dreams beneath your feet.......Tread softly because you tread on my dreams". (W.B.Yeats)

G
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by manxfamily

Good luck. That's all I can say.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I wrote the original entry to give just one insight into the experience of an early thirties professional here in Australia. I was last here ten years ago and loved it. But Sydney has changed a lot in that time and returning has been more difficult. Of the eight couples that have been here, all were in their late twenties early thirties with only young children if any at all, so the opt out clause is relatively easy for us. Which may answer the high percentage that returned. None of us were 'trapped'.

We did have a comfortable life in the UK and I just wanted to appeal to anyone in a similar situation back home. Life is life, here or on the other side of the world, it's not just the UK that has problems. I just think when leaving the UK new migrants should not put so much pressure on themselves. I wish I had just said to family and friends that I was going for a couple of years, rather than using the term 'emigrate'.
If you read entries from those who are about to leave the UK, you will understand my point. How they feel they can't change their minds because of having told everyone they are 'going'...
My motivation was to make people think about the reality, so many don't and have rushed into this and often have not realised what they have done until they get off the plane in Sydney. I have in my time here travelled the whole country, even stayed in Port Hedland, and I feel my time here is done. I wish anyone who comes here all the best, but just think about your initial motives. Because as I said in the first article if you don't love Australia then that simply won't be enough.

I think its really good of you to voice your concerns and opinions. I dont neccessarily agree with them all as i am a different person at a different stage of the life cycle. We have no kids to hold us back and like you, can come and go as we please. The difference is, I enjoy Aus and especially Sydney, but if its not right leave! And i'm glad you have taken that decision rather than regret it later.
I think if i did have kids to think about, i would take the decision far more seriously, but i dont really need to. Just going with the flow and if we want to move on in the future theres nothing stopping us.

Best wishes to both of you.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rebabaros
Ceri, you are really pathetic you know that !! no-body wants to listen to you as you are just pompous and arrogant !! And yes you have been rude to everyone who has posted here !!!!
Go and crawl back to the little hole you came out of and complain else where, no-body wants you here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, and if i put a little
does that make this post a little less serious????

Try posting under you normal username - coward . ( you are forgetting to cap your I's - it really does give you away)

And thank you for the compliment "pompous and arrogant"

good evening
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Flutterscutter
The fact they have a business and put a link to it is irrelevant.
I would much rather read and listen to the opinion of a person who is respectful and kind in their approach,

Or out to make a buck

I think all Ceri was saying was if for eg: I had a house to rent in Mankville, or was a real estate agent in Boganside, I'd not be likely to tell you the local state school had 2 classes burnt out on the weekend or a lunatic was picking up kids at the local shopping center. Advertising is just that, promoting your product.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

I thought this was an interesting read, thanks for taking the time to write it. However can't help but wonder why you wrote it? Most of us have made the decision to go and your thread isn't going to change that, you know that. However what you have done is made a number of people angry, you have added to everyones stress, which is already in a high state as it is. You have invited more doubt for everyone and panic. I appreciate any constructive criticism, however everyone knows they are leaving people behind and take it from someone who has been away from her family for 13 years it doesn't get any easier, but everyone knows this and doesn't need to be told how they will regret it and shouldn't bother in the first place. Personally I would rather regret the things I do, than sit on my ass and do nothing. And just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it wont for the rest of us. Personally I am not going to rush into buying a house, nor am I going to rush into starting a business till I know which way is up, and lastly my marriage has survived and thrived on much harder things than moving to another country, I find communication and understanding go along way rather than taking things out on each other. Thanks for your thread but in future keep this stuff to yourself or at least to the back to the UK forum.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

I would disagree with this on one level. I don't think you have to LOVE a country to make a go of it. I think the key is to realise that every country has its pitfalls and it is whether or not you can live with those pitfalls that will determine whether or not you can live in the country.

I also slightly resent the notion that people with children are 'trapped'. My husband and I were born in the UK, grew up in South Africa and returned to the UK to give our children what we felt would be a better life (as SA had become so crime-ridden and violent). Our daughter was 5 and I was pregnant with our son. Now, 8 years on, and England has not given us the quality of life we dreamed about. Do we care that we told our family and friends in SA that we were returning to the UK, do we feel trapped because our children are now 13 and 7 - absolutely not. We do what we consider to be best for our family so we are moving to Oz. If we get there and absolutely hate it or just can;t get on (which I do seriously doubt) will we worry that we will have lost face with our family and friends here in the UK because we said we were 'emigrating'. Of course not. We have not slagged off England to justify our move to Oz, we just believe that Oz will give us the lifestyle and quality of life that we feel we lost moving to the UK.

Also, on the note that most expats want to return home to die in their homeland - I think you will find that true of a lot of nations. Most of my south-african born friends dream of returning to their home of birth to live out their days. My parents have returned to the UK and dream of living out their days here. I think that is natural and not necessarily a slight on the country in which you currently live. My husbands aunt and uncle however who moved to Sydney in the 70's said that they couldn't think of anything worse than returning to the UK. They said why would they want to live the last of their days out in a country that is wet and cold, when they can enjoy walks a long the beach and sundowners on the porch. It is all a mindset at the end of the day.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:05 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Charmoll,

You're right - life stage is a factor. Someone who's seen all angles (the good and bad sides of Aus and the UK) is, to my mind, a more balanced and useful contributer to this forum than those who've yet to even leave the UK. Just don't expect to hear that from the rose-tinted brigade!

Listen to B (BLC) - she's a god un and knows her stuff. More like her are appreciated.

GG

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily

I really dont see the need for people to say stuff like that, all the guy did was post a polite account of how he found things, an account that could be useful to someone else.

If it doesnt work out for you would you like somebody to talk to you like that.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:12 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ceri
Try posting under you normal username - coward . ( you are forgetting to cap your I's - it really does give you away)

And thank you for the compliment "pompous and arrogant"

good evening

Well I have to admit I always enjoy Aussie Ceris posts, don't always agree with them but they are always honest.
It would be a pretty boring forum if everyone had the same views.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ninijon
I thought this was an interesting read, thanks for taking the time to write it. However can't help but wonder why you wrote it? Most of us have made the decision to go and your thread isn't going to change that, you know that. However what you have done is made a number of people angry, you have added to everyones stress, which is already in a high state as it is. You have invited more doubt for everyone and panic. I appreciate any constructive criticism, however everyone knows they are leaving people behind and take it from someone who has been away from her family for 13 years it doesn't get any easier, but everyone knows this and doesn't need to be told how they will regret it and shouldn't bother in the first place. Personally I would rather regret the things I do, than sit on my ass and do nothing. And just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it wont for the rest of us. Personally I am not going to rush into buying a house, nor am I going to rush into starting a business till I know which way is up, and lastly my marriage has survived and thrived on much harder things than moving to another country, I find communication and understanding go along way rather than taking things out on each other. Thanks for your thread but in future keep this stuff to yourself or at least to the back to the UK forum.
I absolutely agree with everything you say, that is why I wrote it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.