Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:59 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

So what this all means is that there's no gravy in Australia coz it's all gone back to the UK.

Thanks for clearing that up Anya.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Nope I think Ceri's Advertising reference, was in relation to developing "wog Culture"

Certainly got us thinking though lol
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:03 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

So if all these people are returning to the UK , Im surprised I never bumped into any of them when going through the visa process for a year. Because for damn sure I had a lot of people approach me from secondary and tertiary circles of friends who said 'we'd like to go to Aus how do you do it' etc - Not once did I hear of someone who had been and come back.

So where are they all ? Anyone else 'bump' into someone in their life who had been and come back? Seven degrees of seperation and all that - we should all know people who returned if 'most' of them do.

I think posts like this from OP and the whinging are fine for those who want to whine but reading them from UK as I was last year you get an impression the whole place is a barren wilderness of dissent. I'm still checking I'm not in New Zealand because where I am is a million miles different to the world these people seem to inhabit. There are challenges and tribulations but its not hard to live here and really really enjoy it. If you come out here with your head full of sandy beaches and still think you'll see your family back home then forget it, but come out here getting ready for a new start and open to the changes and you'll love it.

Relationship problems happen - if they happened here they'd likely happen anywhere, (unless the source of the issue was vegemite specific). You cant blame Australia for that - you can blame unpreparedness for the stress of change, which would have potentially been there if moving to the isle of wight. <added smiley in self defence>
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:05 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Nope I think Ceri's Advertising reference, was in relation to developing "wog Culture"

Certainly got us thinking though lol
What, just add water & a gorgeous-looking Greek bloke jumps out of the packet?

Suits me

Anya.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:08 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anya4oz
????

I obviously missed the post by the UK funeral directors, suggesting 'Ship your loved ones home for a nice, traditional Burial in Blighty, special discounts for long term Expats', then.

Anya.
I meant some people who post in a "goody goody" light, and then they suddenly decide to advertise their businesses which are aimed at expats (work it out, you don't have to look very far).

call me a cynic lol ( sorry but I think it's so funny, miserable I'm not, I live life to the full - stunned at some people on these forums - yes)

P.s how much for a funeral directors ? it would be cheaper to get cremated here, then get a friend to carry your ashes back to the Uk in a holdhall for a nice funeral.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:09 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spalen
So if all these people are returning to the UK , Im surprised I never bumped into any of them when going through the visa process for a year. Because for damn sure I had a lot of people approach me from secondary and tertiary circles of friends who said 'we'd like to go to Aus how do you do it' etc - Not once did I hear of someone who had been and come back.

So where are they all ? Anyone else 'bump' into someone in their life who had been and come back? Seven degrees of seperation and all that - we should all know people who returned if 'most' of them do.
Tsk tsk, didn't you know what really happened? Such ignorance

When they apply to go back to Blighty, DIMIA has them kidnapped & sent under cover of darkness to a secret island location, where they are never seen or heard from again :scared: .

Cheers
Anya.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:11 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by Ceri
I meant some people who post in a "goody goody" light, and then they suddenly decide to advertise their businesses which are aimed at expats (work it out, you don't have to look very far).

C'mon, you're a business woman, too, aren't you?

I'm sure you know what happens if you don't do marketing? NOTHING.

Anya.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Anya.
Not the point. Some people post how many xxxx posts, this is lovely etc ( ie come into my spiders web ) , then when they have established themselves in a "goody appearance" with the people who are intending to move here , ie an expat forum- they then post their business at the end of their sigs which is aimed at the expat market

The same people tend to jump on any post which does not show Aus in a favourable, rose tinted light ( obvious)

I just think it is funny

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 23rd 2005 at 5:49 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...7&page=2&pp=15
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Anya.
I think she means people like sjoldfield & others who are always posting & starting threads promoting their business .
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

"House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas)."

Have to say I don't really think this is much of a point. Nobody on here can say they were surprised at the cost of housing in the city they chose to move to. They all have access to the internet. You CAN buy a house with a swimming pool for the price of a terraced place in the U.K, and it isn't in the middle of nowhere (try 20 mins from Brisbane CBD). Believe me, as I'm doing it right now. But if you want more affordable housing, why on earth would anybody move to Sydney???!!! It's like me going to London and saying "I can't afford to live in the U.K, houses cost too much in London, and everything else is a "Remote area".

Just my 2ps worth of course. I just think that when you're doing something as big as this, you can't do too much research.

Mr. L
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ceri
not the point. Some people post how many xxxx posts, this is lovely etc ( ie come into my spiders web ) , then when they have established themselves in a "goody appearance" - they then post their business at the end of their sigs

The same people tend to jump on any post which does not show Aus in a favourable, rose tinted light.

I just think it is funny

Has it not occured to you that not everyone in this world thinks like you do?
Believe it or not Ceri, there ARE people who are genuine. The fact they have a business and put a link to it is irrelevant.
I would much rather read and listen to the opinion of a person who is respectful and kind in their approach, than someone who is full of vitriole and scathing comment towards people at any given opportunity.
You tend to give off an air of superiority at times which does you no favours and belittles your views.

I dont think it matters much what time of day you choose to access this forum. So you only come on it at work as your social life is so full and consuming? Can't be that bad living in Aus then!
Have you not considered that other people dont come here the same times you do because they live a different life to you?
Some may not have interent access during the day ... oh, and they work too!
Some people are disabled or sick and not able to get out at every given opportunity.
Not everyone has a self absorbing lifestyle where no one but themselves matters and they think of no one else but themselves.
Quite a lot have chosen to have families and raise children, which means they don't get to go out every single night and all weekend doing just what they want regardless of anyone else.
The fact that you use your work time to access this forum and not in your free time means what? Nothing

There are a million and one different reasons why people come here and use this forum.

I think its very sad you take the attitude you do so often. You may fool some people some of the time, but you wont fool all of them ALL the time.
You come here for no other reason than YOU want to. No one forces you to, so you are no different to anyone else. The time of day might be different, your reasons may be different (god knows what they are) but it fills a need for you otherwise you wouldnt do it.

I think the saddest thing of all is your need to slag off other people for no apparent reason other than to vent your frustrations. How selfish!

Sorry to hijack you thread Charmoll. I hope you find what you are looking for, wherever that may be.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:05 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by logan
"House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas)."

Have to say I don't really think this is much of a point. Nobody on here can say they were surprised at the cost of housing in the city they chose to move to. They all have access to the internet. You CAN buy a house with a swimming pool for the price of a terraced place in the U.K, and it isn't in the middle of nowhere (try 20 mins from Brisbane CBD). Believe me, as I'm doing it right now. But if you want more affordable housing, why on earth would anybody move to Sydney???!!! It's like me going to London and saying "I can't afford to live in the U.K, houses cost too much in London, and everything else is a "Remote area".

Just my 2ps worth of course. I just think that when you're doing something as big as this, you can't do too much research.

Mr. L

Hmmm, theres "remote" and "remote"....for the price of a terrace in say NE England, you can buy a house in far western Qld. Bit of a drive to K mart though....eg 12 hours..
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:25 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
Has it not occured to you that not everyone in this world thinks like you do?
Believe it or not Ceri, there ARE people who are genuine. The fact they have a business and put a link to it is irrelevant.
I would much rather read and listen to the opinion of a person who is respectful and kind in their approach, than someone who is full of vitriole and scathing comment towards people at any given opportunity.
You tend to give off an air of superiority at times which does you no favours and belittles your views.

I dont think it matters much what time of day you choose to access this forum. So you only come on it at work as your social life is so full and consuming? Can't be that bad living in Aus then!
Have you not considered that other people dont come here the same times you do because they live a different life to you?
Some may not have interent access during the day ... oh, and they work too!
Some people are disabled or sick and not able to get out at every given opportunity.
Not everyone has a self absorbing lifestyle where no one but themselves matters and they think of no one else but themselves.
Quite a lot have chosen to have families and raise children, which means they don't get to go out every single night and all weekend doing just what they want regardless of anyone else.
The fact that you use your work time to access this forum and not in your free time means what? Nothing

There are a million and one different reasons why people come here and use this forum.

I think its very sad you take the attitude you do so often. You may fool some people some of the time, but you wont fool all of them ALL the time.
You come here for no other reason than YOU want to. No one forces you to, so you are no different to anyone else. The time of day might be different, your reasons may be different (god knows what they are) but it fills a need for you otherwise you wouldnt do it.

I think the saddest thing of all is your need to slag off other people for no apparent reason other than to vent your frustrations. How selfish!

Sorry to hijack you thread Charmoll. I hope you find what you are looking for, wherever that may be.

whoo hoo another one who can't read posts correctly, perhaps if you get rid of the swinging busts in front of your eyes you'll see I don't slag anyone off, only when they attack me first - I posted saying the Op to do go by their experiences, whether they stay or go and not by people who post silly stats at every opportunity, 7 days a week etc - go by your own life experience - ie not stat's not forums not people who jump onto everything!

And don't put the disabled one on to me either , it doesn't wash.

If you don't like it it's your problem

and no everyone doesn't think like me - obviously lol.

" Not everyone has a self absorbing lifestyle where no one but themselves matters and they think of no one else but themselves.
The fact that you use your work time to access this forum and not in your free time means what? Nothing "
quote by you

where to start on this above quote- lol - nope it's really not worth my effort lol,or my privacy , except that you assume too much.

" I think the saddest thing of all is your need to slag off other people for no apparent reason other than to vent your frustrations. How selfish quote
you are doing what you have falsely accused me of doing , which makes your post attacking me very ironic ! lol

sigh, and good evening to you
I'm off home.

To the orignal poster I repeat what I originally said - go by your own experiences, whether you stay or go - good luck ( and I also repeat take some posts on here with a pinch of salt, including stats, people who jump on any post who don't like anything said about Aus in a less than favourable light etc etc )

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 23rd 2005 at 6:52 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Sometimes I think too much information is a bad thing and ignorance is bliss!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.