Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney transfer between terminals

Sydney transfer between terminals

Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of
Default Sydney transfer between terminals

Hi, I need to know how long it will take to get from international arrivals, through customs and across to the Qantas domestic terminal roughly?

What is the quickest way? And presumably I can't buy my way into the Express lane without a business class ticket? Thanks.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney transfer between terminals

Are you flying in to SYD on Qantas as well on a single ticket...or another airline?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a hunt around and it doesn't look like you can buy the express path tickets. So based on my observations this morning, I would allow about 4 hours!
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have had a hunt around and it doesn't look like you can buy the express path tickets. So based on my observations this morning, I would allow about 4 hours!
Oh gee - great fun. I'll be flying in on Singapore Airlines and internally with Qantas - so no chance of them holding a connection for me. thanks for the info.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 10:23 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zultan
Oh gee - great fun. I'll be flying in on Singapore Airlines and internally with Qantas - so no chance of them holding a connection for me. thanks for the info.
The bus journey is 15 minutes itself

There is a qantas transfer between terminals which is at the far-right of international - walk out of customs after baggage collection and then walk as far right as you can you'll see signs for Qantas domestic transfer. You end up outside the terminal under a covered walkway which looks like you've gone too far but keep walking and its 100 metres in front of you.

Check In online if possible - 48hrs before the flight this opens - so you can just use baggage drop. You will leave your bags at this area still at the international terminal and Qantas take them to the plane then you go through x-ray and onto a bus, the bus drops you 'air side' in the domestic terminal - that entire process usually takes about 20-30 minutes.

I have never seen huge queues at this international->domestic transit area and it is a big area usually well staffed. This will be way quicker than going outside getting a bus etc. You may be unlucky and cop huge queues.

I frequently have 30minutes between landing+stepping on the other plane and make it even though I always curse at my travel company for doing that to me it works out in the end. :-)
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I need to know how long it will take to get from international arrivals, through customs and across to the Qantas domestic terminal roughly?

What is the quickest way? And presumably I can't buy my way into the Express lane without a business class ticket? Thanks.
It all depends when you arrive and how many other flights arrive at the same time. If your inbound flight is arriving first thing in the morning, I'd allow at least 1.5 hours to get through immigration, customs and domestic transfer. Even hat will be cutting it fine if the immigration queue is backed into the duty free shop.

You may be able to sweet talk/bribe one of the cabin crew into giving you and express pass.

Cheers

LG
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
It all depends when you arrive and how many other flights arrive at the same time. If your inbound flight is arriving first thing in the morning, I'd allow at least 1.5 hours to get through immigration, customs and domestic transfer. Even hat will be cutting it fine if the immigration queue is backed into the duty free shop.

You may be able to sweet talk/bribe one of the cabin crew into giving you and express pass.

Cheers

LG
Thanks everyone. My Singapore Airlines flight lands at 11.30ish on a Sunday morning. Not sure how peak time this is?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:59 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. My Singapore Airlines flight lands at 11.30ish on a Sunday morning. Not sure how peak time this is?
My top tip is - Dont bring food or wooden items etc and you might score a fast-path exit :

When you get into immigration hall for baggage collection - then you have to get your bags , get sniffed by the sniffer dogs, and then go to the inspection area for customs. Passport control for australians is on right hand side, passport control for non aussies is on left hand side, if you have australian electronic passport using the e-passport booths on far left of the hall means no queue. If you see queues out to the duty free shop (which does happen) then squeeze past on the left hand side because it'll be all aussies queuing up because they cannot read or use computers.

If its busy - they have customs officers walking in the main hall after passport control where you collect your bags from carousel who will ask you at random if you are carrying food, can I see your customs card etc, and if you are all clean on the questions (no food, no drugs, no restricted items) then they 'll stamp it and direct you to the super-express exit on the far right of the hall which puts you straight out into the terminal building.

To get this - you look out for them walking around, loiter near them with your ticket in your hand and your customs form in your hand, and if they dont come near you in the time you've got -then go say to one of them " hi Im a bit worried Im going to miss my connecting flight how long does it take to get through customs - I have no retricted goods" and smile nicely.

95% of the time I travel through there there are no queues to speak of - so you will surely be fine. I travel a *lot* 180 nights overseas last year.

Last edited by spalen; Dec 30th 2011 at 12:01 am.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

We have found the train to be more convenient than the bus and its about the same price. Arriving at 11.30 shouldn't be too bad as rush hour is usually from 6.00 am onwards. I would probably allow about 1.5 hours to get through all the formalities and transfer to domestic terminal. We always make a point of having something to declare, i.e. food, as the queue for something to declare is normally a lot shorter than the nothing to declare queue.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sassie
We have found the train to be more convenient than the bus and its about the same price. Arriving at 11.30 shouldn't be too bad as rush hour is usually from 6.00 am onwards. I would probably allow about 1.5 hours to get through all the formalities and transfer to domestic terminal. We always make a point of having something to declare, i.e. food, as the queue for something to declare is normally a lot shorter than the nothing to declare queue.
Thanks again everyone. After all this the deciding factor for our internal flight was my partner's - she has refused to get on a aeroplane with propellers - so we will have plenty of time to make the connection operated with a 737..
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again everyone. After all this the deciding factor for our internal flight was my partner's - she has refused to get on a aeroplane with propellers - so we will have plenty of time to make the connection operated with a 737..
Which sector uses aircraft with propellors? Normally these are reserved for short hops, not on major international routes?
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sassie
Which sector uses aircraft with propellors? Normally these are reserved for short hops, not on major international routes?
The internal Qantas flight that I need to transfer to at Sydney is a Qantaslink Dash8 at certain times of the day (we'll be arriving on an A380 flight from Singapore).
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The internal Qantas flight that I need to transfer to at Sydney is a Qantaslink Dash8 at certain times of the day (we'll be arriving on an A380 flight from Singapore).
That's a pity because the Qantaslink service is nicer than QF mainline.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
That's a pity because the Qantaslink service is nicer than QF mainline.
I flew from Bundaberg to Brisbane on one of the Qantaslink Dash8 I loved it.. But to to keep the missus happy. )
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Sassie about having some food to declare. If you are coming from the UK have a pack of crisps or chocolate bar to declare. I generally Nake sure I get asked what I'm declaring in the customs hall once I have my bags then when I say british chocolate get the form stamped for the fast exit.