Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sydney Thread.

The Sydney Thread.

Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:05 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Sydney Thread.

Originally Posted by pacey
well, i don't know your real name or what you look like but i reckon i can give tracking you down a good go! Straight to the CBH
Ha ha!!! That's precisely where I'll be!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point

drinking thru your snorkel?
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:59 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all am hoping to be back in Sydney soon we live in Cronulla right near the beach in an unfurnished apartment on a long lease

see you all when I get back
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is There A Sydney Thread...?

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
In the meantime, I'm from London hoping to be out there in the next few months on a 457 (4 nyear work visa) which is being held up by a labour agreement dispute with the labour hire firm dealing with my application :curse:

I'm gonna be in Randwick for a few weeks then maybe Coogee for a while as I was there before. Be good to know everyone else's plans. Will be working as a recruitment consultant.
Due to recent redundancy I find myself out in the job market again
I'm amazed that just in the last year or so there are so many English folk working as recruitment consultants. Hardly any of the ones I've dealt with have not been from the UK!
Can you, Steve, explain what this is all about?

Thanks
TC
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:15 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is There A Sydney Thread...?

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Due to recent redundancy I find myself out in the job market again
I'm amazed that just in the last year or so there are so many English folk working as recruitment consultants. Hardly any of the ones I've dealt with have not been from the UK!
Can you, Steve, explain what this is all about?

Thanks
TC
Did you mean me?! I've no idea I;m afraid! But it seems like all the australian ones are in London!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

I'll be in Sydney late July early August
Actually looking for a rental in the "gong" and surrounding areas, but will be working in Padstow

Stu
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

We are possibly thinkking of moving back to Sydney and would like suggestions of fairly central places to live (renting) that are ok for babies, like baby groups etc
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry bit of advertising...

FIRST SUTHERLAND/SOUTH SYDNEY MEET-UP

Calling all in South Sydney, Sutherland, Kirrawee, Gymea, Miranda, Caringbah, Sylvania, Menai, Cronulla, Como etc etc

Gymea Hotel (next to Gymea station) 2PM Saturday 29th March

http://www.gymeahotel.com.au/

After a few threads and posting by Britexpats in The Shire, I've decided to set a date and place for our first meet-up.

The Gymea Hotel is right next to the railway station on the Sutherland - Cronulla line and has a large car park at the rear. Kids are welcome in the lounge during the day and there's a large area to sit outside if its nice. The TAB is in a separate room, so it does not feel like you are sat in a betting shop. Meals/snacks are served. Taxi's are available from the rank outside the hotel.

The plan is just to have an informal get together over a beer or three and show that there is life beyond the CBD.

I hope that we can have a good afternoon and that we'll all make some new friends in this great part of the world.

More at: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519727
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

karlphillips is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: The Sydney Thread.

Hi there

New to this thread so bear with me.

Applied for a 175 visa in October (Still waiting) but now possibly have the chance of moving to Sydney with a sponsored job. Need to find somewhere to live near the coast in a low-crime area with good secondary school (have a 12 year old daughter) Any recommendations? Someone told me to consider some of the places just outside Sydney to the South. I'll be working in the CBD so need to be able to catch a train from where we end up.

Can anyone help?

Karl
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Sydney is great
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seayork2002
We are possibly thinkking of moving back to Sydney and would like suggestions of fairly central places to live (renting) that are ok for babies, like baby groups etc
Try the Inner West - Ashfield, Burwood, Croydon etc. Inexpensive, on main train line to city (15 mins trip) , and 20 - 30 mins to most places by car off-peak. Rentals very tight at the moment. Expect to queue up with 30 or so other hopefuls and put in an application and hope for the best - seriously. It's pretty dire at the moment.
TC
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Hi, Visa granted and we are one our way to Sydney end of June We will get a house from OH's work, who have houses all over Sydney...... There are The North Shore Region, Eastern Suburbs, Inner West, RydeParramatta, St. George District and Sutherland Shire. OH will be working in Paddington. Is there any of you who know what areas to avoid or any great areas (have 2 small kids) ?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millie11
Hi, Visa granted and we are one our way to Sydney end of June We will get a house from OH's work, who have houses all over Sydney...... There are The North Shore Region, Eastern Suburbs, Inner West, RydeParramatta, St. George District and Sutherland Shire. OH will be working in Paddington. Is there any of you who know what areas to avoid or any great areas (have 2 small kids) ?
If your husband is working in Paddington, then the obvious area to live is the Eastern suburbs. This is one of the most expensive parts of the city so to have housing provided is a godsend.

Is your husband in the army? If the Eastern suburbs housing is in the Randwick/Maroubra area then you'd be nuts to consider living anywhere else. It has good schools, good shopping, cafes and restaurants galore and beaches down the road. The perfect place for kids, really.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: The Sydney Thread.

So, do you really have to be rich to live in Sydney? are there still places quite near the centre that you might be able to afford?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NickyC
If your husband is working in Paddington, then the obvious area to live is the Eastern suburbs. This is one of the most expensive parts of the city so to have housing provided is a godsend.

Is your husband in the army? If the Eastern suburbs housing is in the Randwick/Maroubra area then you'd be nuts to consider living anywhere else. It has good schools, good shopping, cafes and restaurants galore and beaches down the road. The perfect place for kids, really.
Hi, Nicky, Yes OH is in the army and Randwick/Maroubra is on the list Thank you for your help. Are you/OH in the army?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.