Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney recon mission. Anyone tried it this way before?

Sydney recon mission. Anyone tried it this way before?

Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future
Default Sydney recon mission. Anyone tried it this way before?

My family and I are going out to Sydney anytime between Nov 2010 - Feb 2011 for 2/3 weeks. My wifes Sister in Law lives in Sydney.

We're using this trip to check out schools, the housing market, what we can afford near the best schools, job prospect and general cost of living etc. etc.

I intend to contact several potential employers and maybe even apply for positions advertised on Seek and set up some interviews. I'm going to take my portfolio and a lot of my work can be seen online anyway.

Does anybody think companies would let me in the door to talk to them? Has anybody tried finding employment this way? My intention is to gain empoyer sponsorship. I don't need the company to pay for the move, just want the job.

Thanks guys
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney recon mission. Anyone tried it this way before?

Sydney, NS, Canada or Sydney in Australia. If the latter then you are in wrong forum.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alienfeet
My family and I are going out to Sydney anytime between Nov 2010 - Feb 2011 for 2/3 weeks. My wifes Sister in Law lives in Sydney.

We're using this trip to check out schools, the housing market, what we can afford near the best schools, job prospect and general cost of living etc. etc.

I intend to contact several potential employers and maybe even apply for positions advertised on Seek and set up some interviews. I'm going to take my portfolio and a lot of my work can be seen online anyway.

Does anybody think companies would let me in the door to talk to them? Has anybody tried finding employment this way? My intention is to gain empoyer sponsorship. I don't need the company to pay for the move, just want the job.

Thanks guys
Yep, plenty of people do it that way. Have a look at the Job Hunting section of the Wiki and you'll see that it's not only advised, but the only way most people find job offers.

This Wiki article may be useful.....http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Scouting_Trip-Canada

But as Crazy said, it's only applicable if you are definitely heading to Sydney in Canada! Just that your other info seems to indicate Australia.

Good luck.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future

sorry my mistake, Should be in Australia forum. Thanks anyway
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alienfeet
sorry my mistake, Should be in Australia forum. Thanks anyway
I suspected it may! I'll move it for you.