Reload this Page >

Sydney Mortgages Higher Than London or New York

Sydney Mortgages Higher Than London or New York

Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:09 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney Mortgages Higher Than London or New York

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Most are privately owned, or more precisely: owned by rich Germans!
And irrational rich Germans at that! Apparently.

I wonder what sort of return they're getting. Poor loves must be losing billions in lost opportunity.

Transfer taxes and costs in Germany are high and I think there is a tax you if you sell within a certain amount of time. These create drag on a market (which is not always a bad thing - especially in times of exuberance).
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Evelin
no, they are not more rational, they don't like to take risks and they are worried to death that they lose their property in case they loose their job. Germans are very grounded people, they tend to buy ONE property in their life and they like to stick with the same job/company until they retire. But that is changing. I'm original from Germany, although I owned my own property, as you say, the majority of people rents. Germans have few children, like to spend their money on themselves, eg car (Merc, BMW, Audi) and holidays. The pension system is differently too which is part of their calculation. Properties are very much cheaper than in OZ and mortgage rates are very much lower too.
So they ARE more rational then? At least thats how I would generically describe people who do not depend on spectacular appreciation in property values for their financial security.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And irrational rich Germans at that! Apparently.

I wonder what sort of return they're getting. Poor loves must be losing billions in lost opportunity.
How are they irrational? They are low risk investments based on good yields and steady capital appreciation in line with inflation.

How's that breakeven for rental versus mortgage going for you?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve2009
How are they irrational? They are low risk investments based on good yields and steady capital appreciation in line with inflation.

How's that breakeven for rental versus mortgage going for you?
I don't know. You suggested that German renters were rational. That would make German non-renters non-rational. Unless everyone is rational. In which case why did you use that qualifier?

Fantastic. I retired 4 years before my planned retirement date and I have no mortgages or debts any more. How's it going for you?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know. You suggested that German renters were rational. That would make German non-renters non-rational. Unless everyone is rational. In which case why did you use that qualifier?
That's quite a deductive leap you've made there. Why do German homeowners have to be irrational if renters are rational?

It's going great for me. I have a large pot of capital and high disposable income. Freedom is great.

Last edited by Steve2009; Oct 12th 2010 at 5:30 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:30 am
Account Closed

That's quite a deductive leap you've made there. Why do German homeowners have to be irrational if renters are rational?

How's your 7 year breakeven for rent vs mortgage going?
And I allowed for the possibility that you meant something else. I sort of expected you'd take that opening to explain but I guess not.

Great. How's it going for you?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Fantastic. I retired 4 years before my planned retirement date and I have no mortgages or debts any more. How's it going for you?
You got in at the right time then Good luck to you! I suspect future generations may not be so fortunate...
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

And I allowed for the possibility that you meant something else. I sort of expected you'd take that opening to explain but I guess not.
The yields offered by German housing make them an attractive low risk investment. The gap between the cost of renting and buying is probably not as pronounced and people can make the choice based on their own circumstances.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by littda01
You got in at the right time then Good luck to you! I suspect future generations may not be so fortunate...
Actually my first home (and I mean home) was bought in 1989. Probably one of the worst times to buy a house in the UK market. So not particularly fortunate there.

It brings up an interesting point in that rents were lower than mortgages then. So was it rational to buy at that time? The other interesting thing about that time was that although the house prices crashed by something like 30% rents continued to rise.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

The other interesting thing about that time was that although the house prices crashed by something like 30% rents continued to rise.
And interest rates were what then?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:41 am
Account Closed

The yields offered by German housing make them an attractive low risk investment. The gap between the cost of renting and buying is probably not as pronounced and people can make the choice based on their own circumstances.
OR

Because markets are irrational. In Germany plenty of people do rent. Maybe the Germans are more rational.
I'll let you work it out.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:41 am
Account Closed

And interest rates were what then?
Around 7% IIRC.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll let you work it out.
I'll help you out maybe.

People do not rent when it's hugely cheaper in Australia because the market is irrational. Lots of people rent in Germany and there is not such an irrational attachment to ownership. Germany is perhaps therefore a more rational market.

This does not in any way suggest that German home owners or investors are irrational.

How does your 7 year breakeven apply to current market prices? I'd love to see your model.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:57 am
Account Closed

I'll help you out maybe.

People do not rent when it's hugely cheaper in Australia because the market is irrational. Lots of people rent in Germany and there is not such an irrational attachment to ownership. Germany is perhaps therefore a more rational market.

This does not in any way suggest that German home owners or investors are irrational.

How does your 7 year breakeven apply to current market prices? I'd love to see your model.
Thanks for helping me out. You're so helpful. I don't know what I would do without you to help out. You're a real trooper.

For Ireland as per original response? I'll get it to you when I've finished it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

For Ireland as per original response? I'll get it to you when I've finished it.
For Ireland and Australia if you don't mind. I love the patronising tone. I've encountered plenty like you before. I pitied them too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.