Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney and Melbourne in top 20 best cities in the world

Sydney and Melbourne in top 20 best cities in the world

Old May 30th 2010, 12:59 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney and Melbourne in top 20 best cities in the world

Originally Posted by bcworld
So Greece = Europe?
Is the Deutsch-speaking Austria/Germany/Switzerland cluster representative of all Europe?
Old May 30th 2010, 1:07 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Sydney has some of the cheapest housing in the developed world.

measuring 6m by 2.5m - the transformed shipping container is available for $35,000 [house only]
Old May 30th 2010, 1:24 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Well how about the EIU's ten 'best' cities in the world?

1 Vancouver Canada
2 Vienna Austria
3 Melbourne Australia
4 Toronto Canada
5 Calgary Canada
6 Helsinki Finland
7 Sydney Australia
8 Perth Australia
8 Adelaide Australia
10 Auckland New Zealand

only shows how subjective rankings could be
Old May 30th 2010, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Since leaving the UK I've been back in London in 2007, 2008 & this year - every time I've had absolutely fantastic experiences with public transport. I also didn't find it expensive. Picked up an Oyster card at Heathrow and my fare to Acton on the tube was £1.30. That could be as low as £2.40 to Central London (similar journey would be $15 in Sydney).

The equivalent of your £25 would probably be a MyMulti1 ticket in Sydney at $41. But I reckon you get a whole lot more service in London.
Tend to agree with your comments with regards to public transport in Sydney and London.
Having days with time on my hands i find i am discovering places that i never went to before in all the years of living in London.
A large part due to the system here being so diverse and frequent.Also the Oyster Card allows me to make as many trips on trains or bus as i wish.
While in Perth there the local Smart Card charged per trip.Although Perth transport costs are less than Sydney or Melbourne.
Old May 30th 2010, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I did live in London for 3 years, and I didn't have many complaints about the transport then - getting on the tube at Clapham Common in the morning was fun! - it generally seems better now. My friends who still live there and have something to compare it against generally sing its praises as well.

As for the £2.40:
Find myself using the Tube or a bus most days and have no real complaints.The system for providing information to customers with regards to times of next train or bus is first rate.
The Tube stations by and large appear a lot cleaner and safety doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
Took a tube from Kings Cross(London) after midnight last night saw not the slightest hint of any aggro,in fact if anything the reverse.
A lot of money is going into the Tube system as witnessed by whole segments of lines being closed on weekends..which can be a bit of a pain.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
$148,000 House only

Now, as for the LAND......