Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney here we come!

Sydney here we come!

Old May 13th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney here we come!

With valium for the flight of course! Very excited as need a hol! Any ideas on what to do with 3 growing lads? We're hiring a car for the week, Blue Mountains is a must but we only have 8 days???? is it worth the drive up to nelson bay or do you save that for another hol??? Staying near hyde Park, Goulburn St to anyone thats local. i haven't seen my family in 8 years following a rift (not caused by me - but my sister)!!! I finally contacted my cousin and he was overjoyed to hear from me, thought he'd done something wrong for the last 8 yrs! The boys will be meeting aunts, uncles, cousins and long lost rellies (all on one day apparently).

But after that.... whats a girl to do to keep her littlens entertained?
Old May 14th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney here we come!

How old are your boys? Most of the below would be a good idea for 3 plus.

There is plenty to do in Sydney - the trouble will be choosing what if you only have 8 days. Darling Harbour is the best starting point - as well as just being a nice place to wander round there is a good play ground for little ones. Wildlife World and Sydney Aquarium are next door to each other - both nice, but not overwhelming (you can get a good deal by buying admission to both together - you don't have to go to both on the same day). The Maritime Museum is there as well - free entry to the museum but you pay to go on the boats/submarine. If the Endeavour is docked there it's boy heaven.

My kids love Chinatown - nice and buzzy in the evenings and half the fun is wandering trying to decide where to eat. Speaking of eating, the James Squire brewery in Darling Harbour feeds an under 12 free for every adult buying a main course and a beer (well, if I must!). The Rocks is another good place for a wander and Pizza Zino is child friendly.

If it's not too cold, the Botanical Gardens is a nice place for a picnic. There are plenty of parks in the centre, but they don't have playgrounds.

If your boys are older I have been told that the Bridge Climb is spectacular (definitely a treat though as it's expensive). You can get various cruises or fast boat experiences around the harbour, but it's hard to beat the Manly ferry. Same view for a ferry ticket. Manly itself is worth a visit.

Have a look at www.sydneyschild.com.au for up to date family friendly listings. Have fun
Old May 14th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
How old are your boys? Most of the below would be a good idea for 3 plus.

There is plenty to do in Sydney - the trouble will be choosing what if you only have 8 days. Darling Harbour is the best starting point - as well as just being a nice place to wander round there is a good play ground for little ones. Wildlife World and Sydney Aquarium are next door to each other - both nice, but not overwhelming (you can get a good deal by buying admission to both together - you don't have to go to both on the same day). The Maritime Museum is there as well - free entry to the museum but you pay to go on the boats/submarine. If the Endeavour is docked there it's boy heaven.

My kids love Chinatown - nice and buzzy in the evenings and half the fun is wandering trying to decide where to eat. Speaking of eating, the James Squire brewery in Darling Harbour feeds an under 12 free for every adult buying a main course and a beer (well, if I must!). The Rocks is another good place for a wander and Pizza Zino is child friendly.

If it's not too cold, the Botanical Gardens is a nice place for a picnic. There are plenty of parks in the centre, but they don't have playgrounds.

If your boys are older I have been told that the Bridge Climb is spectacular (definitely a treat though as it's expensive). You can get various cruises or fast boat experiences around the harbour, but it's hard to beat the Manly ferry. Same view for a ferry ticket. Manly itself is worth a visit.

Have a look at www.sydneyschild.com.au for up to date family friendly listings. Have fun

Thanks for the reply they're 9,11 and 13 yrs - looking for as many free things as possible as its costing a fortune as it is!!!
Old May 14th 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

michdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant future

To echo the previous comment, the Maritime museum is a definite must for boys of your age. Any kids I've taken there love the Endeavour & the submarine that you can go on (for an extra charge - can't remember the cost though!).
Manly is always a good place to chill out - you can sit & watch the surfers which is quite cool & there's always something going on on the beachfront at weekends.The walk around to Shelly Beach is good.
Another good thing which our visitors enjoy is a Matilda cruise around the harbour. You can get on & off where you want & then, back on when next boat comes. It stops at Luna Park, Fort Denison, Watsons' Bay (which is a good place to get fish & chips!), Taronga Zoo & Darling Harbour. Taronga Zoo is also good to go to. Sorry - not many of these are free but kids do enjoy them.
The aboriginal centre in Darling Harbour puts on a free show about 3 times a day & the guy plays the didgeridoo & talks to you about how to make the sounds etc. It lasts about half an hour & my son really enjoyed it. It's much more authentic than the performers on circular quay! You can spend some time wandering around circular quay watching the street performers on the way to the Opera house. Kids usually enjoy it even when we've got bored with it & want to move on!
For a bus trip, you could go out of the city on a bus to Palm Beach up through the Northern Beaches which are lovely. At Palm Beach, you can climb up to the top of the light house. Or get off the bus at Dee Why beach & walk along the beach to Long Reef headland - fantastic views. Stop off for a fantastic gelato at the Chill bar on Dee Why beach...

Just a few ideas but have a fab time ...!!
Old May 20th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

2nd all the suggestions about catching ferries and seeing the city sights- I would make sure to include the Harbour Bridge (if the climb is out of your budget visit the little known museum in the bridge pylon- $6 to enter and what a view!!) Darling Harbour, Centrepoint Tower, Luna Park, museums, Taronga Zoo etc.

If you can, hire a car and drive to North Head in Manly- awesome views and then you can go and walk down the Esplanade and eat ice-cream. Nice part of the world.

In the CBD jump on the Red Explorer bus and see the city first to gain a better aspect. Alternatively, get an all day travel pass and use public transport to find your way around. Jump on a train to Bondi and Cronulla if your boys like beaches (though it'll be a tad cold this time of year!)

Blue Mountains are beautiful too- make sure you do the steep railway and skyway at Katoomba as well as the Three Sisters- lots of nice cafes and art and craft places as well.

Have a great time !!!
Old May 20th 2008, 7:07 am
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michdp
The aboriginal centre in Darling Harbour puts on a free show about 3 times a day & the guy plays the didgeridoo & talks to you about how to make the sounds etc. It lasts about half an hour & my son really enjoyed it. It's much more authentic than the performers on circular quay!

Just a few ideas but have a fab time ...!!

Ive been to the aboriginal centre on previous visits and it is good, however its moved now, I tried to take my friend yesterday and it's not in darling harbour anymore, its in the Rocks, not sure where coz I didnt go in the end but Im sure its not to hard to find.

If you do decide to go to the northern beachs, you can stop off at Narrabeen and go kayaking on the lake. Or if you are staying in sydney take them on the stunt powerboat that leaves from circular quay, it can be costly but you can negotiate them down on price, its lots of fun, but be prepared to get wet! (go on the red one coz its better than the purple one next to it, cant remember the company names sorry!)

Depending what you are doing in Sydney you can get a daytripper pass for $16 for an adult and it gets you on all the ferries,trains and buses for the day (doesnt include the monorail or the red explorer bus tho)

If you do go to the botanic gardens next to the opera house, take the boys in to where the visitor centre is and tell them to look up, the trees are full of huge fruit bats - brilliant !