Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney is a damn expensive city!

Sydney is a damn expensive city!

Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:05 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney is a damn expensive city!

When we first moved to Sydney I felt the same as you but you soon learn to shop around and buy in the sales or online. I suppose you get used to it a d stop converting to pounds
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
When we first moved to Sydney I felt the same as you but you soon learn to shop around and buy in the sales or online. I suppose you get used to it a d stop converting to pounds
I'm the other way around asher, I'm Australian and hadn't travelled to the UK until I met my husband from Liverpool. When I'm over there I'm constantly converting stuff into dollars and being amazed how cheap it is
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My husband gets his business shirts from Lewins online - even with postage they are still half the price they are here.
We stock up when we go to the UK- seems to be once every 2 years, so go with empty cases and come back bulging. We go to the retail outlet place in Brigend as it is on the way from Wiltshire to Pembrokeshire. Good quality bargains!!

Loathe Primark- the stuff is tatty, poorly finished and thrown into confused heaps so is not at all attractive to browse though.I feel dirty and in need of a wash if I ever venture in there. Yet here, I use SES and big W- $3 t-shirts, as I'm trying to save money, and that is nearly as bad.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

When I'm in the UK, I try to buy quality stuff, especially shoes that are 4* the price here.
Got some Primark stuff when we went over in winter, just for wearing there.

No point in getting cheap tatt - can get that here in target and Big W. Quality items see the biggest differential (e.g. fully lined black work jacket - Myer $400, NEXT 70 quid or so) To be honest, I don't shop in Brisbane as I can't bring myself to pay prices even when earning Aus $
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We stock up on clothes and shoes when we're visiting family in the UK. Top notch quality and amazing prices. I never really thought about prices in Oz until I started travelling, now I've turned into a whinging Aussie

And, I'm not into discount shops like the $2 shop here but I did have a look in Pound Land in the UK - so many good brands of toiletries and cosmetics for a quid! I have to restrain myself from filling my suitcase with them.
Same here.Although include Germany in the equation and buy directly from the warehouse. Top quality gear.Shoes included. I wouldn't go clothes shopping in Perth for anything above shorts,singlets sort of stuff.
Same for books ....another gigantic rip off here. Buy from Uk.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We buy shoes and some clothes in Harbour Town (outlet shopping - Gold Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth). I've had some real bargains.

For cheapo stuff I use La Redoute mail order from France. Their sale prices are very low and stuff gets delivered in just over a week. They charge for shipping, but they deduct the VAT which just about cancels it out. I bought 3 pairs of leather ballerina shoes and a beautiful suede tote bag for just over a $100 earlier this month.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Same here.Although include Germany in the equation and buy directly from the warehouse. Top quality gear.Shoes included. I wouldn't go clothes shopping in Perth for anything above shorts,singlets sort of stuff.
Same for books ....another gigantic rip off here. Buy from Uk.
Have been to quite a few countries in Europe but haven't made it to Germany yet - very keen after reading that troubadour! My sisters and I fly over to Melbourne once a year to check out the DFOs - even they're heaven compared to Perth shopping.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

All cities in Australia are damn expensive
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:00 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
All cities in Australia are damn expensive
that's old as news.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
that's old as news.
Just replying to the original post
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Have been to quite a few countries in Europe but haven't made it to Germany yet - very keen after reading that troubadour! My sisters and I fly over to Melbourne once a year to check out the DFOs - even they're heaven compared to Perth shopping.
Germany is perhaps one of the truely underratted countries in Europe. Down South there is an area full of brand names sold cheaply directly from warehouses. Rather famous in the South and folk from all over the country visit there.

Melbourne is indeed head and shoulders above Perth when it comes to shopping. Perth is a big let down these days having way over shot its worth as a city.
I can see a bid exodos from here come the mining boom downturn. I'd holg off buying property that's for sure.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

that's old as news.
Old news for some but as relevant as ever. Rip off Perth should be clearly labeled for what it is.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:57 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Germany is perhaps one of the truely underratted countries in Europe. Down South there is an area full of brand names sold cheaply directly from warehouses. Rather famous in the South and folk from all over the country visit there.

Melbourne is indeed head and shoulders above Perth when it comes to shopping. Perth is a big let down these days having way over shot its worth as a city.
I can see a bid exodos from here come the mining boom downturn. I'd holg off buying property that's for sure.
Berlin is one of the cheapest destinations.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've been banging on about Germany for years on here - a very impressive country. It's relatively cheap, clean, efficient, nice people etc. I could very easily live there - especially down near the Austrian border. In fact, we've looked into it and given the strength of the AUD I could afford to semi-retire - and have a 911.

I still love Perth though. Shopping is not important to me, especially when we have the internet and Singapore and KL are close by.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Berlin is one of the cheapest destinations.
Berlin is great and very cheap. Property is very good value there.

Weather is grim though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.