Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney crime zones to avoid

Sydney crime zones to avoid

Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney crime zones to avoid

Originally Posted by galwaykoala
Hi
Will you be at home all day with baby or will you work.? Sometimes the travel time getting to and from work and time away from baby become a drain and difficult to handle. The extra cost of renting say on the North Shore against convenience and ease of travel are well worth it. We lived in Sydney for 20+ years and would recommend the North Shore. It might not be as expensive as you think...... all things considered.
I guess you are right.... a few hundreds more a month will be worth the conveninence. I'll check out North Shore options on domain.com.au.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:14 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
I haven't done any research on those areas but $400 sounds low for anywhere suitable for a family, so close to the city.
It will get you a small 2 bedroom unit around Bondi.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

galwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant future

Check out areas like Cremorne Point, Mosman, Neutral Bay. They have a village like atmosphere and are serviced by bus and ferry less than 10 minutes from the city. We have just come back from Sydney after a three month stay in Cremorne Point and miss all its charm and beauty. Milson Road runs down along the harbour and although the properties are older they are not that expensive to rent....if you weigh it against the cost of a car petrol insurance etc. We rented a car but gave it back after a week as it was easier to get about by bus and ferry. One other thing to note: it is quite difficult to rent without being in employment first....just thought I would mention that as I met a couple while on holidays who had just arrived from the UK. They were staying with friends and were unable to get a rental property until they gave proof of employment which took about two months.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:36 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caliburn
I have budgeted $400/w for rental. In the east, Eastlakes and Randwick suburbs appear good. Any views?
Randwick is OK but Eastlakes is a dump. You could probably get a nicer place in the Eastern Suburbs.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:00 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

please please please go look at the suburbs before setting your ideas in stone.
We formed definite ideas of what we wanted before we came out they were so wrong!!

the best research is a drive around the suburbs for a look see on a weekend and then a week day.

Some suburbs are like ghost towns despite all their 'leafiness' others are heaving at 4am at the weekend!

find your work place estimate your preferred commute time then look at suburbs in that area
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:23 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

asher speaks sense.

We did our recce after we'd signed up and walked miles and miles - we didn't drive because we thought we would get a better idea on foot, although after a couple of days of walking and narrowing it down, we did go out in a car with a relo agent.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by IvanM
Randwick is OK but Eastlakes is a dump. You could probably get a nicer place in the Eastern Suburbs.
Randwick is a nice suburb, but very popular meaning that $400 may get you a 1 bed place but if any 2 bed places are available there will he harsh competition. Make sure you have copies of any documentation you can think of (passports, bank statements, references, etc), and obtain and complete application forms in advance from the real estate website if possible.

Avoid Eastlakes altogether.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by galwaykoala
Check out areas like Cremorne Point, Mosman, Neutral Bay. They have a village like atmosphere and are serviced by bus and ferry less than 10 minutes from the city. We have just come back from Sydney after a three month stay in Cremorne Point and miss all its charm and beauty. Milson Road runs down along the harbour and although the properties are older they are not that expensive to rent....if you weigh it against the cost of a car petrol insurance etc. We rented a car but gave it back after a week as it was easier to get about by bus and ferry. One other thing to note: it is quite difficult to rent without being in employment first....just thought I would mention that as I met a couple while on holidays who had just arrived from the UK. They were staying with friends and were unable to get a rental property until they gave proof of employment which took about two months.
Absolutely - renting is impossible without proof of employment and income or 6 months rent upfront.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'd read the online papers and get a feel for what's going on - or at least being reported.

It's usually mainly in the "south west", there is often drunken weekend violence down Oxford Street, the Bra Boys run parts of the eastern beaches and the bikies like firebombing tattoo parlours.

The North Shore is not as crime-free as you might think either - kids visit, get drunk and run riot the Yummy Mummy suburb of Manly, and recently a SWAT team surprised the sleepy diners at one of my local (McMahons Point) cafes by coming in through the windows.

Gangsters like to live in nice areas, too but at least they mostly target each other.
One bloke was shot in broad daylight yesteday in Sydney west. That attests to the view that Sydney west is generally unsafe.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by highersights
Absolutely - renting is impossible without proof of employment and income or 6 months rent upfront.
I did... i could only offer 6 weeks upfront which they didnt take anyway. You have to make friends with the estate agents and let them know your situation, once you find a friendly one they are more likely to go out of their way - I only found one willing to btw - the rest couldnt give a toss that i had just 2 weeks to find a place as container had arrived.

Oh and im a single mum with 2 kids and a dog!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by homewardbound
I did... i could only offer 6 weeks upfront which they didnt take anyway. You have to make friends with the estate agents and let them know your situation, once you find a friendly one they are more likely to go out of their way - I only found one willing to btw - the rest couldnt give a toss that i had just 2 weeks to find a place as container had arrived.

Oh and im a single mum with 2 kids and a dog!
But was this in Sydney in the last 6 months? It is incomparable now to 2-3 years ago. We did the same though - got to know an agent and got on friendly terms. Still, without poof of employment we would certainly not have got our place, which is reasonable at $550 week (2 bed house) but poorly maintained - I've had to do some painting. I wouldn't take on anyone either unless I knew they were employed and could pay the rent. We have a dog as well - it seems to cut down your rental options by about 90-95% - which is a nightmare in Sydney. At the moment, the Sydney rental market is a disaster. I feel sorry for anyone coming to Sydney to rent right now - it is a really demoralising experience
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

But was this in Sydney in the last 6 months? It is incomparable now to 2-3 years ago. We did the same though - got to know an agent and got on friendly terms. Still, without poof of employment we would certainly not have got our place, which is reasonable at $550 week (2 bed house) but poorly maintained - I've had to do some painting. I wouldn't take on anyone either unless I knew they were employed and could pay the rent. We have a dog as well - it seems to cut down your rental options by about 90-95% - which is a nightmare in Sydney. At the moment, the Sydney rental market is a disaster. I feel sorry for anyone coming to Sydney to rent right now - it is a really demoralising experience
I have been talking to my friend who lived in Sydney for 6 years and she thought the following suburbs were OK for a family (we will be moving over very soon, 2 adults and one child - we will also be bringing a number of pets over once we have found somewhere to live):

Kogorah
Penhurst
Mortdale
Oatley
Strathfield
Asfield
Burwood Heights
Hurstville

She said avoid Redfern and Cabramatta.

She also said to live on the blue or yellow train line but avoid the purple one.

Does anybody know much about the suburbs above? On the rental sites they look OK and reasonably priced.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:20 am
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

Randwick is a nice suburb, but very popular meaning that $400 may get you a 1 bed place but if any 2 bed places are available there will he harsh competition. Make sure you have copies of any documentation you can think of (passports, bank statements, references, etc), and obtain and complete application forms in advance from the real estate website if possible.

Avoid Eastlakes altogether.
Eastlakes is mostly one big council estate but Randwick is tip top -cos i live there! I've always loved the east since coming here 10 yrs ago, coming back and forth a few times then settling here. Coogee just down the road has a lovely beach and you can get a bus to the city in 20mins. Nice chilled out atmosphere and generally decent people. I pay $400 pw for a nice 2 bed flat so its not cheap but not out the question. Houses cost a lot more but as a location goes its about as good as your going to get.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Laxor will become famous soon enough

Places in the south west like Cabramatta which have more residents born in Vietnam than Australia would never be any interest to British expats anyway you would stand out like a sore thumb.

You really need to do list the suburbs that suit you best price wise then do a wrecky to check them out first hand.

If I had to make a pick from this list

"Kogorah
Penhurst
Mortdale
Oatley
Strathfield
Asfield
Burwood Heights
Hurstville"

Mortdale and Oatley would be the most family oriented and leafy of the group.

Hurstville, Strathfield and Ashfield are more bustling and multicultural. Penshurst and burwood would maybe be somewhere in between.

Last edited by Laxor; Feb 8th 2009 at 8:26 am.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Laxor
Places in the south west like Cabramatta which have more residents born in Vietnam than Australia would never be any interest to British expats anyway you would stand out like a sore thumb.

You really need to do list the suburbs that suit you best price wise then do a wrecky to check them out first hand.

If I had to make a pick from this list

"Kogorah
Penhurst
Mortdale
Oatley
Strathfield
Asfield
Burwood Heights
Hurstville"

Mortdale and Oatley would be the most family oriented and leafy of the group.

Hurstville, Strathfield and Ashfield are more bustling and multicultural. Penshurst and burwood would maybe be somewhere in between.
Cool - thanks.

I do plan to check these places out when I get there next wee. I will be working in Ashfield so that one will be easy to check out.

My friend tols me she thought Mortdale and Oatley were great and she lived there for ages....so will check them out to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.