Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney, Australia vs. Toronto, Canada

Sydney, Australia vs. Toronto, Canada

Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:44 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney, Australia vs. Toronto, Canada

Most people in very sunny climates suffer significant noticeable sun damage, Australians, South Africans and those from Southern Europe.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Most people in very sunny climates suffer significant noticeable sun damage, Australians, South Africans and those from Southern Europe.
It would be interesting to find some stats on that. Strangely, I don't find the sun nearly as harsh here in Oz compared to South Africa, especially in Cape Town. I got baked there. Here, I barely get a tan. Florida was the worst though, but that was on holiday from England and we overdid it.

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 20th 2014 at 10:31 am.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
May be so. How would you compare other southern hemisphere cultures though e.g. South Africans, Brasilians etc...?

Just curious, as Saffas are generally sun worshippers. I was amazed at how Lilly white most Ozzies were, when I arrived here, and still am.
Yeah I find Aussies are pretty scared of the sun these days. My wife used to worship the sun when we came to Oz on holidays. Now that she lives here and had a few roastings, she's really protective of her skin and barely goes out in it without full protection.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

What a very offensive person you are.
What sweeping generalisations you make about Australians.

When I lived in the Middle East, the Aussie kids were the ones by the pool with the full sleeved rashies, long board shorts and zinc all over their faces while the Brits were the ones in their bikinis burnt to a crisp. It's funny, the group of Aussie girls I hung around were always being asked by other nationalities about why we didn't all have dark tans like they expected us to. My grandfather was an old bushy and always working in the north west sun - and I remember when he was dying, the doctor was amazed at how lovely and youthful his skin was for a man in his 80's. As well as genetics playing a part, he'd always worn long pants, long sleeved shirts, an akubra and boots, his skin was almost flawless.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
What sweeping generalisations you make about Australians.

When I lived in the Middle East, the Aussie kids were the ones by the pool with the full sleeved rashies, long board shorts and zinc all over their faces while the Brits were the ones in their bikinis burnt to a crisp. It's funny, the group of Aussie girls I hung around were always being asked by other nationalities about why we didn't all have dark tans like they expected us to. My grandfather was an old bushy and always working in the north west sun - and I remember when he was dying, the doctor was amazed at how lovely and youthful his skin was for a man in his 80's. As well as genetics playing a part, he'd always worn long pants, long sleeved shirts, an akubra and boots, his skin was almost flawless.
Meet Chris ...... partial and unbalanced ..... ready for the smiley face
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Meet Chris ...... partial and unbalanced ..... ready for the smiley face
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah I find Aussies are pretty scared of the sun these days. My wife used to worship the sun when we came to Oz on holidays. Now that she lives here and had a few roastings, she's really protective of her skin and barely goes out in it without full protection.
This is a photo taken in the late 1920's, early 1930's of my dad, his aunts, his mum and his grandma, picking flowers in outback WA. My family even covered up totally from the sun then. My parents used to go ballistic when I would get a tan when I was a teenager, fortunately I nipped it in the bud before too much damage was done.
Attached Thumbnails Sydney, Australia vs. Toronto, Canada-10155707_10204490772495730_875159816543023143_n.jpg  
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Surprisingly I don't see many tanned girls here on my way to work, just lots of lovely milky legs striding to the station and the prompt definition of the figure due to essential clothing. Because of the sunlight I wear oversized sunglasses that permit me to enjoy viewing without the worry of detection - although it does mean I miss out on all the pretty eyes because everyone else is wearing the damn things.

I could never get away with wearing such large sunglasses in the UK - people would think I was a pervert!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough Aussie health experts these days are worried about Vitamin D deficiencies because the average Aussie blocks too much sun out because of the skin cancer fears. I wonder what the average Aussie will look like in years to come.
+1 - some recent blood tests showed that I have a Vit D deficiency, and I've live in Australia all my life.

I also have beautiful skin, long blonde hair and blue eyes. I also talk a load of bollocks sometimes
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

More bollocks as usual
Waiting for the smiley reply
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
+1 - some recent blood tests showed that I have a Vit D deficiency, and I've live in Australia all my life.

I also have beautiful skin, long blonde hair and blue eyes. I also talk a load of bollocks sometimes
Well at least you are honest
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least you are honest
That I am Chris. And although I'm not blonde haired and blue eyed, I actually do have very nice skin - combination of genes and looking after it
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It would be interesting to find some stats on that. Strangely, I don't find the sun nearly as harsh here in Oz compared to South Africa, especially in Cape Town. I got baked there. Here, I barely get a tan. Florida was the worst though, but that was on holiday from England and we overdid it.
Australia has the 4th highest skin cancer rate of death, South Africa 8th. The US is quite low by virtue of the fact that the climate is so variable and much of the country is not what would be considered 'hot and sunny'.
The incidence of skin cancer amongst Australians is 13 times higher than the global average.
Yes things ar changing but go down to any beach on any day and look at the young girls especially burning themselves to crisps.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That I am Chris. And although I'm not blonde haired and blue eyed, I actually do have very nice skin - combination of genes and looking after it
My wife has blonde hair, blue eyes and great skin from looking after it and rarely going out in the sun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.