Reload this Page >

Sydney, Australia vs. Toronto, Canada

Sydney, Australia vs. Toronto, Canada

Old Aug 11th 2014, 4:04 am
Just Joined

davidso1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney, Australia vs. Toronto, Canada

Hi all,

There's been a few posts here and there, in this forum and others, comparing Sydney and Toronto. I thought I would chime in and offer my two cents by starting a new post.

I grew up in Toronto and have lived there all my life. I'm in my 30s now, and recently moved to Sydney for work. I've been in Australia for a year now. I also want to say that I've lived in Chicago, Hong Kong, and London, so I have experiences living elsewhere.

But frankly, hands down, I prefer Toronto over Sydney. Here are my reasons why:

Sydney is very pretty, much more prettier than Toronto, that's for sure. The harbour, the beaches, the Opera House. But honestly, that's pretty much it. To me, having been in Sydney for a year, it's a very "superficial" city in that there's nothing underneath. Think of the Opera House for a moment. It's strikingly beautiful, but the Sydney Symphony is second rate, and there is no resident opera or ballet company. There are multiple sports teams (rugby, Aussie rules football, etc.), but there are no arts. Yeah, the Lion King is playing, but that's it. The Opera Australia and Australian Ballet come to Sydney every few months. The Opera House is beautiful but there's no substance underneath.

The weather. Toronto beats Sydney hands-down too. Here's why. Yes, there's snow in Toronto, for almost half a year. But honestly, there's a lot of beauty to snow. The classic image of Christmas is "white Christmas". To drink a cup of hot cocoa, hot coffee, hot whatever in winter has a unique feeling that can't be matched drinking the same beverage on a beach or in hot weather. And honestly, Sydney for most of the summer is too hot anyways. I read one survey with Britons recently that they consider the "best" weather to be between 20-25 Celsius. Toronto fits in that range for summer, and nearly a large part of spring too. Sydney? Yeah, it's hot, but much hotter than that. It's unbearable during the summer, and even during the spring too. And if you love to tan yourself, then Sydney's good in that respect. But honestly, Sydney is way too hot.

And speaking of weather in Sydney, during the winter, it's hell, in the sense that it can be extremely cool at night or in the morning but can go up to 18 or so during the day. There's no way to dress properly. (Reminds me of London in that respect).

Culture and diversity. Yeah, Sydney has great beaches, but again underneath, there's no substance. In Toronto, we have festivals that celebrate everything -- and it's different every week (during the summers at least). One week might be salsa, the next week might be a Chinatown festival, the next a Greek food festival, the next Caribbean culture, and so forth. What's in Sydney? There's wonderful "markets" -- Glebe, Rozelle, Bondi, and so forth. But it's the same each friggin' week. Seriously. You go to the market twice, and you've seen everything. Nothing changes.

Of course, these are my personal experiences. I'm single, and don't have kids. So I can't comment on schools. I also live pretty close to the CBD/downtown, so I haven't used transit as much. And I also don't think it's wise to compare cost of living, as this depends on so much more beyond the city. It's linked to the country, so I won't compare cost of living.

But honestly, I've been here for a year, and it's boring. Well, I shouldn't put it this way. I love going to Bondi and walking around the Opera House and the harbour in general. But to me, there really is no substance underneath all this beauty. Which is a shame, really, as Sydney doesn't really live up to its potential.

I'm sorry, Sydney. You're cool. But you're not *that* cool.

My two cents.
David
Old Aug 11th 2014, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney, Australia vs. Toronto, Canada

You are right. Winter should have snow - what's the point of doing it half arsed.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheerio then. All the best back in Toronto. Definitely a city I'd like to check out sometime.

Did you go to Melbourne? Sounds like you might prefer it there.

LOL at Sydney winters being 'hell'
Old Aug 11th 2014, 5:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

One's f**king hot

The other's f**king cold

Same, same but different
Old Aug 11th 2014, 5:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidso1983
Hi all,

There's been a few posts here and there, in this forum and others, comparing Sydney and Toronto. I thought I would chime in and offer my two cents by starting a new post.

I grew up in Toronto and have lived there all my life. I'm in my 30s now, and recently moved to Sydney for work. I've been in Australia for a year now. I also want to say that I've lived in Chicago, Hong Kong, and London, so I have experiences living elsewhere.

But frankly, hands down, I prefer Toronto over Sydney. Here are my reasons why:

Sydney is very pretty, much more prettier than Toronto, that's for sure. The harbour, the beaches, the Opera House. But honestly, that's pretty much it. To me, having been in Sydney for a year, it's a very "superficial" city in that there's nothing underneath. Think of the Opera House for a moment. It's strikingly beautiful, but the Sydney Symphony is second rate, and there is no resident opera or ballet company. There are multiple sports teams (rugby, Aussie rules football, etc.), but there are no arts. Yeah, the Lion King is playing, but that's it. The Opera Australia and Australian Ballet come to Sydney every few months. The Opera House is beautiful but there's no substance underneath.

The weather. Toronto beats Sydney hands-down too. Here's why. Yes, there's snow in Toronto, for almost half a year. But honestly, there's a lot of beauty to snow. The classic image of Christmas is "white Christmas". To drink a cup of hot cocoa, hot coffee, hot whatever in winter has a unique feeling that can't be matched drinking the same beverage on a beach or in hot weather. And honestly, Sydney for most of the summer is too hot anyways. I read one survey with Britons recently that they consider the "best" weather to be between 20-25 Celsius. Toronto fits in that range for summer, and nearly a large part of spring too. Sydney? Yeah, it's hot, but much hotter than that. It's unbearable during the summer, and even during the spring too. And if you love to tan yourself, then Sydney's good in that respect. But honestly, Sydney is way too hot.

And speaking of weather in Sydney, during the winter, it's hell, in the sense that it can be extremely cool at night or in the morning but can go up to 18 or so during the day. There's no way to dress properly. (Reminds me of London in that respect).

Culture and diversity. Yeah, Sydney has great beaches, but again underneath, there's no substance. In Toronto, we have festivals that celebrate everything -- and it's different every week (during the summers at least). One week might be salsa, the next week might be a Chinatown festival, the next a Greek food festival, the next Caribbean culture, and so forth. What's in Sydney? There's wonderful "markets" -- Glebe, Rozelle, Bondi, and so forth. But it's the same each friggin' week. Seriously. You go to the market twice, and you've seen everything. Nothing changes.

Of course, these are my personal experiences. I'm single, and don't have kids. So I can't comment on schools. I also live pretty close to the CBD/downtown, so I haven't used transit as much. And I also don't think it's wise to compare cost of living, as this depends on so much more beyond the city. It's linked to the country, so I won't compare cost of living.

But honestly, I've been here for a year, and it's boring. Well, I shouldn't put it this way. I love going to Bondi and walking around the Opera House and the harbour in general. But to me, there really is no substance underneath all this beauty. Which is a shame, really, as Sydney doesn't really live up to its potential.

I'm sorry, Sydney. You're cool. But you're not *that* cool.

My two cents.
David
Party on Garth

CF=0
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Rachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant future

Each to their own and I have only been to Toronto as a tourist, where I was frankly underwhelmed at the Ice Hockey museum (knowing nothing whatsoever about the game) But in defence of my hometown, there are a lot of theatre companies in Sydney and certainly other musical companies than the Sydney Symphony. Perhaps not as many as Toronto which is famous as a centre of the arts. But many festivals occur in Sydney in the suburbs nearly every weekend and if you got out of the city centre you might find much to interest you. For example last weekend was the City to Surf, this weekend is Ferragosto (Italian Festival) in Five Dock. The Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras has been happening for thirty-five years, there is the Festival of Sydney in January, Chinese New Year celebrations etc etc.
But for people who do have families and especially young children, life to the outsider may appear mundane. Your typical family has one partner working full-time and one part-time, kids in school and no household help since we do not have a source of cheap labour in this country. Weekends comprise grocery shopping, household chores, trips to Bunnings, visits to grandparents and to friends, watching kids sport and dance classes etc. Is this not the pattern of life in much of the western world?
I am sure Toronto is a very fine city in a wonderful country and also, like Sydney, probably suffers from having way too many people wanting to live there. Weather is subjective and what we get used to. I just suggest that you try to make the best of your time in Sydney by getting out of the centre.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:27 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure both are just big cities and equally unattractive as a place to live. I was totally underwhelmed by Sydney the 2 times we went. Its just a city with horrendous traffic like almost every other city.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 1:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen the point of 'comparing' countries/cities. You can like all, some or nothing of a place, and relay your opinions accordingly, but unless the two places you're discussing are the only choices you have to live in - then what's the point?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I found the comments on the arts, festivals and weather factually inaccurate.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Different opinions thats all.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I found the comments on the arts, festivals and weather factually inaccurate.
Yep. The weather was a bit wrong. No idea about the arts and crafts. Couldn't be less interested.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Laxor will become famous soon enough

Sydney actually isn't that 'hot' in summer. Minus the odd heatwave it's comparative to a Parisian summer. Overall it's very temperate.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Laxor will become famous soon enough

http://postimg.org/image/55arzgubr/

Actually there you go Toronto has warmer highs in summer than Sydney!

OP seems to have a massive chip on their shoulder.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Laxor
View image: weather

Actually there you go Toronto has warmer highs in summer than Sydney!

OP seems to have a massive chip on their shoulder.
Maybe OP mean humidity. Considering Toronto's location, low temps in winter and highs in summer it may not be a humid place. Never been there myself.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
Never been there myself.
It's an okay place if a bit overrated

There are better cities in Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.