Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Supply teaching whilst travelling in Australia

Supply teaching whilst travelling in Australia

Old Dec 15th 2015, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

emollart1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Supply teaching whilst travelling in Australia

Hi I am looking for some advice please.. I am a primary school teacher qualified to teach 5-11 year olds in the UK. I have a 3 year BA honours and a 1 year PGCE. I have completed my NQT induction year. I believe from reading another forum that these qualifications are enough to supply teach whilst I travel in Australia?!

The places I really want to visit are Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns and Perth. I am flexible about how long I spend in each place and would be willing to move around to anywhere there is more demand for casual teaching work.

Can anybody tell me if supply teaching works the same as it does in the UK in Australia and what the necessary requirements are.. Visa, DBS (or equivalent of) is there anything else I need? Has anybody done this before? Could you recommend a good agency that covers most areas of Australia?!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thankyou EM
Old Dec 16th 2015, 12:15 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supply teaching whilst travelling in Australia

I believe (but I am not a teacher) that you need to be registered by the individual State teaching authority to work in each state - they are autonomous in some ways (more like the US than the UK in that different states have different requirements) and love a good amount of red tape.

Might be worth having a search on each state board website.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is awash with unemployed primary school teachers. I would say your chances are minimal
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emollart1
Hi I am looking for some advice please.. I am a primary school teacher qualified to teach 5-11 year olds in the UK. I have a 3 year BA honours and a 1 year PGCE. I have completed my NQT induction year. I believe from reading another forum that these qualifications are enough to supply teach whilst I travel in Australia?! The places I really want to visit are Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns and Perth. I am flexible about how long I spend in each place and would be willing to move around to anywhere there is more demand for casual teaching work. Can anybody tell me if supply teaching works the same as it does in the UK in Australia and what the necessary requirements are.. Visa, DBS (or equivalent of) is there anything else I need? Has anybody done this before? Could you recommend a good agency that covers most areas of Australia?! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou EM
I'm a teacher in Qld and as another person mentioned each state registers its own teachers. You have the necessary qualifications to register here but it is quite a process to register - what visa you are on,background history, recognition of qualifications from UK, police checks from UK etc, fees and then it is another process to become able to teach in a school. Here in Qld, it is a system called Tracer and you have to be available most days to pick up work as it's a bit similar to UK in that once a school gets to know you, more work becomes available. None of this will happen quickly and as another person mentioned there are a lot of primary teachers out there and all the new graduates just finished in Dec so those without jobs will be applying in Jan when schools return at end of Jan. As I said this is just what I know of for Qld and each state varies. I think you might be able to do it but it will take you some time to apply and register so you will need to factor this process into your travelling time. Good luck and I'm sorry if this information is not wholly accurate but I think I've pretty much covered it for here in Qld and I'm sure other posters will give you more info.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Don't fancy your chances to be honest. Registering with every state you want to teach can take months then (in ACT at least) getting "known" enough to be offered the odd day here or there could take months and in the meantime you're not eating.

If you're on a WHV and think you want to teach your way around Australia I think I would reframe and get barista training and a licence to serve alcohol. Sorry - primary teaching in Aus is well oversubscribed with local talent.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 5:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
If you're on a WHV and think you want to teach your way around Australia I think I would reframe and get barista training and a licence to serve alcohol. Sorry - primary teaching in Aus is well oversubscribed with local talent.
Not sure I'd do that either tbh, well not in SEQLD anyway. I'd go the old fashioned WHV route; back pack, fruit pick etc. Certainly can't see teaching in the OPs future in Aus but I have been known to be wrong occasionally