Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SuperSeagulls returns

SuperSeagulls returns

Old Jun 4th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default SuperSeagulls returns

Hi everyone

SuperSeagulls is BACK!!!!!!!!!

I’ve been offline for nearly 4 months as I made my move to Australia via a 3 month trip around South America, and now that I am pretty much settled in Sydney, I thought it time to update you all on the move.

I arrived in Sydney at the start of May, very much looking forward to settling down in my own place with my girlfriend after three excellent, but tiring months, on the road living out of a backpack. I’d been to, and lived in Sydney before, so I knew what to expect when we landed.

Some of you will know that I had wanted to live in the Northern Beaches area, notably Manly, and that is exactly where we headed. We’d pre-booked some temporary accommodation in Manly for week and pretty much hit the ground running so far as looking for somewhere more permanent is concerned. We had a look round a few places and lucked out with the place we have got. In fact we found it on the third day of looking and moved in a few days later. The big rental day here is Saturday and that is when competition is most fierce as people are off work then and all looking at the same time. I didn’t really want to go through that if I didn’t have to. The retail agency took the names of a couple of referees but I don’t think they checked up on us. We paid the bond and the deposit, our face obviously fit, and in we moved, a week to the day after arriving here. Now the beauty of renting here is that there is NO COUNCIL TAX, NO TV LICENCE (there isn’t one in Australia) and NO WATER RATES. The landlord pays them. You just have to pay the utility bills. What a result. Although our rent is slightly more than what we paid in the UK (although we are now in a two-bed unit on the sea front as opposed to a terraced two bedroom house) this is compensated for by the fact you don’t have to pay the extra bills.

Ok, so we moved in to an unfurnished place, and it literally meant, unfurnished. There wasn’t even a fridge. So we spent what has turned out to be the next three weeks going round Sydney and buying all the essentials. This has meant numerous trips to IKEA. But finally we have got the unit sorted and can begin to really enjoy life here. Our shipment arrived in excellent condition from the UK (I used Excess International Movers) although some DVDs were missing – we do not know if it was down to foul play or us putting them in the wrong (charity shop) pile in the madness of moving back in the UK. Nothing was damaged and everything is in working order. I would recommend them to you all.

I haven’t started looking for work yet, although I am beginning to get round to it. My girlfriends found work quite quickly through one of the many agencies here. In NSW, you also have 3 months to get a NSW Driver Licence (which costs). Your UK one is then revoked (they put a hole through it). I still need to do that.

So, so far so good and I am loving it here. The goodbyes were hard back in the UK but it is all worth the tears now. MSN and Skype is a life-saver, although Internet Providers over here are very stingy. Everything is limited, whether it be download speeds or data.

The winter has just kicked in but even on the greyest of days, and there have barely been any in the last month, you can’t help but smile when you walk along that beachfront, or pop into the ocean for a surf, or get a ferry to Circular Quay.

The only thing I am really missing at the moment is the World Cup build up. Luckily free-to-air chanel, SBS, is showing all 64 games, but the main focus is on Australia and Harry Kewell. As interesting as he, and the national team is, I do miss the banter you get back in England. Still, mustn’t grumble haha.

Right, I hope I have given you a good insight into my move over here. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

I am yet to sort out a Dentist or Doctors here in Manly – maybe someone out there can recommend one in Manly, and let me know how easy, or hard, it is to register.

All the best

SS
Old Jun 4th 2006, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SuperSeagulls returns

Hi

Welcome to NSW!
Old Jun 4th 2006, 12:18 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you, sounds like you're doing just fine

Have fun, and enjoy the world cup (Pascal is watching the game against the Netherlands tonight, starts at 10.30 here, luckily it's a public holiday tomorrow!)

Good luck with work!

Simone
Old Jun 4th 2006, 12:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: SuperSeagulls returns

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Hi everyone

SuperSeagulls is BACK!!!!!!!!!

I’ve been offline for nearly 4 months as I made my move to Australia via a 3 month trip around South America, and now that I am pretty much settled in Sydney, I thought it time to update you all on the move.

I arrived in Sydney at the start of May, very much looking forward to settling down in my own place with my girlfriend after three excellent, but tiring months, on the road living out of a backpack. I’d been to, and lived in Sydney before, so I knew what to expect when we landed.

Some of you will know that I had wanted to live in the Northern Beaches area, notably Manly, and that is exactly where we headed. We’d pre-booked some temporary accommodation in Manly for week and pretty much hit the ground running so far as looking for somewhere more permanent is concerned. We had a look round a few places and lucked out with the place we have got. In fact we found it on the third day of looking and moved in a few days later. The big rental day here is Saturday and that is when competition is most fierce as people are off work then and all looking at the same time. I didn’t really want to go through that if I didn’t have to. The retail agency took the names of a couple of referees but I don’t think they checked up on us. We paid the bond and the deposit, our face obviously fit, and in we moved, a week to the day after arriving here. Now the beauty of renting here is that there is NO COUNCIL TAX, NO TV LICENCE (there isn’t one in Australia) and NO WATER RATES. The landlord pays them. You just have to pay the utility bills. What a result. Although our rent is slightly more than what we paid in the UK (although we are now in a two-bed unit on the sea front as opposed to a terraced two bedroom house) this is compensated for by the fact you don’t have to pay the extra bills.

Ok, so we moved in to an unfurnished place, and it literally meant, unfurnished. There wasn’t even a fridge. So we spent what has turned out to be the next three weeks going round Sydney and buying all the essentials. This has meant numerous trips to IKEA. But finally we have got the unit sorted and can begin to really enjoy life here. Our shipment arrived in excellent condition from the UK (I used Excess International Movers) although some DVDs were missing – we do not know if it was down to foul play or us putting them in the wrong (charity shop) pile in the madness of moving back in the UK. Nothing was damaged and everything is in working order. I would recommend them to you all.

I haven’t started looking for work yet, although I am beginning to get round to it. My girlfriends found work quite quickly through one of the many agencies here. In NSW, you also have 3 months to get a NSW Driver Licence (which costs). Your UK one is then revoked (they put a hole through it). I still need to do that.

So, so far so good and I am loving it here. The goodbyes were hard back in the UK but it is all worth the tears now. MSN and Skype is a life-saver, although Internet Providers over here are very stingy. Everything is limited, whether it be download speeds or data.

The winter has just kicked in but even on the greyest of days, and there have barely been any in the last month, you can’t help but smile when you walk along that beachfront, or pop into the ocean for a surf, or get a ferry to Circular Quay.

The only thing I am really missing at the moment is the World Cup build up. Luckily free-to-air chanel, SBS, is showing all 64 games, but the main focus is on Australia and Harry Kewell. As interesting as he, and the national team is, I do miss the banter you get back in England. Still, mustn’t grumble haha.

Right, I hope I have given you a good insight into my move over here. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

I am yet to sort out a Dentist or Doctors here in Manly – maybe someone out there can recommend one in Manly, and let me know how easy, or hard, it is to register.

All the best

SS
Nice one, mate; congratulations!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Thanks everyone.

SS
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

All the best

SS

You just phone up and make an appointment, no refusals, no waiting lists, just away you go. I've got 4 different GP's, in different locales around my immediate area that I use. One up the road is a bulk biller, (freebie) Another one is a better class of Bulk biller, but a bit of a distance away, I use him when i can't get into the place where I go when I'm really sick, Which can sometimes only give me appointments at inconvinent times, Thats my Surfing, hippy Helen Mirren lookalike, just going there makes me feel better, but she charges. Oh and her offsider, just in case I need a decent non timeconstrained opinion and Ms Mirren isn't available.

As for dentist, they are evil, you may as well go down to the local audi dealership and whack 3,000 grand on the next latest model car, save them some leg work.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks ozzieeagle.

So dentists are to be avoided???
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:44 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ozzieeagle.

So dentists are to be avoided???
Welcome back SS
Old Jun 15th 2006, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks - it's good to be back

SS
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks - it's good to be back

SS
A belated "Welcome Back SS"

Glad to hear you've settled and are getting sorted (how did we survive without the 'net?) but sorry to hear of the demise of your beloved FC

I envy you having settled in Manly as we visited there in April (served in the coffee shop on the beach by the cutest, friendliest waitresses I have ever seen) and my OH wanted to stay.

Enjoy the WC. The Aussies are sitting pretty at the top of their league as I write this (something our respective teams are not used to) so I'm sure there'll be plenty of coverage. And when that finishes, there's the Ashes to look forward to <SIGH>

Enjoy your new life

Cheers

BD
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:46 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to NSW, SS.

Good time of the year to start in Manly - before the crowds return.

Jim