The sunshine coast

The sunshine coast

Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The sunshine coast

Hi all,

Flights booked and will be moving to Queensland in 2 weeks time

I have a job to go to and accommodation arranged in Mooloolaba for when we get there. Anybody on the forum either lived or worked on the SSC? Any advice on places to go, things to do, suburbs etc will be gratefully received.

Steven
Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The sunshine coast

Hi mate,

We have lived up at the northern end of SSC for last 3 years (before we were 6 years in Sydney). You have done the main thing - getting a job. Employment prospects here are pretty dire unless you are in health care.

If your job is in Mooloolaba then I would say look around their for somewhere to live. Assuming you are looking to rent not soon after your initial accommodation, the rental demand is quite high, so don't imagine that you will just walk in to the first place you like.

Sometimes SSC can be frustrating if you are used to city life. Many restaurants wont welcome you after 7.30PM and its definitely early to bed, early to rise here. But it is a good place to live....providing you have a job!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Roger,

I have a job split between the new hospital and Nambour general (I am a nurse). Starting off in Mooloolaba as I have family there so we will live with them initially. Although I am from London I live in a very quiet village in the shires now so a peaceful existence is what I am after. We have looked on a few real estate sites and like the look of Buderim. Will definitely rent for the first few yrs.

Exactly how dire is the employment as my wife will be looking for work once we get there and ideally wants to avoid the commute to Brisbane.

Cheers again

Steven
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steven9818
Hi Roger,

I have a job split between the new hospital and Nambour general (I am a nurse). Starting off in Mooloolaba as I have family there so we will live with them initially. Although I am from London I live in a very quiet village in the shires now so a peaceful existence is what I am after. We have looked on a few real estate sites and like the look of Buderim. Will definitely rent for the first few yrs.

Exactly how dire is the employment as my wife will be looking for work once we get there and ideally wants to avoid the commute to Brisbane.

Cheers again

Steven
What sort of work is your wife going to be looking for? Have you looked on Seek.com to see what may be available? I'm not on the SC so I'm no real help.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steven9818
Hi Roger,

Cheers again

Steven

My wife does general admin and accounts. When we lived in Sydney, she worked for two major finance blue chips and could walk from one job to another. Here, she spent a year applying for at least 15 jobs a week (admin, retail, you name it) and got three interviews. She got one of the jobs as an admin officer and then told them to stick it after two hours when they told her told clean the toilets.

Of course, there are exceptions, and perhaps my wife is seen as 'too old' by some employers, but if you don't know anyone in the company, it seems very hard to get in.

Now she started here own business and has been very successful.

She should avoid the Brisbane commute/crawl at all costs. I have to do it maybe once every two weeks and it is dire. If I had to do it everyday, I'd rather be back in the UK. Its awful.