Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

suggestion please, we all got mozzy bites, what..

suggestion please, we all got mozzy bites, what..

Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: suggestion please, we all got mozzy bites, what..

Originally Posted by sasbear
Having suffered terribly since arriving the BEST and I mean the BEST solution I have found has been Avon products[LIST][*]Avon skin so soft body spray[*]Avon Skin so soft bug gurd spray[*]Avon skin so soft Bug guard lotion[*]regular intake of Vitamin B! tabs all summer through[*]avoid eating bananas and Avo's

This has cut down my bites to 3 or 4 last summer
When I was a practice nurse in the UK doing travel health consultations, so many patients sweared by the avon stuff you mention to prevent mozzies feasting on them. It is great. Was a case of the patients teaching me something because I used to be plagued by them, so am grateful of a product that has more than one use.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hubby eats a lot of bananas and gets bitten loads. Me and the girls don't eat them and we don't get eaten in return. The idea of rubbing your skin with banana skin makes me heave ever so slightly. Surely the flies would then descend
I drink and smoke and don't suffer from Mozzies at all. Mrs JTL suffers from them terribly and she doesn't drink or smoke.

You don't see that in the government adverts do you

"Smoking may reduce mozzie bites"

"Drinking alcohol may reduce your chances of contracting some nasty mozzie carried disease"

JTL
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:13 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

When we used to holiday in Turkey we found the Lemon cologne they sold kept off the mozzies.................or drinking loads of Raki (the Turks used to rub this on the babies to stop bites...........what a waste!!!!)
But also when we were there we found a device a bit like an 'epi-pen' that diabetics use. After you were bitten you 'clicked' the device over the bite and it delivered a little shock..............result no itch.
We hadn't been able to find similar over here until last week and I noticed they were selling something similar in K-Mart. It is in a green pack (didn't see the name but am going back to find one) sold near the pest stuff and costs about $19.
If it works like the ones we used in Turkey there will be no more itching after being bitten

Loz x
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of

the easiest solution is bicarb of soda mixed to a paste with a little water, let it dry on the skin, leave for around an hr, hey presto itch all gone and you dont need to use lots of chemicals to stop the itch. its a tried and tested method which i got from my great gran and i've used it for many years. try it - it works.:thumbup its good for prickly heat also!!! annkc
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
All of us got mozzy bites, any suggestion what to put on it to stop the itchiness, or stop them to bite us, all the bites on my body turning into nasty blister.

Hi

Dont just take a Vitamin B supplement all that will do is turn your urine bright yellow. Its Vitamin B1 that mossies dont like however you need to be taking it for a couple of months before it gets into your system.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:45 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

All of us got mozzy bites, any suggestion what to put on it to stop the itchiness, or stop them to bite us, all the bites on my body turning into nasty blister.
PawPaw ointment. Red tube in the chemists by the antiseptic creams. Works a treat with the kids (and me!).

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Aspirin - wet the area of the bite and rub a dry aspirin over it, works a treat.
The amonia based after bite stick and the above mentioned electric spark treatment works well.

When in Africa the locals who did the trips told me to put some of the wild growing mint in our hotel room - no more mossies.

Wherever I have been on holiday I have found that the 'Autan' stick rubbed on exposed skin keeps them away - Can you get this in Adelaide?

Johnnyyt
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
Aspirin - wet the area of the bite and rub a dry aspirin over it, works a treat.
The amonia based after bite stick and the above mentioned electric spark treatment works well.

When in Africa the locals who did the trips told me to put some of the wild growing mint in our hotel room - no more mossies.

Wherever I have been on holiday I have found that the 'Autan' stick rubbed on exposed skin keeps them away - Can you get this in Adelaide?

Johnnyyt
I think I can find the wild mint, but I dont know what Autan stick is?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I will try everything you guys suggest I shall tell you the result which works best on me, thank so much for all the suggestion.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:38 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another fan of Stingose (though don't apply liberally or you'll look like Red Indian about to go into battle)
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:12 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that works for me is Tea Tree Oil.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:40 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I drink and smoke and don't suffer from Mozzies at all. Mrs JTL suffers from them terribly and she doesn't drink or smoke.

You don't see that in the government adverts do you

"Smoking may reduce mozzie bites"

"Drinking alcohol may reduce your chances of contracting some nasty mozzie carried disease"

JTL
I am addicted to heroin and my hours are therefore somewhat nocturnal, I don't get bothered by bites either.

Seriously? In my few years I ain't found anything that helps ... just the usual, avoid twilight and still water, that sort of thing.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

In the Carribean you can get a SC Johnson Product called 'Off' that is really good. Don't know if you can get this in Australia - it is the first thing that I buy when we go to the Carribean / States.

http://www.offprotects.com/mosquito-repellent/

Lau x
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reedy
In the Carribean you can get a SC Johnson Product called 'Off' that is really good. Don't know if you can get this in Australia - it is the first thing that I buy when we go to the Carribean / States.

http://www.offprotects.com/mosquito-repellent/

Lau x
Just checked and the active ingredient DEET is an approved pesticide in Australia and therefore you can buy products. They are very effective found this information on a Victorian Government Health site:

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/d...s/avoid_bitten

Hope this helps,

Lau xx
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

STINGOSE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.