Gemma Savin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Successful Job Hunting for Migrants"

My partner and I have just come back from Australia after spending 3
weeks on holiday there and are considering moving there because we loved
it so much. A friend of mine over there had a wicked book called 'Land
that Job in Australia - Successful Job hunting for Migrants' by Jim
Bright (I think he also wrote Brilliant CV's?) which gives a very
insightful view on Australian employment and how to adapt yourself to
the job market there. It's published by a company called Tribus Lingua.
I know people who have gained employment through this book, it's a great practical and down to earth guide.

Good Luck!!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Tauranga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Successful Job Hunting for Migrants"

Hello,

This is my first post but i would like to add something from my own exp at job hunting.

The first and main thing that you must must do is show them your passport with the visa in it, 9 times out of 10 people will glaze over when they hear the english tounge adn think "Back packer or holidaymaker"

trust me it can save alot of time and pain!

Thanks
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:17 am

df79 will become famous soon enoughdf79 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gemma Savin
I know people who have gained employment through this book, it's a great practical and down to earth guide.
Good Luck!!
Hi There

Is this book only applicable to people who are:

1. In Australia and with sufficient documents

2. Have skills in demand

Does this book help people with skills that aren't in high demand - but wish to work in Australia - i.e does it give them advice in this instance

Cherrs

David

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 19th 2006 at 2:31 pm. Reason: resizing original quote
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Sounds like an interesting book - but knowing me I'll only turn to things like that if just diving in and having a go doesn't work!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Good Luck!!
Does it come with a tin of spam?!?!??
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
Does it come with a tin of spam?!?!??
I was wondering much the same thing myself!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
I was wondering much the same thing myself!
Yep, the OP has posted 1 thing (this post)
Spam, eggs and chips please
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:43 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tauranga
The first and main thing that you must must do is show them your passport with the visa in it, 9 times out of 10 people will glaze over when they hear the english tounge adn think "Back packer or holidaymaker"
When I went for the interview for the job I have now, I took my passport and had already made a photocopy for my boss - he wasn't interested. He hasn't seen my passport to this day
Old Jul 10th 2006, 2:16 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

dont know what all that above is about

but there was some great info for migrants from http://www.alloexpat.com/australia_expat_forum/ related to it:

Challenges for migrants coming to Australia can be broken down as follows:
- Over 82% of job vacancies are not advertised, and are therefore not accessible to migrants who have not yet built up social and professional networks.

- Many migrants are refused employment because of a lack of local experience and referees. People with senior level international experience from Western countries are very surprised by this but need to be aware of this reality. Australian repatriates face the same problems.

- Skilled migrants who have internationally recognised qualifications are sometimes rejected by Australian professional and trade bodies.

- The Australian labour market is highly competitive with over 25 % of jobs casualised

Overcoming these challenges requires:

- Networking – This is a more important part of job hunting than in most other cultures. The best place to start is within your own community initially. Join your professional body associations and attend other networking functions from the outset.

- Understanding the Australian economy – 72% of businesses are SME’s (small or medium sized enterprises)

- Know where to look for jobs outside the mainstream

- Directly market yourself to companies with international operations

- Gain local experience through networking and volunteering (A large proportion of Australians volunteer – Australians often volunteer to improve their own career chances)

- Writing Australian style résumés and cover letters – there is an expected standard required of at least 3 to 4 pages. Australian employers want a clear and detailed history of your professional experience.

- Addressing selection criteria – most government and public organisations expect you to do this to a very high standard

- Interview techniques and approaches Australian style, this means balancing the ability to self promote by neither overselling (which Australians do not like!! Tall Poppy Syndrome) or underselling

- Employment conditions, law and documentation

- Understanding Australian culture – know your “footie” and your cricket – it helps you network as well as being able to make small talk to ingratiate yourself with the natives! Joining sports clubs is a great way to network also.

- Finding a mentor – helps you stay positive and motivated and this person can guide you through the processes and systems in Australia. Its often better to have a local referee as they have more weight with employers.

- Managing your expectations – it takes longer than you might think so be as prepared as possible.

All of the above topics are covered in detail in the book ‘Land that Job in Australia: Successful Job-hunting for Migrants’ which is available in ebook format as well as paperback. It is also available with a companion ebook guide ‘The Migrants Guide to the Web’ which lists the most useful Australian related job-hunting and industry research resources available on the Internet.

http://www.tlpublishing.com.au/publications.asp
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:52 pm

JanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud ofJanniDK has much to be proud of

Hi,

Do you know where you can buy this book
The link someone posted did not work?

TIA,

Janni

Good Luck!!