The stupidity of drivers

The stupidity of drivers

Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The stupidity of drivers

Originally Posted by Wol
*I* can generalise: Australians
And it seems to be getting worse, with more migrants arriving

It was never as bad as this back in the 80's.

Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scaria197
Interesting read....so any one knows how are driving standards compared to the USA? Anyone drove in the US and Oz both?
I have: I held a US licence for 12 years until we left there.

No country has a monopoly on poor driving attitudes, but Australia has a head start.

It's a truism that driving safety is mainly in the attitude of those on the roads, and unfortunately the Australian attitude seems to be that providing you can keep roughly within the confines of your side of the road you are a competent driver. Subtleties such as keeping space in front, dipping headlights, thinking ahead and road positioning when turning right are not even under consideration.

By contrast, American driving I found, by and large, infinitely more competent.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
By contrast, American driving I found, by and large, infinitely more competent.
I've watched a lot of US TV shows, and I must disagree with you on that....

Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:56 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've watched a lot of US TV shows, and I must disagree with you on that....
Your call
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I think so much of it just comes down to the tuition. Nearly all drivers were taught by their parents in this country it seems. There is just no discipline whatsoever in Australian (especially QLD) drivers. They are lazy (no indicators before they manoeuvre), impatient (deliberately running red lights, driving down hard shoulders in traffic, deliberately driving down one way streets because it is "quicker"), belligerent (turning right to cross single continuous white lines on road and subsequently holding up traffic behind them), ignorant (sitting in outside lanes when not overtaking anyone or there is no one to be seen ahead or driving with no lights on in the dark).

I've said it once and I'll say it again, you would think you were in some third world country where driver's licenses were handed out in exchange for a police bribe.
So basically it's just like in the UK ?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:08 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I think so much of it just comes down to the tuition. Nearly all drivers were taught by their parents in this country it seems. There is just no discipline whatsoever in Australian (especially QLD) drivers. They are lazy (no indicators before they manoeuvre), impatient (deliberately running red lights, driving down hard shoulders in traffic, deliberately driving down one way streets because it is "quicker"), belligerent (turning right to cross single continuous white lines on road and subsequently holding up traffic behind them), ignorant (sitting in outside lanes when not overtaking anyone or there is no one to be seen ahead or driving with no lights on in the dark).

I've said it once and I'll say it again, you would think you were in some third world country where driver's licenses were handed out in exchange for a police bribe.
Actually I've heard that in a certain country you can buy a driving license without actually having passed a driving test and then use said license to get one here! Kind of explains some of the drivers eh !
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meelie
Actually I've heard that in a certain country you can buy a driving license without actually having passed a driving test and then use said license to get one here! Kind of explains some of the drivers eh !
Don't believe everything you hear. That theory doesn't hold water. For Victoria the only jurisdictions that can do a straight licence swap are:

Austria
Finland
Isle of Man (after a certain date)
Netherlands
Sweden
Belgium
France
Italy
Norway
Switzerland
Canada
Germany
Japan
Portugal
UK
Croatia
Greece
Luxembourg
Singapore
USA
Denmark
Ireland
Malta (after a certain date)
Spain
Guernsey
Jersey

I think you'll find that you can't just buy a licence in any of those jurisdictions.

On the other hand, from experience, I can say the driving in my part of Victoria is better than that found in Belgium, France, Italy, Portugal, Greece, and Spain.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:50 pm
ABCDiamond

The problem is that ALL visitors can drive on their own licence for as long as they are here.

When we look at those numbers:
4,700,000 short term visitors per year
315,000 long term visitors (457 visas etc) per year

There could be a lot of drivers who may not know how to drive the local way.

Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:58 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The problem is that ALL visitors can drive on their own licence for as long as they are here.

When we look at those numbers:
4,700,000 short term visitors per year
315,000 long term visitors (457 visas etc) per year

There could be a lot of drivers who may not know how to drive the local way.
indeed.

And how many of the expats on here doing the complaining actually read and learned the australian highway code or had aussie driving lessons ?

I dunno where you guys all live but I think its pretty cool , a lot less aggro driving around, you can actually use those inside 3rd lanes at traffic lights or traffic jams without a hairy ass HGV driver deciding he knows better than the road designers and blocking it, you can merge without hassle. People queue quite nicely, dont usually block intersections. Roundabouts seem to work as designed.

Plenty of people speed, and plenty of people get caught for it. Ive been breathalised more here in 5 yrs than in 15yrs driving in UK ( through roadside bus tests not because I drive swervy )

(edit : Perhaps Im the driver you are all complaining about )

Last edited by spalen; Aug 1st 2010 at 11:00 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spalen
indeed.

And how many of the expats on here doing the complaining actually read and learned the australian highway code or had aussie driving lessons ?

I dunno where you guys all live but I think its pretty cool , a lot less aggro driving around, you can actually use those inside 3rd lanes at traffic lights or traffic jams without a hairy ass HGV driver deciding he knows better than the road designers and blocking it, you can merge without hassle. People queue quite nicely, dont usually block intersections. Roundabouts seem to work as designed.

Plenty of people speed, and plenty of people get caught for it. Ive been breathalised more here in 5 yrs than in 15yrs driving in UK ( through roadside bus tests not because I drive swervy )

(edit : Perhaps Im the driver you are all complaining about )
I'm with you on this. Comparing where I live now to where I used to live I find some things worse (tailgating) but some things better (roundabout and lane discipline).

In part, I think some people have a problem adapting to the driving style (both written and unwritten rules) therefore (to them) it's the locals who are wrong instead of them.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:11 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coryate
Basically, no ... it's worse here ... it really is.

I've driven all around the UK in all kinds of conditions for business and pleasure and the standards around Brisbane are shocking.

It is, and will continue to be, my main issue with living here.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:55 am
ABCDiamond

It appears that it varies depending where you were in the UK, and where you are in Australia.

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:31 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meelie
I know you can do that on the Cook Islands
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:35 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually driven for a considerable amount of time in Australia before?

Even the most "I LOVE AUSTRALIA IT IS THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH" basher will tell you they are some of the worst drivers in the world.
In fact it is probably the most concensus you will get on comparitive debates brought up on this forum.
I'm not saying the Brits are angels on the roads but they are much more disciplined than Aussies.

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Aug 2nd 2010 at 7:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.