Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The stupidity of drivers

The stupidity of drivers

Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:14 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The stupidity of drivers

Originally Posted by wilf70
I read all of these posts with interest and sympathy---does anyone have figures for comparison for accident/deaths between Australia and the UK.A friend on a visit here said he was amazed at how polite and careful drivers were--I think he is exaggerating.Any figures???
Some parts of the UK have higher figures than some parts of Australia, so depending on which parts of each country are being compared may give very different results or opinions.

The UK in 2006 was 50% worse than the ACT, and about the same as Victoria.
but... the Northern Territory was 4 times as bad as the UK.

Queensland was 8% worse than the UK.

These would be interesting:
  • London compared to my area ?
  • or Sydney compared to say the New Forest area ?
http://www.britzinoz.com/uk-australi...parison-uk-aus

Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:35 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some parts of the UK have higher figures than some parts of Australia, so depending on which parts of each country are being compared may give very different results or opinions.

The UK in 2006 was 50% worse than the ACT, and about the same as Victoria.
but... the Northern Territory was 4 times as bad as the UK.

Queensland was 8% worse than the UK.

These would be interesting:
  • London compared to my area ?
  • or Sydney compared to say the New Forest area ?
http://www.britzinoz.com/uk-australi...parison-uk-aus
but i wonder how many vehicles are on the road comparing the two ?!

Surely London has about the same daily average as the whole of Australia ...
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
but i wonder how many vehicles are on the road comparing the two ?!

Surely London has about the same daily average as the whole of Australia ...
Number of Vehicles per each 1,000 of population
685 Australia
561 Great Britain

Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:49 am
ABCDiamond

That brings up an interesting point.

Australia has 27% more Deaths per population
Australia has 22% more Cars per population
But if we could remove the NT from the equaition, it would be interesting.

I recall a discussion on this topic where we compared deaths per km travelled, but no one liked that format as it gave a different result

Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Number of Vehicles per each 1,000 of population
685 Australia
561 Great Britain
Yeah but you HAVE to have a car here so per 1,000 I woulda thought the Aussies woulda been heaps more than GB not just 100 or so.

Take population of both and there's heaps more cars on the road in the UK at any one time tho compared.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Worst case of tail gating I ever see...

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...0/DSC00812.jpg
haha - that's one of those cars that gets pulled behind the big RV type things though isn't it? Seen a few of these and thought wtf, and then when you pull alongside there is a bit of chain about a metre long between the 2?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sammyg
haha - that's one of those cars that gets pulled behind the big RV type things though isn't it? Seen a few of these and thought wtf, and then when you pull alongside there is a bit of chain about a metre long between the 2?
That's the one ...
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:22 am
ABCDiamond

Comparing the two extreme figures of ACT and NT of :
  • 4.1 Australian Capital Territory
  • 27.0 Northern Territory
against a couple of the the UK 'near' extremes:
  • 2.31 West Midlands
  • 12.37 Northumbria
This does indicate how peoples opinions may vary.

Moving from Northumbria to Canberra would be a very different view to someone moving from West Midlands to the Northern Territory

One thing that those comparisons do show, is that the higher death rates seem to be in more open areas in both counties. Cleveland, Northumbria and Cambridgeshire, being the highest in the UK. And London, Birmingham and Manchester being the lowest.

Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Left foot braking....

Keeping your right foot on the accerator pedal move your left foot and just touch the brake so your brake lights come on but you don't slow down....see how quickly they back off.
Just did just that this morning, at 7am.

Was on the way to the Sunday market, a red-plater, young lady, munching her breakfast and most of the time one hand on the steering wheel, tailgated me for nearly 10 minutes. At the start, I just stayed at speed limit, (40, then 80, then 70) slowed right down when she got too close. She wouldn't take the hint. Then when I got to New Cleveland Road in Gumdale, where there were no other cars but our two, I put my left foot on the brake gentle. She got quite a shock as I pulled away.

There is no way to generalize who is more likely to tailgate. I've seen old ladies/men in a car as old as the driver, mothers with toddlers in the back of their 4WD, ute drivers, motorcyclists, truck drivers (on the Gateway usually), etc, doing the same stupid thing. Some people just seem to value time more than their own lives or lives of their family and others.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if there's someone else taking a photo of the person using a camera while driving?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I wonder if there's someone else taking a photo of the person using a camera while driving?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

JTL: >>There is no way to generalize who is more likely to tailgate. I've seen old ladies/men in a car as old as the driver, mothers with toddlers in the back of their 4WD, ute drivers, motorcyclists, truck drivers (on the Gateway usually), etc, doing the same stupid thing. Some people just seem to value time more than their own lives or lives of their family and others. <<

*I* can generalise: Australians
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

Interesting read....so any one knows how are driving standards compared to the USA? Anyone drove in the US and Oz both?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:35 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta beat the one's who drive in the dark WITHOUT lights. Ok, this is often JUST as it's getting dark, but still!

Have given up flashing cars as you check RVM till you can't see em, and prob less than 10% will actually switch em on ...
Actually I've seen a number of cars with no lights on in the dark! One truck had no lights at the back and he was driving on Ipswich motorway!
As for the police, my colleague had her car written off a couple of weeks ago because this young lad went through a red light cos he was trying to find his water bottle and smashed straight into her drivers side! The police attending the scene didn't take a report and when my colleague contacted the police station to ask about making a report they told her that if she did make one then the lad would be prosecuted! Amazingly she didn't want to prosecute so no report was made!!!! Unbelievable!
We've reported a dangerous driver too who scraped my husbands car and the police weren't interested in that either! So it makes you wonder how many accidents actually do occur here but are not reported!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:37 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
JTL: >>There is no way to generalize who is more likely to tailgate. I've seen old ladies/men in a car as old as the driver, mothers with toddlers in the back of their 4WD, ute drivers, motorcyclists, truck drivers (on the Gateway usually), etc, doing the same stupid thing. Some people just seem to value time more than their own lives or lives of their family and others. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/frown.gif<<

*I* can generalise: Australians
One of the problems here I think is because they don't like letting people in and if you do leave a space some a##ole cuts in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.