Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is is a stupid move to leave job in home country and arrive in Oz?

Old Oct 10th 2013, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

erfanonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is is a stupid move to leave job in home country and arrive in Oz?

(Pardon me for the long post)

Hi all,
Please allow me to give the background of the question. Me and my wife already got the visa(475), already made a short holiday trip to Australia for validation. Now, planning to move permanently few months later (need some time to leave job, settle things in home country)

My brother is a citizen of Australia and we shall be living at his home in a suburb near Melbourne. So, one thing is sure, I won't have to worry about living place, furniture or food immediately after arriving.

My brother is asking me every other day to come to Australia as soon as possible, he says the sooner I come, the sooner I can settle in as things are not so easy there, specially for a migrant.

My plan is to look for job -- at first any kind of job (including dish washing, cleaning....). I do not expect to get a new job of my original profession (My nominated profession for skilled migration was Software Engineer) without struggling (as I do not have Australian education) and I am mentally prepared for it.

Everything was fine. But, few days earlier, I met a friend of mine (who is also a citizen of Australia), who returned to home country to look after some family business. I was discussing my plan with him. He completely disagreed to my plan and said it wont work at all. So, I am very much confused now.

What he said is, I should start looking for job offshore. Because if I go onshore leaving my current job (in South Asia), then employers will treat me as an unemployed person. And, in job application in Australia, an employed candidate will always have preference over an unemployed person! But, as far as I have researched, very few IT companies in Oz hires via phone/Skype interview. They always prefer onshore candidates.

So, can the experienced people out there give me some suggestion? Is my friend correct and am I taking too stupid a move?
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is is a stupid move to leave job in home country and arrive in Oz?

Originally Posted by erfanonline

Hi all,
Please allow me to give the background of the question. Me and my wife already got the visa(475), already made a short holiday trip to Australia for validation. Now, planning to move permanently few months later (need some time to leave job, settle things in home country)

My brother is a citizen of Australia and we shall be living at his home in a suburb near Melbourne. So, one thing is sure, I won't have to worry about living place, furniture or food immediately after arriving.

My brother is asking me every other day to come to Australia as soon as possible, he says the sooner I come, the sooner I can settle in as things are not so easy there, specially for a migrant.

My plan is to look for job -- at first any kind of job (including dish washing, cleaning....). I do not expect to get a new job of my original profession (My nominated profession for skilled migration was Software Engineer) without struggling (as I do not have Australian education) and I am mentally prepared for it.

Everything was fine. But, few days earlier, I met a friend of mine (who is also a citizen of Australia), who returned to home country to look after some family business. I was discussing my plan with him. He completely disagreed to my plan and said it wont work at all. So, I am very much confused now.

What he said is, I should start looking for job offshore. Because if I go onshore leaving my current job (in South Asia), then employers will treat me as an unemployed person. And, in job application in Australia, an employed candidate will always have preference over an unemployed person! But, as far as I have researched, very few IT companies in Oz hires via phone/Skype interview. They always prefer onshore candidates.

So, can the experienced people out there give me some suggestion? Is my friend correct and am I taking too stupid a move?
There are a lot of platitudes around "It is always better to be in a job than not when looking" "Wear a tie it makes you look professional" "Brush your teeth" etc. Whilst they have a grain of truth, they don't take into account individual situations, luck, ability, time, etc.

You need to make a plan for yourself. Think about what you are prepared to put up with, and what the overall goal is, and how you are intending to reach it. Make a list of pros and cons, and then make a decision from there. If you have enough money to stick out a short period of unemployment and you are happy to move over soon, then do it. If not, then wait and save a bit more. As long as you aren't unemployed for years I don't see that it would do you any harm to move over without a job, as long as you have the financial means and are happy in yourself to do so. Have confidence in yourself!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
There are a lot of platitudes around "It is always better to be in a job than not when looking" "Wear a tie it makes you look professional" "Brush your teeth" etc. Whilst they have a grain of truth, they don't take into account individual situations, luck, ability, time, etc.

You need to make a plan for yourself. Think about what you are prepared to put up with, and what the overall goal is, and how you are intending to reach it. Make a list of pros and cons, and then make a decision from there. If you have enough money to stick out a short period of unemployment and you are happy to move over soon, then do it. If not, then wait and save a bit more. As long as you aren't unemployed for years I don't see that it would do you any harm to move over without a job, as long as you have the financial means and are happy in yourself to do so. Have confidence in yourself!
Great advice, nothing I can add to that!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We came over on my husband's I.T. skills and he was after a job at Project Management level. We stayed with my sister, so didn't have the immediate worry of accommodation. But he ended up being unemployed for 7 months and just applied for anything going in the end. He got his first job because he just happened to have this one particular skill that none of the other applicants had, from a field that he had only worked in once some years previously, but it was enough to give him the edge over the others. He had to go back to working as a Software Engineer, so not ideal, but it was just that first foot in the door he needed. He's worked his way up ever since.

So not, it's not a stupid move at all. But make sure you have a big pot of savings to bring with you!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Will your employer let you take a career break so that you have the security of being able yo return if it doesn't work out? You may well find it hard to pick up a job out of the metropolitan areas in IT and you are going to be regionally constrained for some years.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

As you are a software engineer in a big growth region you may find it harder and harder to find work in the Australia. There is becoming less of a need to have it done locally by highly paid locals when you can have it done by a large talent pool of cheap labour in Asia.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:01 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
As you are a software engineer in a big growth region you may find it harder and harder to find work in the Australia. There is becoming less of a need to have it done locally by highly paid locals when you can have it done by a large talent pool of cheap labour in Asia.
As more businesses are discovering, the labour market in Asia might be cheap but they're not always that talented. Plenty of organisations starting to insource after disasterous experiences with going offshore.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
As more businesses are discovering, the labour market in Asia might be cheap but they're not always that talented. Plenty of organisations starting to insource after disasterous experiences with going offshore.
I don't disagree that often, the quality is poor. It's not just the technical skills but also the ability to think for themselves. On top of that they will leave and go elsewhere for a dollar more a day.

While many companies have initial bad experiences, those who battle through with training and good pay do prevail.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:22 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't disagree that often, the quality is poor. It's not just the technical skills but also the ability to think for themselves. On top of that they will leave and go elsewhere for a dollar more a day.
Agree 100%.

While many companies have initial bad experiences, those who battle through with training and good pay do prevail.
This may depend on how they operating the offshore resources - is it wholly owned or part of an out-sourcing shop etc. And often the original scope of what the foreign resources are supposed to do are reduced or adjusted.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

If there are plenty of positions available in your field of expertise just arrive you'll be fine.

If there isn't plenty of work in your field of expertise just arrive and have problems.

-- easy.

Solution --Find out if there is plenty of work in your field of expertise before you jump.

The key is plenty of available jobs.

Example--If you were a Chef with a good track record you couldn't be out of work unless you wanted to be.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

New migrants usually are unemployed once they get here, so there will be nothing odd about that. It has an advantage, that you are immediately available too. It will be very difficult to try to secure a role from overseas, employers would be more put off by your location than your employment status in Australia.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

CVarney is an unknown quantity at this point

Both my husband and i are Software Developers and had no issue getting job interviews when we went over this year to validate our visa.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 9:30 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is probably not relevant as I arrived here 30 years ago. I came in on a PR visa issued because my skills (mechanical engineer) were in demand; though actually that was incorrect as Australia was going through a recession at the time. Like you we had guaranteed accommodation with friends when we landed, so that was one less headache.
In our first 6 months here I only managed to pick up 6 weeks work as, of all things, a temporary Tech Studies teacher! Then a couple of months later I got another temporary job with the commonwealth Dept of Transport before finally getting an entry level position in the industry (oil & gas pipelines) that I have spent the last 30 years in.
So yes, it is doable although a lot more difficult now than it was 30 years ago - for one thing I was able to collect unemployment benefit after the first couple of months which I don't think is possible nowadays. You will need to make sure that you can support yourselves for at least 6 months whilst you sort yourselves out.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:30 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

If you are asking that question then yes, it is stupid to move. If it just doesn't feel right. I would stay where you are.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:49 pm
Banned

ainitcskarachi is an unknown quantity at this point

If you reside in Pakistan then you should definitely immigrate as situation due to pathetic leadership is not good for maintaining a family there. Otherwise if you are in India you should definitely stay there as it has a booming economy and it will one day overtake Australia in terms of economy and quality of life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.