Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sticking it out till your kids finish school...

Sticking it out till your kids finish school...

Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sticking it out till your kids finish school...

For some reason , i cannot reply on Be at times, my puter shuts down, will try my reply again

This may or may not help

Anyway friend of mine, waited until son finished year 12, as didnt want to disrupt his education again. Year 12 finished , good result, uni in scotland happy to take him on his vce result (y'know the victorian one), they were happy, expected hassle over that.

Off they go. Son said goodbye to girlfriend On return , found out he couldnt go to uni (three year rule thing, y'know the one where you have to be resident in the country for 3 years as a citizen if you have been away for more than two.). A couple of months later hes pissed off, went back to oz (hes 18 parents couldnt stop him) and to the girlfriend. Then he found out he couldnt go uni there, as he wasnt a citizen , his reasoning was he could become a citizen quicker than 3 years, which eventually happened and hes at uni now, girlfriend a thing of the past. so all is well...........well nearly.

Six months down the line my friends still in scotland, no work,, family putting pressure on them, y'know the story, why did you come back? , no work? its rubbish here, everything in oz is great

They came back to oz, much poorer. She said the minute she got off the plane in oz , she realised she had made the biggest mistake of her life!! Sort of no going back again now, due to finances and personal circumstance.

I'm really trying to say here, look into the ifs, buts and maybes of the education systems , and hopefully no one will fall victim of above circumstances.

p.s am one very trapped mum!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
For some reason , i cannot reply on Be at times, my puter shuts down, will try my reply again

This may or may not help

Anyway friend of mine, waited until son finished year 12, as didnt want to disrupt his education again. Year 12 finished , good result, uni in scotland happy to take him on his vce result (y'know the victorian one), they were happy, expected hassle over that.

Off they go. Son said goodbye to girlfriend On return , found out he couldnt go to uni (three year rule thing, y'know the one where you have to be resident in the country for 3 years as a citizen if you have been away for more than two.). A couple of months later hes pissed off, went back to oz (hes 18 parents couldnt stop him) and to the girlfriend. Then he found out he couldnt go uni there, as he wasnt a citizen , his reasoning was he could become a citizen quicker than 3 years, which eventually happened and hes at uni now, girlfriend a thing of the past. so all is well...........well nearly.

Six months down the line my friends still in scotland, no work,, family putting pressure on them, y'know the story, why did you come back? , no work? its rubbish here, everything in oz is great

They came back to oz, much poorer. She said the minute she got off the plane in oz , she realised she had made the biggest mistake of her life!! Sort of no going back again now, due to finances and personal circumstance.

I'm really trying to say here, look into the ifs, buts and maybes of the education systems , and hopefully no one will fall victim of above circumstances.

I was going to mention that 3 year rule as it probably will apply to my Youngest daughter... unless she gets some kind of scholarship.... Who aspires to go to Cambridge on her own volition.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I was going to mention that 3 year rule as it probably will apply to my Youngest daughter... unless she gets some kind of scholarship.... Who aspires to go to Cambridge on her own volition.
When they discovered this, they thought the uni would be sympathetic, he wrote a letter saying he was dragged to oz kicking and screaming and was delighted to be 'home' etc, would be a good citizen.......but to no avail!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:32 am
Account Closed

my goodness , what a clever cookie, does it come from her mum
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
Yes, London will be horrid! But to sit in your house and watch in 'real time' and it's light outside...just imagine. Also, from what I remember, the last olympics I was here for (2004), they only showed the things that Aussies were competing in (not saying any other country would be different).
or you can just be at work during the same time as the events and see the repeats on TV in the evening? ....and of course enjoy the thrill of TfL struggling to cope with the increased passenger volume!!!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

my goodness , what a clever cookie, does it come from her mum
Hopefully
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Blimey that's early. Tiddler doesn't finish this term until the end of next week, no block exams this term, just a couple during school hours and the assignment stuff, no time off.
They get an enormous amount of time off

In December the 10 11 and 12 kids finish 2 weeks early, somewhere around 20 something November .

But even the last 2 weeks of that is exam block so from early mid November they only go in for exams, once exams are done, they don't go in at all.

He finishes school at lunchtime (12.50 ) each day too.

All very relaxed

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 21st 2012 at 10:12 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

This may or may not help

We found once we stayed on it snowballed.

Kids would get girlfriends, mates, commitments, then couldn't leave......Mind you the one who loved aus and swore he wouldnt leave, did leave and is now back to UK again end of year - for good.

For youngest we too would have to pay international fees for UK uni. But he is thinking north america, either way we are looking at little change from 100K (AUD).

Hope the child genius appreciates my sacrifices for him, but as he says, you started this emigration mess, true I guess.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Start saving!

We are considering a move back to the UK at the end of this year when our middle child finishes Year 12. We have accepted that the 3 year rule will mean that we have to pay international fees. On some courses the difference between international and domestic fees is less than it used to be (about £5-6k pa) because of the increase in domestic fees to £9k pa. However, what we didn't expect was that some of the top English unis will not accept Australian qualifications, just the IB or international A-levels!

We are working on it - so far I have found a couple that will consider candidates with ATAR scores of 99 and above, but the rest will be down to the interview! So no pressure there then.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Famous 5
Start saving!

However, what we didn't expect was that some of the top English unis will not accept Australian qualifications, just the IB or international A-levels!

We are working on it - so far I have found a couple that will consider candidates with ATAR scores of 99 and above, but the rest will be down to the interview! So no pressure there then.
Yep! we found that out too, and when I said it on BE I was shot down.

My son is only 15 (grade 11 qld) but knows darn well he has to work his ass off 100% if he wants to go to UNI overseas.

But I do remind him most days Poor kid he is so young, you forget too, he is 6 foot 3 now.

Stress dont you love having teens

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 21st 2012 at 10:36 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Famous 5
However, what we didn't expect was that some of the top English unis will not accept Australian qualifications, just the IB or international A-levels!

Oh god, I didn't know that - my husband assured me that the HSC would be accepted back home for uni!! May have to change schools then, there are one or two in Sydney that have the IB.

Do you happen to know if the 3 year rule applies if I am living there for 3 years but child is over here at school?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
Oh god, I didn't know that - my husband assured me that the HSC would be accepted back home for uni!! May have to change schools then, there are one or two in Sydney that have the IB.

Do you happen to know if the 3 year rule applies if I am living there for 3 years but child is over here at school?
Unless you're going to go to Uni for the child the ruling applies. Oh and it depends on Uni and Course as to whether the child would get in, certainly not an across the board ruling regarding the qualifications.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:56 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Any one else doing the same, need some moral support

Final kid in year 11. So end of 2013.

But suddenly having enormous wobble and even entertained thought of leaving alone for ( for all of 5 minutes ) yesterday.

Winter is coming on so the worse part of year ( summer ) is going, winter is actually quite pleasant, but still feel horribly trapped.

Really been putting up and shutting up, just getting on with it, nodding yeah lovely But that just seems to have made it worse. Makes you feel like a bear in a cage.

Thought a trip away at Easter would be something to look forward to, but it only highlighted how damn expensive it is to do anything here and how we've done most of it anyway.

Tried Wine, monster munch, american brownies, even the daily mail, and still feel seriously sick of it __________________
Looking for the Door
If you hate Australia that much, why did you come here in the first place? How long have you been here?

Sorry, but you don't get any sympathy from this quarter. Either you came out here for a short stint with the plan of returning to the UK after a few years, or you came to make a new life in a new country - if the former than your plans were obviously not made well enough, if the latter then you haven't tried hard enough to make a go of it. You think you've 'done most of it'? - I've been here just under 30 years and I haven't done half of it!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't give a shit how much university costs. If my son decides to go, it's up to him to pay for it - my contribution ends at year 12.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJCherokee

If you hate Australia that much, why did you come here in the first place? How long have you been here?

Sorry, but you don't get any sympathy from this quarter. Either you came out here for a short stint with the plan of returning to the UK after a few years, or you came to make a new life in a new country - if the former than your plans were obviously not made well enough, if the latter then you haven't tried hard enough to make a go of it. You think you've 'done most of it'? - I've been here just under 30 years and I haven't done half of it!
My partner is australian, its his home.

If you dont understand the challenges of mixed race marriages. Or the challenges of being a parent who puts continuity of their kids education before their own travel whims - Butt out.

Its turned into a great thread and Karma showing there are a lot of people in exactly the same position as myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.