Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sticking it out till your kids finish school...

Sticking it out till your kids finish school...

Old Mar 19th 2012, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sticking it out till your kids finish school...

Any one else doing the same, need some moral support

Final kid in year 11. So end of 2013.

But suddenly having enormous wobble and even entertained thought of leaving alone for ( for all of 5 minutes ) yesterday.

Winter is coming on so the worse part of year ( summer ) is going, winter is actually quite pleasant, but still feel horribly trapped.

Really been putting up and shutting up, just getting on with it, nodding yeah lovely But that just seems to have made it worse. Makes you feel like a bear in a cage.

Thought a trip away at Easter would be something to look forward to, but it only highlighted how damn expensive it is to do anything here and how we've done most of it anyway.

Tried Wine, monster munch, american brownies, even the daily mail, and still feel seriously sick of it
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sticking it out till your kids finish school...

I feel your pain. 15 year old in year 10 so if no move by August then no chance of her getting into the GSCE system. Not much chance of a new job before then so will be stuck here until end 2014. Also have had moments of 'leaving them all to it' and going home alone (perhaps for longer than 5 minutes though :-)).
Too expensive to go back in June for 3 weeks - flights for 3 of us $7000!!!
So jealous of spring coming, Olympics, long summer nights, diamond jubilee celebrations...
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Any one else doing the same, need some moral support

Final kid in year 11. So end of 2013.

But suddenly having enormous wobble and even entertained thought of leaving alone for ( for all of 5 minutes ) yesterday.

Winter is coming on so the worse part of year ( summer ) is going, winter is actually quite pleasant, but still feel horribly trapped.

Really been putting up and shutting up, just getting on with it, nodding yeah lovely But that just seems to have made it worse. Makes you feel like a bear in a cage.

Thought a trip away at Easter would be something to look forward to, but it only highlighted how damn expensive it is to do anything here and how we've done most of it anyway.

Tried Wine, monster munch, american brownies, even the daily mail, and still feel seriously sick of it
Daily Mail....that was dicing with death...surely!!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
So jealous of spring coming, Olympics, long summer nights, diamond jubilee celebrations...
Everything else is great, but the Olympics??? That will be horrible in London
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how you feel.... we have been on this road now for over 29 years and the youngest has just started year 8. It really does feel at times like your trapped.

It's little wonder that I/we cannot wait for him to fly the nest and sell absolutely everything and I mean the house as well and travel. All I want is a very cheap reliable car a mega bank account and Aussie and UK passports.

Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sr71
Everything else is great, but the Olympics??? That will be horrible in London
Yes, London will be horrid! But to sit in your house and watch in 'real time' and it's light outside...just imagine. Also, from what I remember, the last olympics I was here for (2004), they only showed the things that Aussies were competing in (not saying any other country would be different).
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
I feel your pain. 15 year old in year 10 so if no move by August then no chance of her getting into the GSCE system. Not much chance of a new job before then so will be stuck here until end 2014. Also have had moments of 'leaving them all to it' and going home alone (perhaps for longer than 5 minutes though :-)).
Too expensive to go back in June for 3 weeks - flights for 3 of us $7000!!!

While on phone hold... Found myself making a little calendar of how many days till he graduates.

I probably could leave, you know being teenagers they probably wouldn't notice till the underwear/ used clothing pile had buried them
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

While on phone hold... Found myself making a little calendar of how many days till he graduates.

I probably could leave, you know being teenagers they probably wouldn't notice till the underwear/ used clothing pile had buried them
Judging by how fast Tiddler's Grade 11 and the first term of 12, that will fly faster than a fast thing. Work out how many actual days at school he has left, even more scary
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I know exactly how you feel.... we have been on this road now for over 29 years and the youngest has just started year 8. It really does feel at times like your trapped.

It's little wonder that I/we cannot wait for him to fly the nest and sell absolutely everything and I mean the house as well and travel. All I want is a very cheap reliable car a mega bank account and Aussie and UK passports.

Its nice to dream about the years post kids isn't it.

I think I had empty nest thoughts for a while, then I decided it would be like being a teenager again. Selfish, carefree, doing what I want when I want might as well enjoy it.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You could take the risk and move over so that your youngest began A levels in September! You might hope that year 11 would have prepared them for an A level curriculum - then, of course, you would have to put up with them in school for another two years

We were having great fun as empty nesters I must admit then one came home (to the granny flat) with his family (2 grandkids) and I really resented the intrusion into my privacy and being considered as back up parents (no thanks!!!) but now we are sharing a house with my parents and we are all fighting for our own little bit of independence! A little house on Mull is sounding really good right about now!

Having been to see the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel recently - it will all turn out alright in the end, and if it is not alright then it is not the end!!!!

615 days - you can do it!!! Calendar and big red pen and see the days disappear before your very eyes!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
You could take the risk and move over so that your youngest began A levels in September! You might hope that year 11 would have prepared them for an A level curriculum - then, of course, you would have to put up with them in school for another two years

We were having great fun as empty nesters I must admit then one came home (to the granny flat) with his family (2 grandkids) and I really resented the intrusion into my privacy and being considered as back up parents (no thanks!!!) but now we are sharing a house with my parents and we are all fighting for our own little bit of independence! A little house on Mull is sounding really good right about now!

Having been to see the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel recently - it will all turn out alright in the end, and if it is not alright then it is not the end!!!!

615 days - you can do it!!! Calendar and big red pen and see the days disappear before your very eyes!
Reminds me of the scene from Platoon. "615! I can't even remember when I was 6---one ---5!!!"

Or count backwards...
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Judging by how fast Tiddler's Grade 11 and the first term of 12, that will fly faster than a fast thing. Work out how many actual days at school he has left, even more scary
Yep the terms go really fast.

He finishes this term tomorrow apart from 3 more exams - about 2 hours each. Then no school till april 16.

Then that term has 4 public/show holidays in it, so plenty of long weekends.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll

He is really lucky in qld, he will finish grade 12 a few days after he turns 17. Far too young for uni IMO, nice gap year travelling is the plan.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:47 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

He is really lucky in qld, he will finish grade 12 a few days after he turns 17. Far too young for uni IMO, nice gap year travelling is the plan.
Sounds like a plan... (of mine).
Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the terms go really fast.

He finishes this term tomorrow apart from 3 more exams - about 2 hours each. Then no school till april 16.

Then that term has 4 public/show holidays in it, so plenty of long weekends.
Blimey that's early. Tiddler doesn't finish this term until the end of next week, no block exams this term, just a couple during school hours and the assignment stuff, no time off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.