Reload this Page >

State school advice - Gold Coast

State school advice - Gold Coast

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Gardgang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default State school advice - Gold Coast

Hi

We have been told my hubby will be working in southport QLD. We ideally would not want to live too far away 25 min car journey at most but need to find the best place to settle for the best state schools. The houses in coomera look great and upper coomera but obviously don't want to live there if schools are rubbish? Any advice on areas and schools?
Thanks
Sam
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State school advice

Be very wary of PARTS of Coomera. Lots of new estates that are superficially pleasant but full of rentals and centelink clients. Think of the dodgy areas in your home town and whether you would live there.

The police in the area are now requesting people do not wear sunglasses or hats while filling up their ageing Falcadore's with petrol as more people are "forgetting" to pay and it is helpful if you can get their image on the cctv.

Upper Coomera is different again.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 4:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State school advice - Gold Coast

The sky's the limit really having a 25 minute commute from Southport - just about all the coast can be reached in that time. Depends on what you're after. Personally I wouldn't lve in Coomera or UC (not because there's anything wrong with the area, it's just not me or mine) and from what I've read and personal experience I wouldn't want my kids at UCSC which is the main school up there. If that's the style of suburb/housing you're wanting, possibly take a look at Robina, Varsity Lakes way. Excellent schooling.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Gardgang is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to balance schools, work and nice area is very hard, thank you for your advice. We have also been looking at pacific pines and oxenford. Any advice on these two?
What state primary schools would we fall into in these areas?
Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:55 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gardgang
Hi

We have been told my hubby will be working in southport QLD. We ideally would not want to live too far away 25 min car journey at most but need to find the best place to settle for the best state schools. The houses in coomera look great and upper coomera but obviously don't want to live there if schools are rubbish? Any advice on areas and schools?
Thanks
Sam
Have you seen this website for details on Schools?
http://www.myschool.edu.au/
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:14 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gardgang
Trying to balance schools, work and nice area is very hard, thank you for your advice. We have also been looking at pacific pines and oxenford. Any advice on these two?
What state primary schools would we fall into in these areas?
Thanks
from personal experience i would also recommend varsity lakes and varsity college

https://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

just check the catchment areas because they are strict about that,

if you live down varsity/ robina end you will get a get a seat on the train too if thats how you intend to get into brissie etc by the time the trains passed nerang it invariably full so its standing only
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a bit of a shame to come 12000 miles to a place that does offer diverse types of housing and end up on the housing estate Pac Pines, unless you like the screeching tyres of the hoons of an evening that is.

Ask around about who actually lives in the complexes etc and it will give you a good idea of who your children will be sharing a school with.

It was about three years after we removed our child from her first school that a workmate told me of the influence of single parent difficult kids that were bleeding the place to death. Wondered why the teachers were jaded or simply leaving!

Last edited by neil248; Mar 4th 2013 at 7:00 am.