Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting to stress

Starting to stress

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:14 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Starting to stress

We move back to Oz on 1st August, shippers are booked for 28th July, Tenancy agreement is all signed so we have someone moving into the house in the UK on 1st August too. We have temporary accommodation booked in Brisbane and hubby starts work on the 18th August.

I am trying to land hitting the floor running and getting together the stuff for a rental pack when we go to find rentals. We will have an employers ref, relocation package which pays for 3 months of the rental, we have citizenship certs, passports, medicare cards, TFN, letter from my employer which states I get 6 months full pay while on maternity leave and 3 months half pay, bank account however the bank has emailed back this morning to say it cant provide a ref as the account has been dormant for 2 yrs (about 12 months ago there was a deposit into the account) we have over $1000 in the account and they tell me that we need to request this to be lifted and do a deposit or withdrawl before they can issue this. OK we have time however we have used this account to get our Approval to Import a vehicle certificate and does it now mean that they will not pay the $50?

I am 6 1/2 months pregnant to top it all off!

I need to go get a cup of tea and chill for a bit and just think we will be in Brisbane in no time.

Does anyone know if having bank statements from the UK will help secure a rental as we do not intend to exchange money across at this point.

Cheers

Jo
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Starting to stress

Hi Jo,

It sounds to me like you have most things sorted. I don't know much about rentals, but from what I've read, English paperwork means nothing. I think if you take things like mortgage statements to prove you have paid your mortgage and any references you may have if you've rented before then it may help but I don't think there is a definitive answer as to what you should take.

Best of luck for you move and I hope it goes well!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joh117
We move back to Oz on 1st August, shippers are booked for 28th July, Tenancy agreement is all signed so we have someone moving into the house in the UK on 1st August too. We have temporary accommodation booked in Brisbane and hubby starts work on the 18th August.

I am trying to land hitting the floor running and getting together the stuff for a rental pack when we go to find rentals. We will have an employers ref, relocation package which pays for 3 months of the rental, we have citizenship certs, passports, medicare cards, TFN, letter from my employer which states I get 6 months full pay while on maternity leave and 3 months half pay, bank account however the bank has emailed back this morning to say it cant provide a ref as the account has been dormant for 2 yrs (about 12 months ago there was a deposit into the account) we have over $1000 in the account and they tell me that we need to request this to be lifted and do a deposit or withdrawl before they can issue this. OK we have time however we have used this account to get our Approval to Import a vehicle certificate and does it now mean that they will not pay the $50?

I need to go get a cup of tea and chill for a bit and just think we will be in Brisbane in no time.

Does anyone know if having bank statements from the UK will help secure a rental as we do not intend to exchange money across at this point.

Cheers

Jo
Hi Jo

Hope you don't mind me asking but what has made you decide to return to Oz?? Only asking cos we came back to UK and are waiting for out house to sell so we can go back!

Jo
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:02 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johull
Hi Jo

Hope you don't mind me asking but what has made you decide to return to Oz?? Only asking cos we came back to UK and are waiting for out house to sell so we can go back!

Jo

I am expecting child number 2 and here in the UK I need to work full time whereas in Oz I dont have to work as Hubby is paid far more than over here. We also came back for my daughter to know her extended family. Since we returned I have fallen out with my sister and had no contact since Oct last year and my hubby has also not had contact with his older brother for 19mths and the rest of his family have not bothered to visit us in York from london even when we offer to pay the train fares.

So the reasons we came back are not really relevant and my hubby has always wanted to go back. I have finally come round and I also want to give birth in Oz as its the system I know from when I had my daughter.

Dont know if these are good enough reasons but we dont hate the UK and we dont hate Oz are we going to be eternal ping pong poms!

Jo
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Suffolk to Melbourne to Suffolk and back to Melbourne again!
cooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nice

I am expecting child number 2 and here in the UK I need to work full time whereas in Oz I dont have to work as Hubby is paid far more than over here. We also came back for my daughter to know her extended family. Since we returned I have fallen out with my sister and had no contact since Oct last year and my hubby has also not had contact with his older brother for 19mths and the rest of his family have not bothered to visit us in York from london even when we offer to pay the train fares.

So the reasons we came back are not really relevant and my hubby has always wanted to go back. I have finally come round and I also want to give birth in Oz as its the system I know from when I had my daughter.

Dont know if these are good enough reasons but we dont hate the UK and we dont hate Oz are we going to be eternal ping pong poms!

Jo

Good luck with your return, we are returning in Oct, have only been back since last Spet but OH knew he wanted to go back as soon as we landed, it has taken me a while to accept but our quality of life was better in Oz. Can I ask why you have chosen a different location as we are returning to Victoria to the same area? Have also had the family thing here in UK, I sympathise, I have learnt the hard way that you have to put yourself and yours first. All the best.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:17 pm
Pass The Post

Originally Posted by cooksdownunder
Good luck with your return, we are returning in Oct, have only been back since last Spet but OH knew he wanted to go back as soon as we landed, it has taken me a while to accept but our quality of life was better in Oz. Can I ask why you have chosen a different location as we are returning to Victoria to the same area? Have also had the family thing here in UK, I sympathise, I have learnt the hard way that you have to put yourself and yours first. All the best.
New area as we were mornington peninsula and hubby had a horrid commute so couldnt live there again (loved it and lots of good friends there) in the end it came down to where he could get a job. We ruled out Perth, Darwin and Adelaide for various reasons.

Sydney was not favourite as to live close to CBD would cost. In the end QLD won as hubby got a very good job offer with QLD rail with a fantastic relocation package.

Never been to Brisbane so we have a lot of exploring and new friends to make.

We have been back 2 yrs on the 14th July. Good luck with your move

Jo
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:59 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Jo
No, UK statements and references will not help in the slightest. Its about your ability to pay here in Australia. Frankly, I don't know of any rental agency that bothers with even Australian bank references. It would take too long and cost money.

If you don't mind me saying your OTT with all the stuff you already have and will be completely fine.