Reload this Page >

Starting a business on a working holiday visa

Starting a business on a working holiday visa

Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:00 am
Just Joined

nicolaticola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Starting a business on a working holiday visa

Thanks everyone.

So I am proceeding with citizenship by descent, but currently help up by a police certificate for the time I spent in Canada. This is going to take 120 days- and i'm told there are further delays... Not because there are any complications my side.

The idea is for me to stay in Australia- which is why i wanted to start the company here, but I equally don't want to wait. I've done huge amounts of research and got my business plan in order and at this stage I can't progress any further without a company name to start doing further business in... very frustrating!

I've been told that some UK companies are ok to open bank accounts here, however not all of them... So i'm exploring that option with a bank tomorrow.

It may sound impatient, but i've done a lot of work over the last six months on this business plan and really don't want to lose momentum waiting for a police certificate and further month to finalize the citizenship application...

I know of a friend of a friends who started a business here on a student visa, but the classification might be different... I'm just not enough of a visa expert.

I even called ASIC to see if they could help, but they just said it depends on my ability to argue whether i'm in my normal place of living or not.

I'll continue to dig, next stop is an accountant i've found through a friend...

Last edited by nicolaticola; Nov 10th 2014 at 2:02 am. Reason: Grammer
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:13 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolaticola
I know of a friend of a friends who started a business here on a student visa, but the classification might be different... I'm just not enough of a visa expert.
What this visa lets you do
This visa allows you to:

stay in Australia for up to 12 months
work in Australia for up to six months with each employer
study for up to four months
leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.
Working Holiday Visa
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolaticola
Thanks everyone.

So I am proceeding with citizenship by descent, but currently help up by a police certificate for the time I spent in Canada. This is going to take 120 days- and i'm told there are further delays... Not because there are any complications my side.

The idea is for me to stay in Australia- which is why i wanted to start the company here, but I equally don't want to wait. I've done huge amounts of research and got my business plan in order and at this stage I can't progress any further without a company name to start doing further business in... very frustrating!

I've been told that some UK companies are ok to open bank accounts here, however not all of them... So i'm exploring that option with a bank tomorrow.

It may sound impatient, but i've done a lot of work over the last six months on this business plan and really don't want to lose momentum waiting for a police certificate and further month to finalize the citizenship application...

I even called ASIC to see if they could help, but they just said it depends on my ability to argue whether i'm in my normal place of living or not.

I'll continue to dig, next stop is an accountant i've found through a friend...
Well I don't get why you do all this detailed work on your business without getting onto the citizenship application a bit sooner, but never mind..

Your comments on what your friend of a friend did on a student visa, is completely irrelevant to your case. It is a different visa with different rules. The student is (generally) restricted to 40 hours work per fortnight but does not have the six months restriction. You cannot work more than six months on your WHV, not without being in breach of your visa conditions anyway.

Perhaps your timings will work out anyway though and you can get your citizenship through before your six months is up.

Just to pick up on one point, I don't understand why you want to know about a UK company opening a bank account here. If you are running your business here, why wouldn't you just open up an Australian business. You cannot work for either the UK or Australian business beyond six months if you are still on the WHV.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 3:52 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicola.

You'll probably need an ABN to open a bank account in Australia - whether you register an Aus branch of a UK company, or set up a new Pty Limited in Australia.

Send a PM to me if you'd like to explore further.

Best regards.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 3:52 am
Just Joined

You're right Bermudashorts... I probably should have applied sooner, but I didn't. Totally my own fault. Something I'm trying to fix though

Dreamy- I have no intention of working in a job for more than 6 months here... I, of course, will not be breaching any part of my visa, particularly as it could make my citizenship harder to obtain. I thought, considering the timeframe I could form a company. The reason I want to form a company is to progress further with obtaining website quotes, which requires a NDA to be signed. Following advice, it has been highly recommended that this are done in the company name rather than an individuals.

Seems like the best route is to start a company in England.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 3:59 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

You may then need to obtain an ARBN then, Nicola - and then an ABN.

See also our factsheet below on business structures in Australia.

Best regards.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks Alan