Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting a business in Oz from the UK?

Starting a business in Oz from the UK?

Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Starting a business in Oz from the UK?

Hi everyone, I currently run my own business here in the UK and I want to start marketing our services online in Australia.

I figure I can do it all without having to set up an office etc there, and do it fully exporting our services over there initially...

However I would like to eventually register the business over there as a seperate identity, and get a mini office there... with the view to increasing the staff/turnover and possibly (i've not looked into it yet) employ myself to go over there to run it in the coming years.

Would any of the above be possible?
Any advice would be gratefully received
thanks
Jen
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:51 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a business in Oz from the UK?

I think to set up here you would have to be a resident or need to be on some sort of business visa, which will be your best. We transferred to a business visa and got PR in 18 months.
Look up visa Subclass 165. And talk to a migration agent.
Good Luck.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, thanks for that.
I have some family in Perth - so it might be a possibility to set up some sort of partnership deal maybe?

I did come across another site about uk businesses planning to start an Aus branch can apparently sponsor one of its workers to go over there but they'd be paid by the UK and i'm guessing they'd be entitled to zero help and have a time limit to establish something...

not sure if there's any truth in it though - i'll keep looking...

I'd love to go for a business visa, but the turnover simply isn't high enough yet, we only employ 3 people and from what i have read we'd have to have a turnover of about £15k per month, so we've still got a bit of a way to grow... but at least worse case scenario - we set up the website, start some marketing as a uk company offering services to Oz, and get it growing in time for when we're ready to arrive!

Thanks,
Jen
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:48 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this, see if it helps

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/busin...sa-options.htm
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Have a look at this, see if it helps

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/busin...sa-options.htm
Thanks, the info on there is more for getting a visa to move over there to start a business (which is what I intend to do if my revised plan isn't feasible).

I guess what I want to do is launch a business in Australia, but have the directors running it in the UK?

Does anyone have any links to information about what is required to register a business in Oz?

Thanks
Jen
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coppock
Hi everyone, I currently run my own business here in the UK and I want to start marketing our services online in Australia.

I figure I can do it all without having to set up an office etc there, and do it fully exporting our services over there initially...

However I would like to eventually register the business over there as a seperate identity, and get a mini office there... with the view to increasing the staff/turnover and possibly (i've not looked into it yet) employ myself to go over there to run it in the coming years.

Would any of the above be possible?
Any advice would be gratefully received
thanks
Jen
The main thing is to make sure you don't transgress any immigration rules and regulations, if you do it could prevent you from being able to migrate in the future.

Best bet would be to contact a registered migration agent. I have PM'd you details of one I can recommend.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by innojuk
The main thing is to make sure you don't transgress any immigration rules and regulations, if you do it could prevent you from being able to migrate in the future.

Best bet would be to contact a registered migration agent. I have PM'd you details of one I can recommend.
Thanks,
I''ll drop them an email...

I don't see a problem with currently marketing our UK business through online Oz portals - we've done work internationally and had very few problems...

I'm just trying to get a back up plan so we can get to the gold coast. Even if it takes a few more years!!! I've wanted to move there for the last 6 years and due to starting a family and the fact that everytime I come close to qualifying they change everything so i'm back to square one lol!

I'd love to start a branch in Oz before moving over there, even if it was just a couple of members of staff in a little office, helping with the UK workload and marketing the services locally... the idea of setting it up so the business could sponsor me if I fail to qualify for the business visa sounds like a good backup plan - just need to know the ins and outs!!!

Jen
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have emailed the agent,
I just thought i'd post this in case anyone finds this down the line or if anyone has any more information;

http://www.workpermit.com/australia/business_uk.htm

It's where I found the info that apparently the UK company can sponsor an employee over to Oz to set a new branch up... I cannot find any other information regarding it, so I'm not sure on it's legitimacy, but as soon as I find out i'll be sure to post an update!

Jen
Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:46 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
Thanks,
I''ll drop them an email...

I don't see a problem with currently marketing our UK business through online Oz portals - we've done work internationally and had very few problems...

I'm just trying to get a back up plan so we can get to the gold coast. Even if it takes a few more years!!! I've wanted to move there for the last 6 years and due to starting a family and the fact that everytime I come close to qualifying they change everything so i'm back to square one lol!

I'd love to start a branch in Oz before moving over there, even if it was just a couple of members of staff in a little office, helping with the UK workload and marketing the services locally... the idea of setting it up so the business could sponsor me if I fail to qualify for the business visa sounds like a good backup plan - just need to know the ins and outs!!!

Jen

Main points appear to be:
  • Employment of at least 3 full time individuals
  • Turnover to support
  • Training investment

PM me I could have you up and going in 18 months on the GC
Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Main points appear to be:
  • Employment of at least 3 full time individuals
  • Turnover to support
  • Training investment

PM me I could have you up and going in 18 months on the GC
Sounds positive
I'll drop you a pm!
Thanks
Jen