Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance/Kris Flyer question?

Star Alliance/Kris Flyer question?

Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future
Default Star Alliance/Kris Flyer question?

Hi

My family and I have Krisflyer (Singapore Airlines frequent flyer scheme) accounts. We're about 4000 miles off having silver status.

We're planning on flying to Oz in August via the U.S. However, we'll have a bit of baggage and as we're doing a bit of a tour in U.S. on way to Oz, its going to cost a bit in terms of '2nd baggage' charges. I think its about $40 for each 2nd bag that you check in so its gonna cost a bit as we're doing multi stop.

I noticed that if you have silver status on Star Alliance flights, you won't get charged on your 2nd checked bag.

I'm just wondering if there is any way of getting silver status prior to taking flights in August. (They don't give you the miles until you've actually taken your flights so I'm not going to gain them when booking the flights). I've looked at getting a credit card which will give me miles but there aren't any that will benefit my Star Alliance account. It seems that if you take out a credit card with one of the Star Alliance partners, you just get a frequent flyer scheme with them and doesn't bump up your overall miles.

Anyones input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Star Alliance/Kris Flyer question?

The only way you can earn miles that will get you closer to a higher status is flying...credit card miles, hotel, car hire, other partners etc don't count towards status...only flying on Star Alliance airlines will do.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:40 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't help nut notice that your flying via the us. That entitles you to the piece system rather than the kilo limit overall. So checked bagged would. Be two x 23 bags each passenger plus hand luggage no matter which airline you fly. You want more than that ?

Or do you mean domestic flights in the us ?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
Couldn't help nut notice that your flying via the us. That entitles you to the piece system rather than the kilo limit overall. So checked bagged would. Be two x 23 bags each passenger plus hand luggage no matter which airline you fly. You want more than that ?

Or do you mean domestic flights in the us ?
I don't want more than that in terms of allowance but if you're flying to the U.S. they'll charge you $45 for your 2nd bag you check in (and thats the online rate). Domestic they charge you for 1st and 2nd bag that you check in.

As we've got a couple of domestic flights, you can see why I want to get up to silver status so I don't get charged 1st or 2nd bag fee.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kronk
I don't want more than that in terms of allowance but if you're flying to the U.S. they'll charge you $45 for your 2nd bag you check in (and thats the online rate). Domestic they charge you for 1st and 2nd bag that you check in.

As we've got a couple of domestic flights, you can see why I want to get up to silver status so I don't get charged 1st or 2nd bag fee.
That's daft If bags aren't allowed to be over 20kgs but they allow you a higher weight allowance than that, how do they get away with charging more for subsequent bags
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's daft If bags aren't allowed to be over 20kgs but they allow you a higher weight allowance than that, how do they get away with charging more for subsequent bags
https://www.continental.com/web/en-U.../checkbag.aspx

I know, copied Continental's baggage policy on here, United are pretty much the same! Annoying as I need to take a travel cot with me so has to be a 2nd bag fee as I can't exactly add that to the suitcase. So it will cost me $45 to get it to the US and then I'll have 3 lots of domestic flights at $32 each and then $45 from flight to Oz to US. Grand extra baggage costs for taking travel cot from uk to oz is US$186. For that reason, I'm now thinking to ship travel cot with rest of stuff and just use hotel cots on the holiday. Just have to make sure that they don't charge for that though as it could then cost more than bringing the travel cot, aaaagggghhh!!!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:36 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kronk
Hi

My family and I have Krisflyer (Singapore Airlines frequent flyer scheme) accounts. We're about 4000 miles off having silver status.

We're planning on flying to Oz in August via the U.S. However, we'll have a bit of baggage and as we're doing a bit of a tour in U.S. on way to Oz, its going to cost a bit in terms of '2nd baggage' charges. I think its about $40 for each 2nd bag that you check in so its gonna cost a bit as we're doing multi stop.

I noticed that if you have silver status on Star Alliance flights, you won't get charged on your 2nd checked bag.

I'm just wondering if there is any way of getting silver status prior to taking flights in August. (They don't give you the miles until you've actually taken your flights so I'm not going to gain them when booking the flights). I've looked at getting a credit card which will give me miles but there aren't any that will benefit my Star Alliance account. It seems that if you take out a credit card with one of the Star Alliance partners, you just get a frequent flyer scheme with them and doesn't bump up your overall miles.

Anyones input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
singapore airlines are notoriously tight with their programmes. Unless you make the qualifying flights you wont get it.

You could try a partner - is there another star alliance airline you got any points with or can blag any status ? its usually applicable on other airline sin the same alliance.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:22 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Couldn't help nut notice that your flying via the us. That entitles you to the piece system rather than the kilo limit overall. So checked bagged would. Be two x 23 bags each passenger plus hand luggage no matter which airline you fly.
Times, they are a changin!

http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/new-b...across-network