Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:55 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Suffocate them ie. put your hand over their nostrils. They will let go to take a breath of air. Something every Staffy/Bully owner should know.
Someone told me that they stuck their finger up their Pitbulls arse to make it release Please tell me he was joking.

Mind you if someone stuck their finger up my arse I would drop pretty toot sweet.

If you put your hand over their nostrils, surely they are still taking in air through their mouths - there is always a gap when they are gripping?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Someone told me that they stuck their finger up their Pitbulls arse to make it release Please tell me he was joking.

Mind you if someone stuck their finger up my arse I would drop pretty toot sweet.
That's rubbish. You could probaly stick a bargepole up a pitbull/staffy/bully's arse and it still won't release when they are in full flight. Besides, who would want to stick their finger up a dogs arse to get it to let go?

If you put your hand over their nostrils, surely they are still taking in air through their mouths - there is always a gap when they are gripping?
They have got something in their mouth which is blocking the air, hence they need to let go. They need a lot of oxygen to feed their muscles. And if that doesn't work squeeze their windpipe as well.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:08 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

That's rubbish. You could probaly stick a bargepole up a pitbull/staffy/bully's arse and it still won't release when they are in full flight. Besides, who would want to stick their finger up a dogs arse to get it to let go?

They have got something in their mouth which is blocking the air, hence they need to let go. They need a lot of oxygen to feed their muscles. And if that doesn't work squeeze their windpipe as well.
Ive squeezed one dogs windpipe, her neck was so thick it had no effect at all, but I dont have very big hands

Ill remember the bit about the mouth though.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Ive squeezed one dogs windpipe, her neck was so thick it had no effect at all, but I dont have very big hands

Ill remember the bit about the mouth though.
You need to use a fair bit of strength, they are bloody strong dogs. Generally though covering the nose suffices.

There are also things called a 'jaw break' which are placed in the mouth and then the mouth is prised open.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:18 am

You need to use a fair bit of strength, they are bloody strong dogs. Generally though covering the nose suffices.

There are also things called a 'jaw break' which are placed in the mouth and then the mouth is prised open.
So does your hand just go over the snout and you squeeze?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

You know what I find terrifying, is that some breeds just latch on and no matter what you do, they will not let go. What the hell are you meant to do in this situation?

Greyhounds and whippets are easy to get off another dog - you just 'flank them', have one hand on the collar and you pull on their flank quickly and move your hand away quickly and they will drop their 'prey'.

But in that video, the guy kicking his dog and pulling it, it wouldnt release at all - what on earth do you do when a dog has yours by the neck and wont let go?
That scares me also.I wonder if some sort of spray would stop the dog because I know if a powerful dog wanted to hurt mine I could not stop it.Sue.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

lindylui is on a distinguished road

You should try a West Highland White Terrier. That are off the nuts scale! The most vicious dog I have ever owned. Never have another.
u dont have a problem, i have an english bull terrier and they are great
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

So does your hand just go over the snout and you squeeze?
Yes, over the snout so they can't breathe through their nostrils.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lindylui
u dont have a problem, i have an english bull terrier and they are great
I've owned an English Bully in the past too. He was big, 35kgs. Fantastic dogs. Actually prefer them to Staffies and I've got a Staffy at the moment. The Bully was sedate compared to the Westie... They are absolutely nuts.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:48 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, over the snout so they can't breathe through their nostrils.
I used to have an American staff x when I was younger and had to do that to it all the time, it had a thing for my ponytail!
I have also had a westie and it was the sweetest little dog ever bit of a pain when we went anywhere though as it used to fret.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kelli28
I used to have an American staff x when I was younger and had to do that to it all the time, it had a thing for my ponytail!
I have also had a westie and it was the sweetest little dog ever bit of a pain when we went anywhere though as it used to fret.
My Westie used to attack everything from German Shepherds to Great Danes. It was mental. Must have been the Scottish in it!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 5:09 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

My Westie used to attack everything from German Shepherds to Great Danes. It was mental. Must have been the Scottish in it!
My Jack Russels a bit like that it even goes after 6ft roos and horses! I call it "little dog syndrome"
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:25 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Any dog breed has the potential to be dangerous, obviously the larger the breed, the larger the potential.
Just pointing out that the obsession of branding pitbulls or staffies as particularly dangerous is wrong.
It is how they are trained, socialized etc. that is the overriding factor as to if they will turn out vicious or not.
If your average rednecks/chavs had decided that bull mastiffs or, god forbid, caucasian mountain dogs, were the best status symbol to have, you would have seen far more instances of people being seriously hurt by dangerous dogs.
I fully agree that branding entire breeds as dangerous is misleading. The author of the post I was replying to with the Great Dane comment said that all big dogs should be classed as dangerous (and mentioned Great Danes specifically)

Personally, I'd much rather have a large dog than a small yappy rat on a stick.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:35 am

I would never have a dog that I couldnt hold, my little dog is 21kg and that is my limit. I could break his jaw grip if I had to and I would never ever have anything that could lock its jaws in. That little girl that was killed by a dog, her parents couldnt break the grip of the dog - scarey

http://www.boosharticles.com/4093/th...-is-in-custody

I cannot imagine how they felt I really can't and yes I agree that the small yappy dogs can be just as vicious, at least you can break the grip of a smaller dog.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Aug 25th 2010 at 6:39 am.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I fully agree that branding entire breeds as dangerous is misleading. The author of the post I was replying to with the Great Dane comment said that all big dogs should be classed as dangerous (and mentioned Great Danes specifically)

Personally, I'd much rather have a large dog than a small yappy rat on a stick.
Indeed, if you want a dog, get a dog, if you want something small and fluffy, get a guinea pig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.