British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   !st Morning in Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/st-morning-singapore-408346/)

Fionast Nov 16th 2006 12:17 am

!st Morning in Singapore

We've arrived in Singapore last night and had a wander about. Our room is 19 floors up and we have found an unsecured wireless connection to hijack. It's a bit hit and miss though.

It was hard leaving our family at the airport but not as bad as I expected. I had told everybody that I had banned tears and that if they wanted to cry they had to bring onions with them!! The joke as pitiful as it was seemed to work. When anyone got a bit tearful we just said have you brought your onions and they were ok.

It hit me on the plane when we had taken off and were waving bye bye to Glasgow. I had to stare out the window for about 10 mins then it was ok.

I'm just off for my shower and heading out to explore.

Fiona

elmtree Nov 16th 2006 12:32 am

Re: !st Morning in Singapore

Originally Posted by Fionast
We've arrived in Singapore last night and had a wander about. Our room is 19 floors up and we have found an unsecured wireless connection to hijack. It's a bit hit and miss though.

It was hard leaving our family at the airport but not as bad as I expected. I had told everybody that I had banned tears and that if they wanted to cry they had to bring onions with them!! The joke as pitiful as it was seemed to work. When anyone got a bit tearful we just said have you brought your onions and they were ok.

It hit me on the plane when we had taken off and were waving bye bye to Glasgow. I had to stare out the window for about 10 mins then it was ok.

Fiona

Good Luck, Fiona !

How long are you in Singapore ? If you get chance, go to the zoo - it's brill. Sentosa island is good, too. And make sure you have a Singapore sling in the Long Bar at the Raffles hotel and throw the monkey-nut shells on the floor ( it's tradition )

Enjoy. It's a great place.

hoots nan Nov 16th 2006 12:52 am

Hi Fiona
well that is the first leg nearly done! Brisbane is currently warm but breezy, have a great time in Singapore, we stopped there when we came over, really enjoyed our time there. Like Elmtree said if you get time do all the things suggested. Whereabouts in Brisbane are you heading?
take care, Rach x

neiluk Nov 16th 2006 10:36 pm

Hi Fiona
Have a great time in singapore we stayed there for three days and had agreat time dont forget to the market in china town great bargains and have fun haggling the price to.Its hard i know leaving family we have taken my mums only three gran children away from them and they cant come over till next crimbo but trust me with email and web cam it makes things a bit easier and you will love your new life
neil

lacey21 Nov 16th 2006 10:48 pm

have the best time Fi

big fat ones to ya

Lace xx

Fionast Nov 16th 2006 11:41 pm

Thanks everyone. We are here for 5 nights - 3 left now.

We are off to Sentosa tomorrow. This morning we have a city tour and this evening the night safari.

We took yesterday easy and wandered around finding our bearings and had a rickshaw ride at night. It was soo funny being riden around with music blaring!!

The hard part of leaving everyone is over for the time being and I just feel like I'm on holiday.

we arrive in Brisbane on the 20th.

Fiona

Jockstar Nov 17th 2006 4:47 am

Go to Smith Street for some fantastic food. Try the black peppered crab. :beer:

Plug Nov 17th 2006 5:04 am

Wow, reading your thread brought back fond memories of Singapore, we had a week there on the way out to Brisbane last year. Your just in time to see some serious thunderstorms here before it hots up for Christmas...where are you staying in Brisbane? Good luck with the rest of your trip!

Issie Nov 17th 2006 7:06 am

Fiona

Aaaahhhh good luck Fiona and Family :)

Matt Sabin Nov 17th 2006 8:18 am

Enjoy the night safari - we thought it was fantastic. Like something out of Jurassic park - go and eat chilli crabs in the hawker's stalls afterwards.
And enjoy... it's pretty painful leaving the family but, believe me, you are embarking on the most amazing adventure - AUSTRALIA IS BRILLIANT!!! :)
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Thanks everyone. We are here for 5 nights - 3 left now.

We are off to Sentosa tomorrow. This morning we have a city tour and this evening the night safari.

We took yesterday easy and wandered around finding our bearings and had a rickshaw ride at night. It was soo funny being riden around with music blaring!!

The hard part of leaving everyone is over for the time being and I just feel like I'm on holiday.

we arrive in Brisbane on the 20th.

Fiona