Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding while on holiday in Australia from UK

Speeding while on holiday in Australia from UK

Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding while on holiday in Australia from UK

Originally Posted by Lisa Cameron
Hi all,

Thanks for advice.

Update....
we paid the fine, they sent a letter out here (UK) after my sister-in-law in Australia sent them our details, he was driving their car and wouldn't want them to take the points etc, only fair as he was driving, paid online, stated 4 points but never asked for his documents etc.

we are hoping to return and hopefully to live one day, not yet applied for Visa's etc, does that mean if we did move, he would get the points put onto his licence there?
Lisa
Yes, when you move over you will probably get the points put on, well my husband did anyway. Got fined when we were there on holiday, then when we moved over later that year, when he applied for his aussie licence they had kindly added the points for speeding May be a different situation if a couple of years pass before you move over.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:23 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar experience, a small speeding fine whilst on a UK license whilst visiting the year before emigration. When I moved here and applied for an Aussie license, it was issued with a point already on it. I was very surprised that their database had the details on it, but they had my UK license number on file and when I presented it...........
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

we are hoping to return and hopefully to live one day, not yet applied for Visa's etc, does that mean if we did move, he would get the points put onto his licence there?
Lisa
The points last for three years. Chances are, the length of time visas take etc, any points could have expired by the time you got here. Shouldn't worry about it.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

4 points? According to the office of road safety website that would have had to be over 30 km over the speed limit. Hardly safe driving!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Fackers. I was in same boat - got done for speeding twice and they sent a letter back to UK. I sent a letter saying I was an innocent tourist blah blah. As both tickets were on the same stretch of rd within an hour they said it was some kind of rule to waive 1 fine. But I still had to pay the other one. I paid (only as was going to move over soon). I applied for a license a year later after we'd moved and never got any points. Maybe I was lucky. Probably depends on the state etc.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

martin102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks for advice.

Update....
we paid the fine, they sent a letter out here (UK) after my sister-in-law in Australia sent them our details, he was driving their car and wouldn't want them to take the points etc, only fair as he was driving, paid online, stated 4 points but never asked for his documents etc.

Lisa
I was caught speeding on holiday in WA in 2005, Paid the fine while i was still there. When we emigrated in 2006 and applied for a WA licence it was issued with the points i had gained in 2005.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I wish they'd had that rule two years ago when I got my suspension in Sydney. Two fines 6 days apart from the Moore Park camera put me off the road for 3 months.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Lisa Cameron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gabriel11
You must have had a great time over there.Australia is great place for holidaying. The beaches are excellent and worth visiting. One could easily get lost in the natural beauty.The drive through the great ocean road is a life time experience.
Yes, it's amazing! I love it there
Sadly no plans to move there yet
Lol
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:42 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
4 points? According to the office of road safety website that would have had to be over 30 km over the speed limit. Hardly safe driving!
Not necessarily. Inappropriate speed is dangerous, not speed per se.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa
I doubt it very much. Even if by some miracle they did it's only 4 points and by the time your husband was here half or more of the expiry time would have elapsed. I also don't see how they could tie the two records together exactly without a date of birth, passport number etc.

p.s. My friend managed to get one a couple of years ago whilst visiting WA [I told him to slow down !]. He now has the infringement demand, complete with him driving, framed on his office wall.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Oh and by the way, he wasn't doing over 30km over the limit
Lisa
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and by the way, he wasn't doing over 30km over the limit
Lisa
Are you sure it was 4 points? last time I looked it was either 3 or 5 points depending on speed?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived a got a number of fines for speeding - 63 in a 60 was the usual one! I was still on UK licence and when I got my Aussie one about 2 years later there were no points. This is in Victoria
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Yes defo 4 points, down in Dunsbourgh
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:38 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabriel11
You must have had a great time over there.Australia is great place for holidaying. The beaches are excellent and worth visiting. One could easily get lost in the natural beauty.The drive through the great ocean road is a life time experience.
Yep, sure is. Don't suppose you'd happen to know of a motel down there would you, Gabriel?

Oh look! You have the website for one on your profile. Strange, that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.