Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spas - do i leave it on all the time or just when needed? :)

spas - do i leave it on all the time or just when needed? :)

Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:26 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default spas - do i leave it on all the time or just when needed? :)

Hi all,

Can i ask if anyone knows if its cheaper to leave your spa on all the time, i.e to a set temperature or only turn it on the morning your gonna use it?

Hubby works away one week on one week off so we only use it when hes home, rang Synergy who were no help :/

Fanx...
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:18 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spas - do i leave it on all the time or just when needed? :)

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi all,

Can i ask if anyone knows if its cheaper to leave your spa on all the time, i.e to a set temperature or only turn it on the morning your gonna use it?

Hubby works away one week on one week off so we only use it when hes home, rang Synergy who were no help :/

Fanx...
No idea, just wanted to say love your avatars hair
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Mine is set to 38 all year round!!!!! Cost a bloody fortune but well worth it!!!!
Angela
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

If leaving for 5-14 days and no one can come by
to maintain the hot tub do the following:
1. Lower the temperature to around 80ºF. Sanitizers
last longer in cooler water.
2. Check and adjust pH level if necessary.
3. Use either a Beachcomber floating tablet dispenser
or a Holiday Tender tablet dispenser to
automatically dispense bromine or chlorine in
your hot tub. Use a low setting on these devices
as the demand for disinfectant will be low during
this time.
4. Lock the cover and attach a Hurricane strap in
high wind areas.
Upon returning do the following:
1. Check pH and sanitizer level and adjust if
necessary.
2. Return temperature setting to your desired level.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice

jealous that you have a spa. it's like 4 degrees c here in rainy manchester.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

brodge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Drell
jealous that you have a spa. it's like 4 degrees c here in rainy manchester.
It's not raining in Manchester!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice

I beg to differ, I live in m4 and it was raining when I sent that message.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

I live in M29 and it wasn't raining here when you typed your message
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

M29 and M4 are AGES away from eachother in Manchester cloud terms...I've known it rain on one side of the street and not the other....

Roll on Melbourne.... where are you off to?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Drell
M29 and M4 are AGES away from eachother in Manchester cloud terms...I've known it rain on one side of the street and not the other....

Roll on Melbourne.... where are you off to?
Very True

Had a job offer verbally on Thursday working in Brisbane CBD, just awaiting the official offer via email... when do you go to Melbourne?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brodge
Very True

Had a job offer verbally on Thursday working in Brisbane CBD, just awaiting the official offer via email... when do you go to Melbourne?
not for a while, applying for PR after christmas based on OH's skills but considering trying to get sponsorship...

good luck in Brisbane. My mates off out there in October.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi all,

Fanx...
Very good question. We use ours about once every two weeks during the dark nights but drain it in October and use the pool instead.

When we have used it, I turn ours down to the minimum 20C but leave the pump on auto. That way it runs about 4 x 1 hr a day just keeping the water filtered but not heating. 24 hrs before we use it, I turn it up to 38C.

I do suspect that that doing this uses more power than leaving it on a warm temp all the time.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:38 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Very good question. We use ours about once every two weeks during the dark nights but drain it in October and use the pool instead.

When we have used it, I turn ours down to the minimum 20C but leave the pump on auto. That way it runs about 4 x 1 hr a day just keeping the water filtered but not heating. 24 hrs before we use it, I turn it up to 38C.

I do suspect that that doing this uses more power than leaving it on a warm temp all the time.
ahh thanks everyone for your help, bloody electricity and gas is so expensive here in perth!! ill turn the heat down the weeks hes away then so atleast the filter works fanx peeps xx
Old Sep 18th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Off and On will cost you more. Leave it at warm temp.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Off and On will cost you more. Leave it at warm temp.
Do you leave your car ticking over all night , so it's ready for the morning??
We used to get this question all the time in the UK regarding the immersion heater

On average, in well designed spas the heaters are sized to raise the water temperature by 18 deg per hour.... recommended spa temp is 35 to 38 degrees,
now assuming ambient air temp of 15 deg, the spa water temp will be in the region of 12 degrees sooooooooo should be up and ready within 2 hours of turning the heater on

It is really more important to keep an eye on the water balance and the levels of your disinfectant
This link is well worth a read for ALL spa and Pool owners

http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/nphp/enhea...f/heatspas.pdf

Last edited by Rossi; Sep 20th 2010 at 2:31 pm. Reason: Link to info added

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.