Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorry, what drugs problem?

Sorry, what drugs problem?

Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Diane i totally agree with you , we never had the need for any of the crap around and never will , its all senseless isnt it
Joanne
I love cider to
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jopaulss
Diane i totally agree with you , we never had the need for any of the crap around and never will , its all senseless isnt it
Joanne
I love cider to
Hi Joanne
Is it readily available in Oz and if so what do they have

I am still partial to a bit of cider ,not the dead strong stuff though

Diane

Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to piss on your bonfire but alcohol IS a drug and causes fare more misery and damage than any BANNED substances - but because the government says u can tip it down your neck its ok?

"Diane i totally agree with you , we never had the need for any of the crap around and never will , its all senseless isnt it
Joanne
I love cider to"

Irony at its best, Jo!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:43 pm
WBB

Originally posted by warwick road
sorry to piss on your bonfire but alcohol IS a drug and causes fare more misery and damage than any BANNED substances - but because the government says u can tip it down your neck its ok?

"Diane i totally agree with you , we never had the need for any of the crap around and never will , its all senseless isnt it
Joanne
I love cider to"

Irony at its best, Jo!
agreed

anyone got any skins

Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

someone once told me you could have up to 3 skunk plants on the go in certain states and this would be considered "personal use"

anyone shed any light on this(no pun intended!!)

welsh billy they are caleed "tally's" over there, bad luck last night son - gutted 4 giggsy & sparky

Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

is that how u got into oz? our kid is in that game(sales rep for pfizer) she is interested in goin but unsure whether that will get her in?
warwick road

Yes thats how i got into oz.....gave me 60 points on skilled trade!
does your daughter wanna give me a job in her company ( and then move that job to Perth!) if so, let me know as i am findinng it v difficult to find a job there even though they need pharmacists out there ( and thats the basis i got the visa so quick!)
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

our kid = sister!! thought u were a manc!!!

jaysus im way too young to have a daughter im only 30

so a sales rep for pfizer gets u 60 points?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Underage drinking is another really big problem here, I Read this report

In a recent survey of schools in Port Macquarie, NSW - 80 per cent of 14 and 15-year- olds admitted to drinking alcohol in the previous fortnight and in many cases they were supplied alcohol by parents, older siblings and friends.

Probably no different to UK but I think beer and beach are more of a lifestyle thing here.

Last edited by karawara88; Nov 20th 2003 at 2:47 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

our kid = sister!! thought u were a manc!!!

jaysus im way too young to have a daughter im only 30

so a sales rep for pfizer gets u 60 points?

i am manc and understand our kid !!!!!!!! ( wasnt sure if thats what u meant - and i thought you sounded a bit young for a kid that old seeing as u caused a stir in the drugs/humour thread!!)sales rep may not get 60 points though need to check on immi.gov.au .....
good luck....
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

We have to check the kids playground at work regularly as needles have been found on the oval next to it, in the last few months we've found several bongs, condoms & empty needle packets.

Have often told my son about not touching needles, he keeps getting mixed up though & says he's got to watch out for pins!

loopy
Old Nov 20th 2003, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
Hi Joanne
Is it readily available in Oz and if so what do they have

I am still partial to a bit of cider ,not the dead strong stuff though

Diane

The basics of the Australian drug culture. Other Aussies feel free to correct/update me. (Hello OzTennis)

(1) Cocaine/crack are rare and expensive. Columbia is a long way away.

(2) Home-made speed (amphetamine; generally by biker gangs) is pretty common.

(3) Pot is EVERYWHERE. It's grown locally and also smuggled in from the far East (what you will be calling Asia instead once you've landed). Different states have different laws regarding it's cultivation. SA had a little experiment that resulted in people renting houses, filling every room with lights and hydroponics and it was all technically kind-of-legal. I think they've changed the law now. Most states will let you grow a few 'for personal use'. I don't know about Qld, as they are 50 years behind on everything.

(4) Herion, again from the Far East (mainly Thailand etc.) is a pretty serious problem. There's a lot of it about and occasionally some really good stuff gets smuggled in and people over-dose all over the place.

(5) Ecstasy seems to be a problem of the same magnitude as it is in the UK. In fact, I believe that most of the stuff is shipped in from the UK. Could be wrong on that one.

(6) It is rare for the drug scence to be brazen enough for you to notice it, so don't worry about it. It's much worse in London I can assure you; and I live in NW6 not Brixton.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Default Ecstacy

$50 a pill when i was there, pretty much available whenever but the price was enough to put you off...

£2 in manchester....

Once the Aussies cotton on how to make it, and how to make it pay for them, the price will come down and a handful of people will get rich.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 4:38 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>sorry to piss on your bonfire but alcohol IS a drug and causes fare more misery and damage than any BANNED substances - but because the government says u can tip it down your neck its ok?<<

Don't entirely agree.

Alcohol causes much misery to the drinker and in some cases to others caught up in the problems they have (pedestrians hit by drunks, eg.). But a very large part of the crime that now afflicts most "advanced" countries is directly caused by druggies getting their cash whichever way that they can - mugging, burglary and so on. The victims here are all innocents who are caught up in the collateral damage.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

A cousin of ours grew up within a very respectable family environment in a beautiful Devon village and he became a heroin addict at 17. Fortunately he has been clean for over 12 months now through sheer hard work.

We live close to Birmingham where drugs are all too common.
So this is one thread that doesn't worry us as this problem will be there wherever you go in the world.

As for the comment that NSW has a problem with teenage drinkers, because they have tried alcohol... what a load of rubbish!

France and Spain give young children wine from an early age... do they all grow up to be alcoholics? I doubt it.

I believe it's up to us as parents to guide our kids as best we can and basically hope and pray they listen to at least half of what we say!

:lecture: :lecture:
Old Nov 20th 2003, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rog Williams
>>sorry to piss on your bonfire but alcohol IS a drug and causes fare more misery and damage than any BANNED substances - but because the government says u can tip it down your neck its ok?<<

Don't entirely agree.

Alcohol causes much misery to the drinker and in some cases to others caught up in the problems they have (pedestrians hit by drunks, eg.). But a very large part of the crime that now afflicts most "advanced" countries is directly caused by druggies getting their cash whichever way that they can - mugging, burglary and so on. The victims here are all innocents who are caught up in the collateral damage.

do u agree then that if you made heroin legal and give it the addicts for free then a large proportion of burgalry/mugging would stop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.