Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorry, what drugs problem?

Sorry, what drugs problem?

Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry, what drugs problem?

I have just received an interesting email from a friend and these are her exact words

"What things have you heard about Perth that have put you off, is it the drug's problem?"

Now am I being totally naive but what drugs problem is she referring to?

I am just about to mail her back to see if she will elaborate on this statement

BTW we haven't been put off emigrating to Perth, we have just had a few misgivings(drug problem not being one of them) and we have decided to visit Oz before totally commiting ourselves.

Diane
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry, what drugs problem?

"What things have you heard about Perth that have put you off, is it the drug's problem?"

Probably the same problem there is everywhere else in the world.

It's funny-peculiar - I've never in my life knowingly been offered drugs yet apparently every ten-year-old knows who is the best pusher in the area.

Two "cultures" running parallel, so I'm sure it's the same in WA.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:30 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute
Default drugs

I travel to Perth 4 times annually from the U.K. I own property there and have sisters with various offspring ages ranging between 9 months and 24 years.

I do not know of any serious drug problem as such - there is availablity of some illegal substances I am told- but I havent ever seen it as problematic. in the sense that needle park in Switzerland is or some of the U.S. Crack alleys.

There is crime in W.A (burglaries etc)which I am sure is drug related but not so that it glaringly obvious.

As a parent myself I would feel very happy to bring my kids up in Perth.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point

when i was there last there was 2 huge drugs problems...

availability and price!!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: drugs

Originally posted by rgregan

As a parent myself I would feel very happy to bring my kids up in Perth.

Thanks Richard

That has reassured me

Diane
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by warwick road
when i was there last there was 2 huge drugs problems...

availability and price!!
lol!!!
drug problems are good for me - means i have work to do ( being a drug dealer!!)
of the official kind ( before u all start blocking me off your lists!)
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:57 am
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point

in the sense that needle park in Switzerland is or some of the U.S. Crack alleys.

Hi

just wanted to say that 'needle park has gone for about ten years now, and Switzerland probably has one of the best systems in preventing young people from taking/start taking drugs, giving information as well as help with 'drug rooms' and programmes to come off drugs... in the world.

It seems so easy to make comments like that. I must also say that the three times I have visited Edinburgh I have been shocked about the teenagers drugged or totally drunk lying in the streets.

The only place in Perth that can be dangerous, is IMO Northbrigde at night.

Just wanted to say that. Hope you don't mind.

Barbara
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bawi
The only place in Perth that can be dangerous, is IMO Northbrigde at night.

Barbara
Thanks Barbara
I will add that one to my list if it isn't already on it

Diane
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by salonit
lol!!!
drug problems are good for me - means i have work to do ( being a drug dealer!!)
of the official kind ( before u all start blocking me off your lists!)

is that how u got into oz? our kid is in that game(sales rep for pfizer) she is interested in goin but unsure whether that will get her in?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

my cousin got robbed and leathered with a bat off a load of abbo's in northbridge. i beleive they are a bit of a problem round there......

before anyone starts im not racist ok - just stating a fact
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

We must be living in a different Perth. Maybe I am just imagining the syringe disposal boxes in most public toilets.

Donna went into public toilet in Mandurah to see two men and a women in toilet jacking up.

Its estimated that there are 21000 heroin users in WA, 8000 who are dependant.

WA has second highest use of illicit drugs in Australia.

read http://www.ministers.wa.gov.au/speec...mmitSpeech.pdf
Old Nov 20th 2003, 12:36 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

the few public loo's ive been in havent had any needle bins in them!!!!! and i certainly havent seen anyone 'jacking up'!!!!

where i lived in the uk there were young teenagers who were known to be dealers though and i would have considered it to be a nice area....
maybe i walk around and dont notice these things????
Old Nov 20th 2003, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Yep have seen the boxes in toilets too , the ones off barrack street near the bell tower and target in perth have them to !!
Kids say they see lots of syringes around to , just educate them well thats all we can do isnt it and hope
Joanne
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:07 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

My daughter bought a letter home from school last week and it said that there had been two syringes found on their school playing field and I was to warn her not to touch them.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared: I going to get people from all over the UK telling me now that this happens all the time at their childs school. Well it never happened at my daughters school in the UK?

I to have seen the syringe boxes even in the toilets in Target in the Galleria shopping centre! They also have the ultraviolet lights so you can't inject yourselves. It is a good idea to have the boxes, better than finding them in the school fields!

They do have a drug problem here, I imagine its the same everywhere. I still wouldn't know where to buy any though, and pround to say have never taken anything and never will.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by janeyray
I still wouldn't know where to buy any though, and proud to say have never taken anything and never will.
Yeah I can also say I have never taken or smoked anything and never will.
I suppose times have changed.
I remember when I was a teenager,yes Ii can remember that far back
We used to get our kicks from a bottle of cider and then when the bottle was empty a good old game of spin the bottle

We used to have a great time without the need to take drugs although some would argue that alcohol is a "drug"

Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.