Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sooooooo Gravy!!!

Sooooooo Gravy!!!

Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sooooooo Gravy!!!

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
Have had to laugh at you lot...honestly!!

I grew up knowing nothing but Gravox(being an Aussie and all!!) and when I moved to the UK and was faced with this watery tastless stuff called Bisto, I thought my world would end!! I am a gravy lover and have it on anything and everything

But guess what?? When I moved to the UK and wasnt able to get my usual Gravox (as its an Aussie product and, shock horror, I wasnt in Australia anymore) I had to find an alternative...Bisto seems my only choice, which I wasnt too happy about. However I did get used to it. In fact, after 4 years of living in the UK, I actually enjoyed it. When I came back to Australia, it was hard to go back to Gravox...but I have and am now used to it again!!

I don't even know why I'm worried I never ever eat gravy anyway! But I know what its like to not have access to the foods you love.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:06 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I don't even know why I'm worried I never ever eat gravy anyway! But I know what its like to not have access to the foods you love.

So do I, trust me!! You have alot more choice of UK foods here than I had of Aussie foods over there...

But you adapt, you have to. You will find stuff here you like, and if not you just need to take the time to get used to the differences. If you wanted nothing different, then why move across the other side of the world?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Have had to laugh at you lot...honestly!!

I grew up knowing nothing but Gravox(being an Aussie and all!!) and when I moved to the UK and was faced with this watery tastless stuff called Bisto, I thought my world would end!! I am a gravy lover and have it on anything and everything

But guess what?? When I moved to the UK and wasnt able to get my usual Gravox (as its an Aussie product and, shock horror, I wasnt in Australia anymore) I had to find an alternative...Bisto seems my only choice, which I wasnt too happy about. However I did get used to it. In fact, after 4 years of living in the UK, I actually enjoyed it. When I came back to Australia, it was hard to go back to Gravox...but I have and am now used to it again!!

Gravox tastes plastic.

But then again so does Bisto.....
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:31 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

So do I, trust me!! You have alot more choice of UK foods here than I had of Aussie foods over there...

But you adapt, you have to. You will find stuff here you like, and if not you just need to take the time to get used to the differences. If you wanted nothing different, then why move across the other side of the world?
I don't think this thread is about wanting nothing different - rather, I've read it as:

Sooooo Gravy (aka Bisto, a UK brand) is nice, we used to be able to buy it in Australia, now we can't. Alternatives aren't popular. How can we get shops to change their mind and restock? Probably a lost cause, so let's try making our own or improving alternatives.

I think people do know that when you move, things are going to be different and that they'll need time to get used to the differences. Well, most people at least
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I must have been very privilaged as I had a phone call from woolworths regarding my email. I was told that the suppliers couldn't keep up with the demand (I am not surprised) and that unfortunatly Bisto were not prepared to change the sizing of the cannister to take into account the wasted air space and which made some sort of legal problem. Probably all waffle but hey ho. I have now asked my friend to ship out 6 large containers of either that or Tesco own brand they are all better than the crap here. Now if we could just sort out Walkers crips and a couple of other odd things I will truley be in paradise.

Jo
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:27 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Conversation in our house this evening.

Son: MUMMMMMMMM where's the So Gravy
Mum: Gone!
Son: OK but seriously I am not having the aussie stuff
Mum: don't then make your own (he is a part time chef)
Son: ok who is coming out next to bring the Bisto then
Mum: Seriously!
Son: Seriously.......you have ruined dinner
Mum: I never touched your dinner you cooked it start to finish.
Son: I want the gravy to finish it....!
Mum: Bugger off and write to Woolworths...

Son: Muuuuuuuuuuuum will you write? Dinner don't taste the same?

Now...will I go and buy the Bisto from the UK shop and wrap it up from Santa....even at the price it is? I think I might for my 16 yr old, just to see the smile.

Cheers
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Sooooooo Gravy!!!

Originally Posted by Sandra
Conversation in our house this evening.

Son: MUMMMMMMMM where's the So Gravy
Mum: Gone!
Son: OK but seriously I am not having the aussie stuff
Mum: don't then make your own (he is a part time chef)
Son: ok who is coming out next to bring the Bisto then
Mum: Seriously!
Son: Seriously.......you have ruined dinner
Mum: I never touched your dinner you cooked it start to finish.
Son: I want the gravy to finish it....!
Mum: Bugger off and write to Woolworths...

Son: Muuuuuuuuuuuum will you write? Dinner don't taste the same?

Now...will I go and buy the Bisto from the UK shop and wrap it up from Santa....even at the price it is? I think I might for my 16 yr old, just to see the smile.

Cheers

Well, all I can say is that I live in the UK and my missus doesn't use gravy powder of any sort. She makes it herself, the old fashioned way.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Well, all I can say is that I live in the UK and my missus doesn't use gravy powder of any sort. She makes it herself, the old fashioned way.
VasSSSSSSSSSSSSSoooooooooooooooooHGRAVEEEEEEEEEEEe eeeeeY

So do I !

This is a mid week meal (understand the last night reference) we are talking quick easy bisto gravy ...... the son and I know how to make REAL gravy.

WE still like Bisto

I sometimes put a couple of teaspoons of bisto in while making my lamb stew.....I also put coffee powder in if bored!

Grab the context.....WE LIKE BISTO...WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO BUY BISTO IN AUS FOR A REASONABLE PRICE.

no still missed the point....then please do not comment further on this thread.

Cheeeeeeeeeeers
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:10 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Sooooooo Gravy!!!

Originally Posted by Sandra
VasSSSSSSSSSSSSSoooooooooooooooooHGRAVEEEEEEEEEEEe eeeeeY

So do I !

This is a mid week meal (understand the last night reference) we are talking quick easy bisto gravy ...... the son and I know how to make REAL gravy.

WE still like Bisto

I sometimes put a couple of teaspoons of bisto in while making my lamb stew.....I also put coffee powder in if bored!

Grab the context.....WE LIKE BISTO...WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO BUY BISTO IN AUS FOR A REASONABLE PRICE.

no still missed the point....then please do not comment further on this thread.

Cheeeeeeeeeeers
Yes, I already got all of that from your earlier post. I don't know what gave you the idea that I'm missing the point.

It was just my 2p, for crying out loud. Nothing personal - and certainly no comment on your ability to make gravy.

Good grief.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 18th 2006 at 7:27 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 8:53 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Crumble them up into a jug, slowly pour in cold water while stirring until you have the amount you want. Heat it on the cooker, when it is boiling turn down to a simmer. While it's cooling put cornflour into a jug and stir in cold water until mixed then pour into your gravy while stirring the gravy.

I've only just got it right after 4 months of trying
okay wendy, have tried it today

two questions......

when you mix the cornflour, what consistency should it be?

how long after you slowly mix in the cornflour, can the gravy be used.

the reason i asked, is i mixed the cornflour to a sloppy paste'' and then put it in the gravy, and then served it on the kids teas. it seemed too thin. we eat after the kids have gone to bed, so our tea is in the oven....mmmm, lovely big leg of lamb. the kids loved their gravy, but it was too thin.

so, i made up some more cornflour, and put it in the rest of the gravy on a low heat. its now cooking nicely, adn seems much more like gravy shoul be. i presumed i should have started the gravy before i did, and let it simmer with the cornflour in for 10-20 minutes??!!!

not too bad for a first effort though. also, salt and pepper??

thanks honey
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
okay wendy, have tried it today

two questions......

when you mix the cornflour, what consistency should it be?

how long after you slowly mix in the cornflour, can the gravy be used.

the reason i asked, is i mixed the cornflour to a sloppy paste'' and then put it in the gravy, and then served it on the kids teas. it seemed too thin. we eat after the kids have gone to bed, so our tea is in the oven....mmmm, lovely big leg of lamb. the kids loved their gravy, but it was too thin.

so, i made up some more cornflour, and put it in the rest of the gravy on a low heat. its now cooking nicely, adn seems much more like gravy shoul be. i presumed i should have started the gravy before i did, and let it simmer with the cornflour in for 10-20 minutes??!!!

not too bad for a first effort though. also, salt and pepper??

thanks honey

I put about 5 tablespoons of cornflour in a cup and just cover it with water, so it's quite thick. Put it in the gravy and let it simmer for about 10 to 20 minutes. Usually comes out about right, but if not just add a bit more until it looks right for you.

Put in salt and pepper depending on your taste and a bit of juice from the meat as well
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:13 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I put about 5 tablespoons of cornflour in a cup and just cover it with water, so it's quite thick. Put it in the gravy and let it simmer for about 10 to 20 minutes. Usually comes out about right, but if not just add a bit more until it looks right for you.

Put in salt and pepper depending on your taste and a bit of juice from the meat as well

i bow to you oh gravy queen.

cheers honey. i did save some juice from the potatoes to put in, but it was warm, so i left it out. will do next time though.

k duly sent
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i bow to you oh gravy queen.

cheers honey. i did save some juice from the potatoes to put in, but it was warm, so i left it out. will do next time though.

k duly sent

Just keep messing about with it a little til you get it how you like it.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:42 am
Just Joined

nickf is an unknown quantity at this point

I got some today (20th Oct) at Woolies in Strathpine but they only had chicken not beef.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:26 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Spoke to Riviana foods today - the company that imported Soooo Gravy for Woolworths. Apparently they also provided some to Aldi stores on a special order to get rid of the remainder of the stock they had imported, but apart from that they won't be importing it any more. So if you check your local Aldi, you may find the last of the imported stuff in the country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.