Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some realities of Perth.

Some realities of Perth.

Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some realities of Perth.

Originally Posted by m100
Think you should try posting on the MBTUK forum, you might get more support there!!
Its about Perth, WA, which wasn't in the UK last time I looked
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you have found it not what you like!

However I am not in the UK at the moment. My city has lots of different things, they too drive like nutters. You see so many small crashes its unbelievable.

Shopping can be a nightmare as they like to keep hold of the carrier bags. Usually its a battle of wills to get the amount you need.

The cakes are like margerine! Yuk or covered in jelly thats like the stuff you have on tins of ham!

However they do the most amazing cherry tresnove. (pastry filled with cherries).

They too have things different from the UK. But also have things I love too.

However you get used to it. Everyone needs to accept the differences. No place is perfect and no place is England!

Gems
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lang81
My wife and i have now been in Perth for 6 months and all we can think about is when we can get out of it. Unfortunately we are in the process of building a house so we will be here for another year at least !!!! ( jumped into the market to quick ).

I am not writing this to scare people off from Perth however if you are in the UK and are dreaming of coming here then you may like to know of some of the harsh realities of life here.

First of all i would like to point out that most of the shops are closed on Sundays. There are many big shopping centres here and none are doing business on Sundays !!! Yes the city is open but the stores there are crap compared to the UK and it is so small. It may sound trivial but when you have come from a place where Sunday shopping is quite normal it is bloody hard to get your head around. Apparently WA is the only state in OZ where this happens ?

Lots of people walk about in their bare feet !!!! Let me tell you that this is weird to see when you are working in a University (like i am) and you see people walking to classes with no shoes ! Am i the only one who finds this disgusting ????

The freeways are just as busy as the roads were in Glasgow, so don't think that driving here is a pleasure, in fact it is one of the most frustrating things about Perth.
The people here just don't know how to drive. Drivers will sit at 90 ks in the outside lane and they don't move over for anyone so they overtake down the inside lane. It is real life wacky races.
They also love doing burnouts in their V8s. We live in Greenwood and it is a decent suburb however it seems to be the burnout capital of Perth.
Drivers here have no curtesy either. You will sit at a junction for ever and no one will let you out, they don't flash their lights here (to let you in /out at junctions) and a friendly wave of thanks is non existent.

The nearest pub is always miles away and the drink is expensive. $8 a pint in the Greenwood is considered good and $10 is normal in other bars.I have paid $15 for drink in Subiaco ! Getting a taxi from the city or Northbridge is almost impossible. There are no private taxi companies here so they are sparse to say the least. Never mind, you could always have a few pints then drive home. Drink driving here is rife, worse than Scotland.

The cost of living (for us) is roughly the same as it was in Scotland. House rental prices are high as are house prices, fruit and veg is pretty expensive, bills etc are similar to what we were used to. We got a bill from the water board for $84 for 2 months water at our plot of land !!!!!!!!!! It is just a big plot of dirt and have never seen any water in my time there ????
The one big difference though is the cost of petrol, much cheaper than UK prices, although it is going up all the time. It was $1.06 in December and it is now hitting $1.32 in some garages.

Banks are worse here than in the UK. You get charged for having an account with the banks ($5 a month) and if you use atm's make sure it is your own banks that you use, you get charged for using other atm's.
They don't hold any large amounts of cash either which made life difficult for us when we tried to buy a car. We went to the local branch to withdraw $7000 and were told that we would not be able to get this amount from the one branch, so we had to go to 2 banks to get this money out !!!

Internet connection is as slow as a week in the jail. Broadband is miles behind the UK and is such a problem that it features highly in the political stakes.

The topic is Perth and its isolation hits home when you get here too. I thought about a weekend in Sydney recently and it is $300 one way. Instead we chose to drive to Margaret River, one of WA's premier holiday destinations. We walked the length of the town in 10 minutes and had a drink in one of the 2 bars there. Not much happening there, except for wineries.
There are also a shortage of building materials which causes delays in house building.

The good things about Perth are it's beaches and weather, although it is raining heavy as i write this.

I know everyone will not agree with this thread , but these are only our thoughts and experiences of Perth.

Oh and if any of you guys are joiners / carpenters then be warned, they use gyproc over 5 metres long here !!!!!!!

Hopefully the one thing I wont miss about Glasgow is going shopping on a Sunday and to be honest with you neither will my wife.

I'm sorry to hear that you arent enjoying it, I myself is from Glasgow and I really am hoping that i will settle into the Perth lifestyle.

Maybe people walking about barefoot annoys you but hey ho, you are in another country and sometimes you need to accept their way of life. It's part of the Perth experience.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Gordon
Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

toan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to all

My wife and i have now been in Perth for 6 months and all we can think about is when we can get out of it. Unfortunately we are in the process of building a house so we will be here for another year at least !!!! ( jumped into the market to quick ).

I am not writing this to scare people off from Perth however if you are in the UK and are dreaming of coming here then you may like to know of some of the harsh realities of life here.

First of all i would like to point out that most of the shops are closed on Sundays. There are many big shopping centres here and none are doing business on Sundays !!! Yes the city is open but the stores there are crap compared to the UK and it is so small. It may sound trivial but when you have come from a place where Sunday shopping is quite normal it is bloody hard to get your head around. Apparently WA is the only state in OZ where this happens ?

Lots of people walk about in their bare feet !!!! Let me tell you that this is weird to see when you are working in a University (like i am) and you see people walking to classes with no shoes ! Am i the only one who finds this disgusting ????

The freeways are just as busy as the roads were in Glasgow, so don't think that driving here is a pleasure, in fact it is one of the most frustrating things about Perth.
The people here just don't know how to drive. Drivers will sit at 90 ks in the outside lane and they don't move over for anyone so they overtake down the inside lane. It is real life wacky races.
They also love doing burnouts in their V8s. We live in Greenwood and it is a decent suburb however it seems to be the burnout capital of Perth.
Drivers here have no curtesy either. You will sit at a junction for ever and no one will let you out, they don't flash their lights here (to let you in /out at junctions) and a friendly wave of thanks is non existent.

The nearest pub is always miles away and the drink is expensive. $8 a pint in the Greenwood is considered good and $10 is normal in other bars.I have paid $15 for drink in Subiaco ! Getting a taxi from the city or Northbridge is almost impossible. There are no private taxi companies here so they are sparse to say the least. Never mind, you could always have a few pints then drive home. Drink driving here is rife, worse than Scotland.

The cost of living (for us) is roughly the same as it was in Scotland. House rental prices are high as are house prices, fruit and veg is pretty expensive, bills etc are similar to what we were used to. We got a bill from the water board for $84 for 2 months water at our plot of land !!!!!!!!!! It is just a big plot of dirt and have never seen any water in my time there ????
The one big difference though is the cost of petrol, much cheaper than UK prices, although it is going up all the time. It was $1.06 in December and it is now hitting $1.32 in some garages.

Banks are worse here than in the UK. You get charged for having an account with the banks ($5 a month) and if you use atm's make sure it is your own banks that you use, you get charged for using other atm's.
They don't hold any large amounts of cash either which made life difficult for us when we tried to buy a car. We went to the local branch to withdraw $7000 and were told that we would not be able to get this amount from the one branch, so we had to go to 2 banks to get this money out !!!

Internet connection is as slow as a week in the jail. Broadband is miles behind the UK and is such a problem that it features highly in the political stakes.

The topic is Perth and its isolation hits home when you get here too. I thought about a weekend in Sydney recently and it is $300 one way. Instead we chose to drive to Margaret River, one of WA's premier holiday destinations. We walked the length of the town in 10 minutes and had a drink in one of the 2 bars there. Not much happening there, except for wineries.
There are also a shortage of building materials which causes delays in house building.

The good things about Perth are it's beaches and weather, although it is raining heavy as i write this.

I know everyone will not agree with this thread , but these are only our thoughts and experiences of Perth.

Oh and if any of you guys are joiners / carpenters then be warned, they use gyproc over 5 metres long here !!!!!!!
if everyone liked the same things the world would be a bore,just because one thing is bad for some,others feel different,opinions make the world go round!

at least you experienced it,better than thinking what if?

hope whatever you decide to do brings you happyness

take care
Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:20 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

I like to get a balanced view of everything and from a research point of view this thread has been a interesting read.

Great post, great discussion.

Thanks,
Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously perth wasn't for you... personally I can't wait to abandon sunday shopping... and have long lazy family days... my idea of heaven.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

toan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eddie007
Obviously perth wasn't for you... personally I can't wait to abandon sunday shopping... and have long lazy family days... my idea of heaven.
here here,
back to sundays day of rest,
just perfect
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating stuff. There are other threads about expats who have lost their jobs/can't get a job, are pining over family and friends back in the UK, or can't find somewhere to live that they can afford. I call that pretty basic compared with shopping on Sundays and walking around in bare feet. The traffic sounds about the same, you have a job and are building your very own house. Not bad in 6 months I would say. Is it bad you can't pop round the local boozer in 5 minutes like you could in Scotland? You could have built or bought a house nearer a drinking place or was that not on your agenda at the time? There seem to be so many things amiss that I do why you went to Perth in the first place- presumably a huge amount of research- so what went wrong?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gems
Sorry you have found it not what you like!

However I am not in the UK at the moment. My city has lots of different things, they too drive like nutters. You see so many small crashes its unbelievable.

Shopping can be a nightmare as they like to keep hold of the carrier bags. Usually its a battle of wills to get the amount you need.

The cakes are like margerine! Yuk or covered in jelly thats like the stuff you have on tins of ham!

However they do the most amazing cherry tresnove. (pastry filled with cherries).

They too have things different from the UK. But also have things I love too.

However you get used to it. Everyone needs to accept the differences. No place is perfect and no place is England!

Gems
We too see a crash most days or the aftermath!!! Anyway back to OP Each to their own I suppose, its a long way to go though to realise you have a lack of tolerance for their ways, did you not do a reccie? We live in Spain and hope to be in Brisbane by October and from what you are saying it sounds pretty much the same country, although different language and they do wear shoes here. We have been living here for almost 4 years and although I found it really difficult to settle to begin with I now realise I love their relaxed mediteranean lifestyle. Shops are a definate no no on Sundays, it is simply a family day, they drive like loonies because they want to get home to their families but yes they could be a little more careful, there is no consideration for other drivers simply because they feel why should they, they do not understand all our please and thankyous' they dont know you so what!!! I have learnt to not think about materalistic things as much as I did in the UK and the same goes for my boys, maybe in time you will appreciate all that you have there and the way your fellow men are. Try and look at all the positives you have, unfortunately we are struggling with work here that's why we need to move on but however much I love the UK I still remember why we wanted to leave. We visited freinds in Perth last year and realised it wasnt for us, not because we didnt like the place, I loved the parks and sense of space, we just fancy somewhere else in OZ, maybe that's the same for you but do have a long hard think and do your comparisons again with why you left to what you have now!!! Good luck

Last edited by paulainspain; Apr 15th 2007 at 7:36 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:19 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Now I dont know if its just me, but I would have thought that anyone with half a brain would realise that Margaret River is all about wineries.

Ohh guess you could go into the caves, beaches, maybe try and do something that does involve buying material things.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter and I have just returned from a reccie/holiday in Perth. Spent 90% of the time shoe less - it was fantastic
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Vallies
I guess everyone wants different things from Perth. We love the fact that the shops are closed on Sundays - we have family time playing, eating and talking.

Carine shops (5 mins from us, and many suberbs have small shopping centres) are open 7 days till 7pm (or later) so no panic there for last minute things.

My son loves to walk barefoot (he is 9 and loves the freedoom! Erm... There are more important things I need to advise/request from him).

All in all, the space in the parks/on the beach mean that we can play without worrying other families. The social aspect (we dont drink and drive, only have sleepovers if we have too many, to save the taxi probs and help to build better/stronger friendships) is so much fun!

Our children have NEVER been fitter or happier! Sports 3 or 4 times a week, minimum, and they love it!

So, just to say, its not for everyone, but (we have been here almost a year) for us, it was the best move we ever made and we have never been happier living in this beautiful country with spectacular birds/wildlife to admire and kind aussies to support and encourage us.

Its good to look at all views, and what is good for some,, may not be good for others, that is why we are all different.

If you get the chance, you are blessed, and if it doesnt work out, then 'no worries mate', life is full of opportunities, some work and some dont, but always there is a worthwhile lesson.

God bless

Great post - karma sent
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

I think when you are feeling low, homesick or even just culture shocked little things suddenly seem so huge and important.

I don't think the OP is being picky, I think these are just the things that they have focused on. 6 months to me always seems to be around the time that reality hits in with a thump. You are thinking what have we done, is it what I expected and you do start comparing things to your old life

Another thing I found is, that it can be quite hard and take some time to learn to chill, we come from a country that is always running and we are used to that. It can take some adjusting moving to a country where 'she'll be right'!

Lang81 - maybe it is a good thing that the house is tying you there, it saves you from making any rash decisions. Give it that year and then see if the same small things are bugging you.

I can understand your frustration with some of those things, but in the grand scheme of things ...

(Just IMO)

Nikki
xx
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by toan
here here,
back to sundays day of rest,
just perfect
Aleays puzzled me this one....just because the shops are open does not mean you have to go to them! In fact probably the most common thing for people to do on Sundays is DIY and Bunnings is open from 7am til 7pm. We have just moved from Perth to Melbourne and although we spend most of our weekends out exploring it is nice to get out and about amongst the bustle and vibe of the shops on Brunswick Street or the such like if we feel like it.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:37 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Aleays puzzled me this one....just because the shops are open does not mean you have to go to them! In fact probably the most common thing for people to do on Sundays is DIY and Bunnings is open from 7am til 7pm. We have just moved from Perth to Melbourne and although we spend most of our weekends out exploring it is nice to get out and about amongst the bustle and vibe of the shops on Brunswick Street or the such like if we feel like it.

Sure people dont have to shop if the shops are open, but people have to work at the shops if they are open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.