Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some realities of Perth.

Some realities of Perth.

Old May 14th 2007, 7:12 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of
Default Re: Some realities of Perth.

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Methinks there are more than 1 in 10 people that dislike the place. I have met many. I think you are being a little economical with the truth there. I think the fact that 1.5 million people live here makes it all the more unbelievable how poor shopping etc is. Why should people change their opinion with time. OK they grin and bare but dont like it. As was pointed out already all of the other states have more logical shopping hours.
One thing that never stops me from chuckling is when people talk about the bad things about Perth and then go on about how it is related to the relaxed lifestyle. Has political correctness gone to the stage that rather than call a place boring we call it relaxed. The 1.5 million people of Perth are not the norm in Australia (and most of the western world for that matter).
I can't believe you're actually trying to speak on behalf of 1.5 million people

You don't need to try to justify things to yourself....just go and live somewhere else and stop worrying about it....
Old May 14th 2007, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
If you need a hand to pack when leaving give me a shout, we would be more than glad to help you out of the country. Your small minded attitude to some of the trivial things in life is alarming, I think its bloody great that shops are shut on a Sunday, how disorganised do you have to be to not find time on the other 6 days? Life means different things to different people, speaking for myself, a perfect Sunday would be at one of the parks with my wife and two children enjoying a few games and a drink or two, accompanied by a good bunch of friends and their children (some of whom may even have the ordacity to be barefoot) I am pretty sure all the guys who work in shops appreciate the fact they can guarantee at least one day off too, or dont you care about them.

How strange that the only thing you found at Margaret River was wineries.......what were you expecting to find archaeological digs, or theme parks, its a wine region for goodness sake. I also find it fantastic that there isnt a pub on every corner, many times I saw adults sat with their children in theUK, in pubs getting bladdered whilst the poor children were given a piece of paper to colour on to keep them quiet.

Close the door behind you on the way out mate, and next time you are thinking of emigrating, do some research first.
That is typical of the harsh comments that I would expect from a typical pro -Perth person. Surely he is entitled to his opinion - no? The point about it being difficult to find shopping time the other 6 days days is not about being disorganised - some people work during the week - some even work 6 day weeks - including Saturdays. So that argument about shops being shut on a Sunday is an enirely valid and understandable one. BTW just because shops are open 7 days a week doesn't necessarily mean that the same people will be working for the 7 days. There is a thing called shift work - maybe you should try googling it.
As for research I am sure that if you do research on Australia you will find that there are huge differences between the different cities. So perhaps the poster did a lot of research on Australia and found that there was plenty of shoppip etc... - only to come to Perth and find a ghost town. You know yourself how well places can be marketed from afar. i have even heard people from Perth - born and bred criticising the place.

In conclusion, life means different things to different people (as you said yourself) - perhaps you should be a little more tolerant of other peolples opinions too.
Old May 14th 2007, 7:48 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Methinks there are more than 1 in 10 people that dislike the place. I have met many. I think you are being a little economical with the truth there. I think the fact that 1.5 million people live here makes it all the more unbelievable how poor shopping etc is. Why should people change their opinion with time. OK they grin and bare but dont like it. As was pointed out already all of the other states have more logical shopping hours.
One thing that never stops me from chuckling is when people talk about the bad things about Perth and then go on about how it is related to the relaxed lifestyle. Has political correctness gone to the stage that rather than call a place boring we call it relaxed. The 1.5 million people of Perth are not the norm in Australia (and most of the western world for that matter).
Why is it so hard for you to understand / believe that many of us do not want to live in a buzzing metropolis??? Lots of left the UK to get away from that sort of hustle and bustle. We chose Perth deliberately because it is not as busy as Sydney, Melbourne etc.

Maybe you want somewhere that is open 24/7. We don't. If this doesn't suit you then you are in the priveleged position that you can bugger off to anywhere else in two countries.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:00 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

That is typical of the harsh comments that I would expect from a typical pro -Perth person. Surely he is entitled to his opinion - no? The point about it being difficult to find shopping time the other 6 days days is not about being disorganised - some people work during the week - some even work 6 day weeks - including Saturdays. So that argument about shops being shut on a Sunday is an enirely valid and understandable one. BTW just because shops are open 7 days a week doesn't necessarily mean that the same people will be working for the 7 days. There is a thing called shift work - maybe you should try googling it.
As for research I am sure that if you do research on Australia you will find that there are huge differences between the different cities. So perhaps the poster did a lot of research on Australia and found that there was plenty of shoppip etc... - only to come to Perth and find a ghost town. You know yourself how well places can be marketed from afar. i have even heard people from Perth - born and bred criticising the place.

In conclusion, life means different things to different people (as you said yourself) - perhaps you should be a little more tolerant of other peolples opinions too.
I can't understand why people say the shops are shut on a Sunday - you'll find the high street stores open in the CBD and plenty of IGA's for food shopping - so what's the problem?
I for one, if my only day off was a Sunday, would not be spending it shopping for tins of beans etc, I'd be out be with my family and friends, enjoying my day off
Old May 14th 2007, 8:02 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
I can't understand why people say the shops are shut on a Sunday - you'll find the high street stores open in the CBD and plenty of IGA's for food shopping - so what's the problem?
I for one, if my only day off was a Sunday, would not be spending it shopping for tins of beans etc, I'd be out be with my family and friends, enjoying my day off
tins of beans!! You lucky mare
Old May 14th 2007, 8:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

First thread I read tonight and its full of insults. Well you can all go play somewhere else, and consider the fact that its quite possible to have opposing views on a place without insulting the people that hold those views.

Move along, nothing left to see here.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 14th 2007 at 8:19 am.