Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Cheers for this. Really good to get an idea of how much it might all cost.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:59 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

We have shipped the little bits and pieces, came to 420sq ft, original qoute was for 350.
Cost 2300 pounds plus 300 pounds insurance.
Been doing some rough estimates and reckon on less then $10k to replace furniture, white goods etc.
If you are not set on exactly what you want and are prepared to buy whats on SALE I think $10k will be plenty.

Once we find a rental I will furnish it and post the costs.

Kevin
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Hi

This is a very useful post, should help lots of people making their minds up in what to bring

K
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:49 pm
Springbok

Springbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to all

Hi There........

All I have to say is this, posts should be like this one, informative. Thanks for you efforts. Given us a great idea of what set up costs will be.

Cheers

P.S. No whinging here.......................
Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Comments on Vash's post - if you had kids,, you;d probably want two TVs
We have only one child, and we NEED 3 TV's ! Although we actually have 4 !! Well... i'm not lugging a TV around when I change rooms

Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We have only one child, and we NEED 3 TV's ! Although we actually have 4 !! Well... i'm not lugging a TV around when I change rooms
And a leather couch, is a lot easier and lasts longer with kids.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I'm sure you could spend less and that what everyone else needs is different to our requirements, but it gives you an idea of the costs involved in everything. The leather suite I mentioned was $1500 - very nice too - two settees (one 3 person, one 2 person) and a leather armchair - far and away the comfiest we 'tested'. Our furniture pricing was based on the houses we've seen so far - it didn't include a child's bed because we already have one so you'll have to factor that in - but they do some very funky ones. With regard knick-knacks, bed linen, pictures, kid's toys, PCs etc - we're bringing that with us - but we've decided to use Excess Baggage and not go the 'crate' route.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:31 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Originally Posted by Hutch
The leather suite I mentioned was $1500 - very nice too - two settees (one 3 person, one 2 person) and a leather armchair - far and away the comfiest we 'tested'.
Hey, that's a jolly good price. Do you mind if I ask what the brand is, and where you bought it?
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Hey, that's a jolly good price. Do you mind if I ask what the brand is, and where you bought it?
Didn't buy - just priced. It was in the main Harvey Norman's - not the homestarter one.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Didn't buy - just priced. It was in the main Harvey Norman's - not the homestarter one.
Fantastic thread Hutch. Its much appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Ah...
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Right. Today we had a lovely afternoon traipsing round Harvey Norman and the Good Guys and Fantastic Furniture and various other shops so we could do our sums. We don't have too much furniture in blightly and we wanted to find out whether it was worth bothering with containers and things. So, armed with my calculator, I totted up the vast majority of electrical items that we'd need. Most of the items I chose were in the middle of the range - some towards the higher end, none at the top end, nothing on sale, only list prices used.

Bearing in mind that I'm doing this from memory, I costed in The Good Guys:
Combi Microwave Oven (v.good Sharp one)
Kettle
Toaster
George Foreman Grill
Blender (hand held)
Blender (table top)
Clock Radio
Iron (wilfa steam job)
Coffee Machine (espresso job)
Triple Dect Phone (Panasonic)
DVD Player
TV (21" tube)
TV (80cm LG LCD)
5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
Midi Hi-Fi
Dishwasher (large place setting)
Tumble Dryer
Front-loading washing machine
Vacuum Cleaner (Dyson)
Large US Style Fridge Freezer (LG)
All of which came to a little over $7000 (or a smidge under 3 grand in your English money). I then repeated the exercise over at Harvey Normal, choosing as similar items as possible and it came to just under $8000 (or 3400 of your English pounds).

Meanwhile, the missus wandered around the furniture stores and costed everything else up (most solid wood and very nice stuff). Bear in mind that this was all very nice stuff in the main Harvey Norman store, not the cheapo Homestarter one:
A bookcase
Double Bed
2 bedside tables
dressing table
bedroom cupboard
mattress
dining room table and chairs (six)
coffee table
dresser
living room sideboard table type thing
TV unit
garden furniture suite
sofa and armchair (leather)
All of which came to $13764 (or 5847 of your English pounds).

So - gives you a rough idea of the costs involved. The missus points out there's no way on earth you'd get the lovely leather sofa suite she saw today for that money unless it was in some super-knocked-down-sale jobbie. Also bear in mind - if you were buying that amount of stuff - that you'd have some very hefty negotiating oomph and that none of these prices reflect items on 'sale' or indeed any reduction you'd get for paying cash.

Thanks hutch, great post.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Yeah great post very useful indeed k sent!

Lindsey
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, very useful, actually helped me make the decision about definitely shipping our own stuff

Lisa.x
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
Thanks, very useful, actually helped me make the decision about definitely shipping our own stuff

Lisa.x
Yep, excellent post. Still undecided what to do tho. The Mrs wants to take the sofa, armchair and bed. I'm not sure. Washing machine, dishwasher and TVs are due to be replaced anyway so I guess we'll buy new out there (if we get there). So is it worth shipping out 'just' the seating and bed, maybe the dining table and six chairs too?

Plus the 'other' stuff...books, tools, PCs (definite), CDs and DVDs plus misc personal gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.