Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:39 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Originally Posted by spartacus
We had a consultant around, probably a year ago, quoting us on installing a photovoltaic system. According to him, this system was the absolute bees knees . . . German technology, long life cells, highest yeild per panel yadda yadda . . . but he was after $16000, so pay back was something like fifteen years.

It's all way too murky. Prices are hidden, and costs seem to vary enormously with system type, as does longevity and power generated. The rebate system is convoluted and difficult to understand. There doesn't seem to be any long term guarantee that, when you sell electricity back to the grid, you'll continue to do so at whatever the price multiple is now (might be x2 can't remember). For the amount we spend on electricity (about $1200 a year) its currently just not worth the expenditure.
It's worth getting someone around again regularly to requote as the whole rebate is essentially a share market. The RECs, which is what determines the rebate fluctuate and are basically shares that are traded. For instance, at the moment a single REC is $31, but next week they could be $40. There is currently a federal govt iniative to guarantee $40 RECs, however it will be a while before any decision is made on this. You will also find that since you got your quote that money would get you a much larger system and therefore the payback period would be more down to around the 7-8 years now.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:43 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
How easy would that be to do? Very.

Why hasn't anyone done it before? Possibly because the outlay versus savings don't add up? . . .

I know a fair few people who spend more than $1000 a quarter on electricity. They are thinking about getting solar installed, when they may be better off just switching off two of their three fridge freezers.
Well that too. You certainly become more aware of your usage when you really get into the thick of all this. The company I have just joined has set up display homes, however they are customer homes so only available for inspection upon appointment.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:45 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I would have been looking for some form of online calculator that allows me to enter the details that are specific to my house and electricity usage, and then calculates things like annual saving, the potential resale value of the electricity I am generating, and the total payback time in years.

S
If you want I can point you towards such a thing. Just PM me if you are interested
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:47 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by asprilla

How much would a 6.120kW system cost to install I wonder.
Approx $20k after rebates

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Sep 10th 2010 at 8:50 am.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:01 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I do know that after rebates my cost is $1,950, and I am pretty sure it will pay for itself within 5 years, but I want a written confirmation, so I can sue them later on if it doesn't.
Not many companies will take up that challenge simply because they are at the mercy of what the Electricity Companies will pay for the feed in tariff. If you base it solely on what you save on electricity charges over the life instead, then you can simply look at the income generated from the electricity company as a bonus.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:04 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Wol
The first one says:
>> Watts are related to the output of each panel; meaning a 100Watt panel under ideal conditions will generate 100 Watts of electricity each hour and a 200 Watt panel will generate 200 Watts each hour<<

I *think* I know what they mean, but it doesn't give a great deal of confidence that they don't seem to know the difference between energy and power!

I have doubts about the claims being made for the present generation (pun?) of PV/inverter systems. Nevertheless I am genuinely interested in the technology and would be intrigued to follow people's experiences with it.
Our company, for instance offers a 25 year performance warranty that states that after 10 years the system will operate at least 90% and 80% after 20 years. So the data in those links are quite accurate.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:06 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Evelin
I'm surprised that they list all sorts of manufacturers even BP which had a lot of problems with their panels but not Suntech, the worlds largest producer of solar panels which somebody on this thread gets from Harvey Norman. Good product developed at uni NSW. The Aussie gov didn't see the potential and the founder moved to China to build the panels there. According to Forbes he is one of the richest people in China.
He is also of Chinese origin. Not really to do with not getting any love here and more to do with the lure of cheaper manufacturing conditions in China.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:08 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Interesting ruling from the ATO recently.

Anyone setting up solar with the intention of making a profit, may be liable to tax on that profit.
If they do that though, they will also, by definition have to offer offsetting options. Ie: depreciation of hardware, interest payments being tax deductible etc.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:11 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by kelli28
It should be down to the energy providers to generate "green" electricity, not the individual.
yes, but even if they were supplying you green energy (which you currently can get from some providers btw) you would still be paying for it. By having it on your house you could be free of that bill.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:14 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by POW148
My neighbour is living in his shed whilst building his new house. He intends for his house to be the first one rated at EER9. There are coolroom panals inside every wall as insulation. He has installed 50 solar panals on his shed roof to return just under 10Kw of power back to the grid. Todate, his panals have been ready to return power but he has been waiting for over 6 weeks for the electricity company to send their inspector around to give it the all clear. The solar system cost him around the $30K to purchase and install. He is a builder and obtained the panals at a greatly reduced rate.

The question I have to ask is at what price to the environment has this building cost. We live out of town so every concrete truck has to do a round trip of 150 Kms. The amount of concrete and steel that has gone into the place is just unreal. Just what is his carbon footprint todate to enable him to say "my house is the most environment friendly house ever".

Dont get me wrong, I think what he is trying to achieve is just fantastic but sometimes you just have to wonder.

Barney
He would have built a house out of some materials anyway right? Regardless of what materials he was using. If the ones he used limit the impact his residence has on the earth over time then surely that negates your argument?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I missed this earlier, but definitely agree. Large scale investment in large scale solar furnace schemes for bulk generation are what's required here I think.

S
I'm pretty certain they have tried it in Oz, as well as the US, and they have some test furnaces in Spain now. The main problem seems to be dust on the mirrors. Even a small amount blown by the wind reduces the amount of heat they reflect on the towers.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coryate
I'm pretty certain they have tried it in Oz, as well as the US, and they have some test furnaces in Spain now. The main problem seems to be dust on the mirrors. Even a small amount blown by the wind reduces the amount of heat they reflect on the towers.
There has been a solar furnace in the French Alps ,( Odeillo )since 1970 , built there for just as you state , the lack of dust .

None have gone past the planning stage in Oz
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:56 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Coryate
The main reason behind the Spanish failure is because the Spanish Govt have run out of money
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Javea Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Solar energy is best exloited at utility-scale level. Capital costs are only part of the picture: ongoing maintenance and replacement costs need to be factored in too, and economies of scale tend to militate against domestic-scale energy solutions.