Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:41 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Originally Posted by spartacus
How easy would that be to do? Very.

Why hasn't anyone done it before? Possibly because the outlay versus savings don't add up? . . .

I know a fair few people who spend more than $1000 a quarter on electricity. They are thinking about getting solar installed, when they may be better off just switching off two of their three fridge freezers.
That's just crazy talk!!!

Where would we, er, I mean they, put the beer and wine?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:48 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
you have the choice either buy a solar system that costs you x amount of dollars and save x amounts of dollars on your energy bill or you don't buy it and put your money in the bank and earn interest.

In the case of spending $8k for a 4kW system, your max return in WA when your house is facing true north, perfect roof angle, no shade and solar panels that has a high efficiency rate (eg Sunpower) you could earn between $1400 + $3200 per year depending on your own usage.

Alternatively, how much would earn if you deposited the $8k in an saving account/term deposit? You make more money with solar panels that's why Germans have large solar systems on their roof. It is viable.
ok I can kind of see your reasoning here (and KJCherokee too).

re: the scenario you describe above.... returns via bank interest, vs returns from solar energy.....Did the company that supplied your solar power, use this kind of example when explaining things to you?

The reason I ask, is that I can probably get a return of 6.3% from my bank. But if someone came along and told me that I could invest $10k in solar technology and I'd get a return of 7% - I would pass.

cheers
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

re: the scenario you describe above.... returns via bank interest, vs returns from solar energy.....Did the company that supplied your solar power, use this kind of example when explaining things to you?

The reason I ask, is that I can probably get a return of 6.3% from my bank. But if someone came along and told me that I could invest $10k in solar technology and I'd get a return of 7% - I would pass.

cheers
We are seriously considering it and have had a quote from Harvey Norman who are offering 1.5kw (8 panels) for $2995 + $500 grid connection fee (after rebates). Energy Aust pay 66c per kw and they estimate an average income of $1300 on this size. propably no quite enough for what we need but a good enough chunk to make it more than attractive. 10 year guarantee on product. 1/3rd upfront and the rest on interest free makes in even more attractive. Other sizes available. We are also blessed cause the side of the roof we will use has sun on it alllllll day long.

Jo
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

cheers
I'll send you a PM.
It is rather simple. It all depends on all the factors explained above, how efficient your panels are etc. It depends on the quality of the panels, the inverter. I must admit, in Australia information for solar systems is limited I get my information from German internet sites.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joho
We are seriously considering it and have had a quote from Harvey Norman who are offering 1.5kw (8 panels) for $2995 + $500 grid connection fee (after rebates). Energy Aust pay 66c per kw and they estimate an average income of $1300 on this size. propably no quite enough for what we need but a good enough chunk to make it more than attractive. 10 year guarantee on product. 1/3rd upfront and the rest on interest free makes in even more attractive. Other sizes available. We are also blessed cause the side of the roof we will use has sun on it alllllll day long.

Jo
the number ($1300) sounds correct. I think they are using Suntech panels which are a good product initially invented in Australia.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

I think if you could provide a potential customer with an example scenario, that might be useful... for example.

a) total current electricity usage in the house.
b) space available for solar panels, and max potential m2 solar panels that could be fitted on roof.
c) amount of energy that the solar panels would be generating on a sunny day, and on a cloudy day.
d) estimate of total energy being generated per year.... subtract this from (a) to work out potential savings.

Then I guess you could give the full costs of the product, and it would be up to the individual to determine whether or not it is a good investment.

Something like that anyway. good luck !
I am considering this myself at the moment, and I think I am in the position of wanting someone to come round and confirm things.

Your points are exactly what I am wanting to confirm.

I do know that after rebates my cost is $1,950, and I am pretty sure it will pay for itself within 5 years, but I want a written confirmation, so I can sue them later on if it doesn't.

Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho

Jo
Umina Postcode 2257
Closest Postcode 2259
http://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=170&sid=159

$500 grid connection fee
Is this with a smart meter or just as is
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
I'll send you a PM.
It is rather simple. It all depends on all the factors explained above, how efficient your panels are etc. It depends on the quality of the panels, the inverter. I must admit, in Australia information for solar systems is limited I get my information from German internet sites.
Plenty of informed opinion :

http://www.energymatters.com.au/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/138?g=223

http://www.dkasolarcentre.com.au/
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:29 am
ABCDiamond

any idea what the Qld limit is? If I can spend $130k and then get back $23k per annum, I'm sure I'm not the only person around here who is interested...

Knowing my luck I'd install it, then we'd have 2 years of cloudy, rainy days...
It could be worse....
2 years of cloudy, rainy days then the buy back scheme is cancelled when the sun returns.
or
2 years of solid 100% sunny days, but the buy back scheme is cancelled the day after you sign up !

Forget the cents per Kwh electricity buy back when calculating the cost efficiency !

These could be cancelled at any time. Treat it as a bonus if anything, but DO NOT rely on it.

Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The first one says:
>> Watts are related to the output of each panel; meaning a 100Watt panel under ideal conditions will generate 100 Watts of electricity each hour and a 200 Watt panel will generate 200 Watts each hour<<

I *think* I know what they mean, but it doesn't give a great deal of confidence that they don't seem to know the difference between energy and power!

I have doubts about the claims being made for the present generation (pun?) of PV/inverter systems. Nevertheless I am genuinely interested in the technology and would be intrigued to follow people's experiences with it.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
The first one says:
>> Watts are related to the output of each panel; meaning a 100Watt panel under ideal conditions will generate 100 Watts of electricity each hour and a 200 Watt panel will generate 200 Watts each hour<<
Under ideal conditions (in a laboratory 25c but panel kept cool this is right )
in real life 60% to75% is what is achieved.
On a cold day with cloud I have seen my 190w panels spike at 206w when the sun pops out.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:13 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

This forum tends to have lots of the benefits , problems, cowboys etc

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/138
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulben
I'm surprised that they list all sorts of manufacturers even BP which had a lot of problems with their panels but not Suntech, the worlds largest producer of solar panels which somebody on this thread gets from Harvey Norman. Good product developed at uni NSW. The Aussie gov didn't see the potential and the founder moved to China to build the panels there. According to Forbes he is one of the richest people in China.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an interesting concept:

http://www.greenraysolar.com/

It seems to be a start-up company, offering modules of PV panels each with its own inverter system so that you can just scale the output easily to your own requirements.

It's in the US, of course.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
This forum tends to have lots of the benefits , problems, cowboys etc

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/138
We had a 4.00kw system put in last week (22 panels) and found our provider from this website. Yes there are a lot of cowboys out there, but this guy had no end of praise and everyone who has used him have been totally satisfied, including ourselves. Total coast was $12,290 which included RECS rebates, so not cheap, but we could potentially sell up to $10 a day back to the grid.

If theres anyone in the gold coast/brisbane area thinking of having it done, I can put you in touch with this bloke if you like. He's a really nice chap, down to earth and won't rip you off and all the components, meters, etc, he uses are top notch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.