Reload this Page >

Social Work in Australia

Social Work in Australia

Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Fheyizsmart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Work in Australia

Originally Posted by Amber2019
Hi, I have just submitted my AASW application which had started being processed as of 20th December. I also have a post-grad diploma & was asked to complete the professional statement, so fingers crossed. Due not to hear results now until beginning of May, ages away. Will keep you posted!
Please do I need to send the IQA form to my institution or I can singlehandedly fill it provided I have all the required information? Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

SWHarry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I am a newly qualified Social Worker from the UK and am planning on flying out to Sydney towards the end of April with my girlfriend - she is Australian and we met in the UK while she was over on a Working Holiday Visa.

My current plan is to submit my AASW application by the end of this month and I hope to hear back from the AASW around 2 months after I arrive. I will be flying out on a Working Holiday Visa and would ideally like to work in a SW or SW related job while on my WH visa but understand this might be tricky with the visa I'm on due to the 6 month employment resitriction - even if I am eligible to apply for AASW membership.

Because of this I am keen to apply for a longer term visa as soon as I can but am unsure about whether it would be best to apply for a skilled visa or partner visa? My understanding is that once I have applied for a partner visa, the 6 month employment will cease once my WH holiday visa has expired. However, as mentioned above, my worry is that I might not be able to find relevant work until the WH visa has expired.

As I would have already completed an assessment with the AASW I am wondering if it would be best for me to apply for a skilled visa instead? My thinking is that it may be processed more quickly than the partner visa and won't have travel restrictions in place which you have while waiting for the partner visa to be approved.

As a newly qualified SW I have under 3 years post qualifying experience, so would sit the IELTS exam to obtain the extra points. If I was to apply for the skilled visa, I am also wondering if it would be best / advisable for me to complete the IELTS exam while in the UK or whether I could complete the exam when I arrive in Aus?

I was also considering whether to apply for a 3 month tourist visa instead of the WH visa, and applying for a longer term visa upon arrival (such as the partner visa) but do not think this would be appropriate as I understand this is purely for a holiday and my assessment with the AASW may contravene the conditions of the visa. Has anybody had a similar situation?

Apologies for all the questions but would be really grateful for any advice / suggestions!

Thank you :-)

Last edited by SWHarry; Jan 20th 2018 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Amber2019 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fheyizsmart
Please do I need to send the IQA form to my institution or I can singlehandedly fill it provided I have all the required information? Thanks
Your university will need to complete it
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Hi, I have just submitted my AASW application which had started being processed as of 20th December. I also have a post-grad diploma & was asked to complete the professional statement, so fingers crossed. Due not to hear results now until beginning of May, ages away. Will keep you posted!
Hi Amber, I am about to submit my application to the AASW but had a quick question about what evidence you used to demonstrate profieciency of English? I have a letter from my school where I completed my A Levels + copies of my A Levels, as well evidence from my university but not sure whether I need to include a letter from my other school where I completed GCSEs + show these certificates? Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SWHarry
Hi Amber, I am about to submit my application to the AASW but had a quick question about what evidence you used to demonstrate profieciency of English? I have a letter from my school where I completed my A Levels + copies of my A Levels, as well evidence from my university but not sure whether I need to include a letter from my other school where I completed GCSEs + show these certificates? Thanks for your help!
Hi, they were happy with either copy of GCSE certificates I believe ( although I had misplaced mine..) so then were happy to have a letter from my high school stating GCSEs were all taught in English. It was later in my application when they asked me for this, so I was then able to have an email confirmation from the school admin dept. sent directly to AASW to save further delay.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi, they were happy with either copy of GCSE certificates I believe ( although I had misplaced mine..) so then were happy to have a letter from my high school stating GCSEs were all taught in English. It was later in my application when they asked me for this, so I was then able to have an email confirmation from the school admin dept. sent directly to AASW to save further delay.
Hi Amber, thanks for your response. Do you mean they were happy with either certificates or a letter from your school? I thought I'd misplaced my GCSEs too but just found them - phew! Did you send copies of your A levels too? I think I have all my documentation now apart from the IQA which I am expecting back from university next week...looking forward to finally getting the ball rolling!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi Amber, thanks for your response. Do you mean they were happy with either certificates or a letter from your school? I thought I'd misplaced my GCSEs too but just found them - phew! Did you send copies of your A levels too? I think I have all my documentation now apart from the IQA which I am expecting back from university next week...looking forward to finally getting the ball rolling!
I think certificates are enough of your GCSEs and A-Levels to confirm. That said, it took 3 months from me sending initial stuff through for them to be satisfied they had evrything they wanted - kept moving goalposts i.e. adding to what they had requested in application form which was annoying. Along with overlooking things I had already sent. Had a really ditzy caseworker on it at first, and a midnight telephone call to try to sort it all out cost a fortune. Almost lost the will to live. Applying for Canadian evaluation was heaps simpler. Good luck!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little astounded there are so many people coming in as Social Workers to Australia. My partner was a former Social Worker, with loads of experience in the area and found it to her advantage to move into a different area after a few years in Australia.

There are definitely not the range of Social Work available in Europe and UK here. Many are obliged to work for agencies with very mixed results. Outside of hospitals and Child Protection there didn't prove to be much actually in the Social Work field, many work as councillors. It is sort of interchangeable with Social Workers along with other disciplines engaged in the area. A bit of a revolving door in comings and goings and management changes, new brooms so to speak , not always to employee favourable ....but won't go into that.

Just to let you know the area appears to differ from the British model where they have more options, but the pay is better in Australia, if that is primary concern. One can always move onto other areas overtime, if so wishing but competition is high.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys,

Any advice from those who took the IELTS test? I was wondering what test you will need to book yourself in for - and what prep you did for the test?

Thanks!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 7:26 am
Just Joined

I think certificates are enough of your GCSEs and A-Levels to confirm. That said, it took 3 months from me sending initial stuff through for them to be satisfied they had evrything they wanted - kept moving goalposts i.e. adding to what they had requested in application form which was annoying. Along with overlooking things I had already sent. Had a really ditzy caseworker on it at first, and a midnight telephone call to try to sort it all out cost a fortune. Almost lost the will to live. Applying for Canadian evaluation was heaps simpler. Good luck!
Hi Amber - me again! I was wondering who you got to certificate your documents? Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi Amber - me again! I was wondering who you got to certificate your documents? Thanks
Hi Harry, i am fortunate as I have access to a legal service with my job, who signed all my docs off for free. I guess that all other solicitors would charge but unsure of prices. Can’t remember if you can have anybody else certify eg. senior professional (Consultant) ...it seems along time ago I got this all done. It should say on the form. Good luck!
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi Harry, i am fortunate as I have access to a legal service with my job, who signed all my docs off for free. I guess that all other solicitors would charge but unsure of prices. Can’t remember if you can have anybody else certify eg. senior professional (Consultant) ...it seems along time ago I got this all done. It should say on the form. Good luck!
Thanks Amber, I managed to use a solicitor who works in my office so have now got that sorted and didn't have to pay! Now planning on sitting the IELTS test!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 5:16 am
Just Joined

wts91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

I've been trawling through forums trying to take pieces of peoples experiences and answers to try and get info on my query. But I guess the best thing to do is ask

Some brief background info on myself

27 years old from the UK, currently in Oz on a WHV which expires in December. I have a bachelors in law and I am interested in studying a Masters of Social work at an Oz university as a hopeful pathway to PR after having a graduate visa. I'm well aware of the international fees.

So my questions which I hope you wonderful people can answer are as followed.

Does an individual with a Masters from an Australian university applying on shore for a 189 visa require 3 years post qualification work experience? or could I apply after hopefully gaining 18 months - 2 years experience or even as as a newly qualified Social worker?

Would I need to to apply before the end of the graduate visa to avoid having to leave while waiting for an invitation to apply for a 189 visa or would a bridging visa be provided in this case? If not, how long before the end of the grad visa would you guys recommend submitting an EOI?

thanks in advance
Old Apr 12th 2018, 11:53 am
Just Joined

DanielleH21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Social Work in Australia

Hi All

I am a Social Worker in the UK. I work in the children and families sector - predominantly Child protection. I am in the process of researching various visas to move to Australia, as soon as possible really!

Does anyone have any tips or advice? Anything would be helpful really.

I initially looked at the working holiday visa but was advised the skilled migration visa may be better for me as I could obtain around 70-75 points.

I also considered looking at sponorships but knew little information about this.

I suppose the information I'm after is more about what are the jobs like in Australia? Is there a demand for SW? Is there any particular places where it is easier to get a job. I have noticed that a lot of the jobs seem health related and link in with counselling and psychology.

Thanks in advance for any replies or info shared. Sorry for blabbering !
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

DanielleH21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sab1769
Hi Jack, this is so helpful and reassuring! Thank you
I'm working for an intensive family support service- with an NGO. It's great experience as I'm having daily experience with child safety.

I am planning to do the skills assessment, Iv got my IQA form sorted. I'm a little worried about the info it asks for about placement because I no longer have contact details for the practice assessors.
I've been qualified as a social worker 6 years- 2 years in statutory CP but 4 years in a school as a safeguarding officer so I'm worried this won't count as skilled employment.
My points so far are:
Age (29)- 30 points
BA social worker- 15 points

I will sit the ENGLISH test- did you revise to get the superior points?
I need these points! I havnt booked it yet but will give myself plenty of time.

My WHV runs out in May 2018 so I'm hoping to get skills assessment and 189 sorted before then so I don't have to return home!
I think I can only get a bridging visa if Iv done the agricultural work which I havnt.

Did you get a migration expert or do it all yourself?
I know these can be quite expensive and wouldn't know where to start in finding one so im hoping to be able to get I think all done myself.

Do you do the medical/ police check after the 189 EOI has been submitted?

Are you currently in Aus?

Thanks again for the reply and good luck with the visa!
Hi,

I just wondered how you got on with your visa. I’m looking at a 189 visa now. I’m gathering the info for the AASW. The bits I’m struggling with are the transcript it wants and the info about supervisors when you were on uni placements. Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.