Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Social Work in Australia

Social Work in Australia

Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:28 am
Just Joined

swh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to all
Default Re: Social Work in Australia

Originally Posted by Jacko86
My 189 visa was granted this morning

Lodged on 29th June.

Just handed my notice in at work!

I can’t answer those questions above about the jobs but my plan is to start looking and applying in the 2 months or so prior to my arrival and see what happens. I’m in adults. I’ll keep posting in the thread about what I experience if people find it useful.
That's amazing congratulations!!! I'm pretty jealous I must say but feeling motivated now. How long would you say from start to finish has that taken?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swh48
That's amazing congratulations!!! I'm pretty jealous I must say but feeling motivated now. How long would you say from start to finish has that taken?
Thanks!

The first thing I did after doing all the research etc was sent the IQA form to my university. That was June 2016. They didn’t reply until November 2016 but I wasn’t really chasing them until November. Then it started properly in January with IELTS and skills assessment. So all in all it’s taken around a year and taken 11 months since I first paid any money for anything which was the IELTS.

The longest bit of the while process was waiting for the AASW skills assessment.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:42 am
Just Joined

swh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to all

Thanks!

The first thing I did after doing all the research etc was sent the IQA form to my university. That was June 2016. They didn’t reply until November 2016 but I wasn’t really chasing them until November. Then it started properly in January with IELTS and skills assessment. So all in all it’s taken around a year and taken 11 months since I first paid any money for anything which was the IELTS.

The longest bit of the while process was waiting for the AASW skills assessment.
Wow so almost 2 years? Okay I really need to get my skates on!!!
Old Nov 12th 2017, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Cat87 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 189 visa was granted this morning

Lodged on 29th June.

Just handed my notice in at work!

I can’t answer those questions above about the jobs but my plan is to start looking and applying in the 2 months or so prior to my arrival and see what happens. I’m in adults. I’ll keep posting in the thread about what I experience if people find it useful.
Oh wow, huge congratulations!!! You must be thrilled and very excited to start your new venture. Having done some research now into the visas I feel as if I’m in a similar boat you, so I would love to hear your updates about how your getting on.

So I have figured that my best option is the 189 visa and self fund everything, as I don’t see myself getting one of the jobs they advertise here in the UK due to my lack of post qualification experience. I think I would get my 60 points from the English test.

Do you have a link to where I can get all the relevant forms from (including the IQA)? I’ve been looking at the government website but it’s sending me round in circles for some things.

At what point did you have to pay for the visa if you don’t mind me asking?
Old Nov 12th 2017, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a good read of Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection[/url] and work out first whether you qualify for a visa.
Pointless trying to get a job is you do not fit any of the visa categories. The best to go for is the 189 which does not tie you t any employer or state.
A 457 requires sponsorship by an employer, and is temporary, but will not exist much longer, a new temporary visa comes in next year.

Very few agencies in the UK recruit for jobs like this, if you want sponsorship you are better off contacting Aus employers directly.
Thanks for link, I’ve been having a good read and am relatively confident I would be eligible for the 189 as long as I get enough points in the English test. I have a degree in English literature (and a masters in social work), and am just wondering if that will account for anything?

I’m slightly confused at how many points my masters is worth - am I right in saying 10 points?

At the moment I am thinking if Adelaide, but that could all change over the course of my research! I’d like to live in a city but not somewhere as busy and big as London (I currently live in sleepy south Devon!), and would ideally like to be close to rural areas for camping and travelling whilst I’m not at work.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

I’ve got a degree and a social work Masters. It’s worth 15 points.

First thing you should do is go on the AASW website and get the skills assessment form. Send the IQA form to your university and get them to fill it in then gather all the documents for the skills assessment. The skills assessment is taking 5-6 months to come back at the moment so it’s worth trying to get that sorted ASAP.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

I’ve got a degree and a social work Masters. It’s worth 15 points.

First thing you should do is go on the AASW website and get the skills assessment form. Send the IQA form to your university and get them to fill it in then gather all the documents for the skills assessment. The skills assessment is taking 5-6 months to come back at the moment so it’s worth trying to get that sorted ASAP.
Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I literally just found the IQA form and have emailed my university to ask who I need to send it to. I don’t mind it taking a while, as I need some time to sort my finances out. But it’s exciting knowing I have taken my first steps in that direction!

Also that’s great re the 15 points, I thought it was 10, which hopefully takes a little pressure off of the English test.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Has anyone had to do the experience statement for criterion 3? I have a post graduate diploma in social work as I qualified over ten years ago and I think I have to do the experience statement. Has anyone else done this?
Old Nov 28th 2017, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Sarahmarc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I am new to this thread so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place ... congratulations on receiving your Visa
We submitted our Visa 190 nsw sponsorship on 20 November and completed our medicals yesterday. We are family of five, can you advise if you were allocated a caseworker of was your Visa approved without one ? we were really hoping to move after Christmas but realistically it looks like the Visa is going to take much longer than we expected due to the delays obtaining AASW skills assessment which took approximately 24 weeks. Can you anyone advise if the process is quite straightforward once we have lodged everything for our application ?
We are looking to move to New South Wales if anyone has any advice on areas or job opportunities etc, any information would be greatly received.
When we visited at the beginning of 2017 we looked at moving to the Gold Coast and there appeared to be lots of social work opportunities however since we have decided to apply to New South Wales I am finding that there are less job opportunities available online or it may be that I'm just looking in the wrong place Any advice from anyone would be greatly received

Many thanks
Old Nov 30th 2017, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sarahmarc
Hi
I am new to this thread so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place ... congratulations on receiving your Visa
We submitted our Visa 190 nsw sponsorship on 20 November and completed our medicals yesterday. We are family of five, can you advise if you were allocated a caseworker of was your Visa approved without one ? we were really hoping to move after Christmas but realistically it looks like the Visa is going to take much longer than we expected due to the delays obtaining AASW skills assessment which took approximately 24 weeks. Can you anyone advise if the process is quite straightforward once we have lodged everything for our application ?
We are looking to move to New South Wales if anyone has any advice on areas or job opportunities etc, any information would be greatly received.
When we visited at the beginning of 2017 we looked at moving to the Gold Coast and there appeared to be lots of social work opportunities however since we have decided to apply to New South Wales I am finding that there are less job opportunities available online or it may be that I'm just looking in the wrong place Any advice from anyone would be greatly received

Many thanks
Hi Sarah.

I wasn’t allocated a caseworker at all until I got my grant notification. I lodged, uploaded police checks and medicals 5-6 weeks after lodging and then just waited. Took over 3 months from uploading everything to getting grant during which time precisely nothing seemed to happen! I think you generally only get CO contact if you’re asked for extra info and even then you aren’t allocated a CO. The work just seems to go into a pile to be picked up. I’m not sure if the 190 times may be a bit quicker. The AASW was the longest wait if the whole process at 20 weeks. Ridiculous.

I can’t advise on jobs yet but will update the thread when I start looking and applying properly. I’m in adults though whereas most people seem to be children’s.

Hope the process goes quick for you.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Sarahmarc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much, wishing you all the best with your new adventures too !
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Jemjem123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sab.

Glad to hear you're working in Australia in a related job. You've done well to get that on a WHV and it sounds like great experience. Where abouts in Australia is your job and what's your plan from now?

I got a positive Skills Assessment back from AASW on 14th June which was a day or two before 20 weeks from submission. This was longer than they initially said but they did get in touch to say the processing times had increased. I've since completed the EOI (65 points), received an invitation to apply and lodged my 189 visa application on 29th June. Medicals are booked for 1st August and police checks will also be back then. Then it'll just be waiting for the grant (hopefully)! On current processing times we're hoping for a grant by Christmas.

I didn't go for the skilled employment assessment because:

A) I didn't need the additional points.
B) I have been employed for under 3 years as a social worker so wouldn't get the additional 5 points anyway.

This has meant that I haven't had to get references or evidence any employment up to now, although I have an option to upload some employment evidence documents which I might do as it won't do any harm and provides proof of my claims of employment in the visa application. I don't think I need to do this because I'm not claiming points though.

My understanding is that to claim skilled employment you need the additional AASW assessment (which I didn't get for the reasons outlined above).

You could see how many points you would get for your age and qualifications and then see if you could make up the extra points needed for a 189 by doing an English test...?

My breakdown is:

Age (31) - 30 points
Qualification - 15 points
Superior English (IELTS test) - 20 points

Total of 65 points.

The whole visa process from start to finish, including the Skills Assessment, could take almost a year with processing times so you might need to try and do things quickly if you're planning on applying for a 189. I have heard of social workers getting a Skills Assessment as a welfare worker which takes a lot shorter and may be the sort of role you are currently doing. I don't know much about that though or how employment works in that regard.

Hope this is helpful.

Jack.
[QUOTE=Jacko86;12300688]Hi
Hi I need your help!!
So im due to.complete my final year in social work in September. Had to.take a year out to have my twins (shock)

Anyway I have always thought that I needed 3 years post qualifying experience to emigrate. When you email agencies they always say that! But reading this thread I feel I now dont.

Il be 29 next year so know I score 30 in the age points.

Please tell me I'm understanding this correctly.

I know they made some visa changes in 2017, so will this still be the case ?

Its so important I know because if thats true then my husband will stay in his current job.

I would graduate next summer 2019, get work and then start the process. So during the process I would ne working as a SW.

Any help would be amazing thanks..
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:29 am
Just Joined

ChrissyAdeleke is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Jemjem123;12410943]
Hi
Hi I need your help!!
So im due to.complete my final year in social work in September. Had to.take a year out to have my twins (shock)

Anyway I have always thought that I needed 3 years post qualifying experience to emigrate. When you email agencies they always say that! But reading this thread I feel I now dont.

Il be 29 next year so know I score 30 in the age points.

Please tell me I'm understanding this correctly.

I know they made some visa changes in 2017, so will this still be the case ?

Its so important I know because if thats true then my husband will stay in his current job.

I would graduate next summer 2019, get work and then start the process. So during the process I would ne working as a SW.

Any help would be amazing thanks..

From my understanding you don’t need the 3 years post qualifying experience...but I think that may also depend on if you have a bachelors degree and then a masters. To get a positive skills assessment you need either 2 degrees or the post qualifying experience with one degree. I am a newly qualified social worker as well and I’m still waiting for my assessment to come back. I think I have 8-10 weeks left to wait. So just try and put yours in as soon as possible after you get your certificate. The AASW have been really helpful to me in answering queries so you can always pop them an email.
I had a lawyer and migration agent both tell me I couldn’t apply for PR without the work experience (they were both wrong). You have to remember that they deal with a lot of occupations so sometimes they just don’t have a clue 😂

Good luck with your studies and following application.

Mine is going painfully slooowww
Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Amber2019 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swh48
Has anyone had to do the experience statement for criterion 3? I have a post graduate diploma in social work as I qualified over ten years ago and I think I have to do the experience statement. Has anyone else done this?
Hi, I have just submitted my AASW application which had started being processed as of 20th December. I also have a post-grad diploma & was asked to complete the professional statement, so fingers crossed. Due not to hear results now until beginning of May, ages away. Will keep you posted!
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Fheyizsmart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone
Thumbs up to the moderator and everyone on this thread for the highly relevant information available here. I must say it took me approximately 45mins to dissect all posts.

I am about starting my migration move as a social worker and my case is peculiar as I must say. I have a first degree (4yrs) in Health Education which is seemingly related to the social work scope. I also bagged an M.ed in School and Community Health Education and registered with Nigeria Association of Social Workers. I have been directly engaged in a social work on injuries prevention and environmental sustainability with 3+yrs experience from the date of my first degree in Health Edu.

Would like to know my chances of getting a positive skills assessment from AASW considering the fact that I don’t hold any direct qualification in Social Work, but a similar qualification that covers the scope of social work.

In addition would also like to confirm if my experience can start counting as a social worker from 2014 that I got my Health Education qualification. I just registered with Nigeria association of social worker in 2018.

My points breakdown so far;
Qualification: 15 ( Hope my 2 certs gives me a positive assessment)
Employment: 5 points for 3+ years if it will count from the point I got my first degree.
IELTS: 10

Total 60...Please what’s my fate, can I proceed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.