Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:28 pm   #61
swh48 
Just Joined

swh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to all
Default Re: Social Work in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko86 View Post
My 189 visa was granted this morning

Lodged on 29th June.

Just handed my notice in at work!

I can’t answer those questions above about the jobs but my plan is to start looking and applying in the 2 months or so prior to my arrival and see what happens. I’m in adults. I’ll keep posting in the thread about what I experience if people find it useful.
That's amazing congratulations!!! I'm pretty jealous I must say but feeling motivated now. How long would you say from start to finish has that taken?
swh48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:35 pm   #62
Forum Regular

Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by swh48 View Post
That's amazing congratulations!!! I'm pretty jealous I must say but feeling motivated now. How long would you say from start to finish has that taken?
Thanks!

The first thing I did after doing all the research etc was sent the IQA form to my university. That was June 2016. They didn’t reply until November 2016 but I wasn’t really chasing them until November. Then it started properly in January with IELTS and skills assessment. So all in all it’s taken around a year and taken 11 months since I first paid any money for anything which was the IELTS.

The longest bit of the while process was waiting for the AASW skills assessment.
Jacko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:42 pm   #63
swh48 
Just Joined

swh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to all

Quote:
Thanks!

The first thing I did after doing all the research etc was sent the IQA form to my university. That was June 2016. They didn’t reply until November 2016 but I wasn’t really chasing them until November. Then it started properly in January with IELTS and skills assessment. So all in all it’s taken around a year and taken 11 months since I first paid any money for anything which was the IELTS.

The longest bit of the while process was waiting for the AASW skills assessment.
Wow so almost 2 years? Okay I really need to get my skates on!!!
Old Nov 12th 2017, 7:38 pm   #64
Cat87 
Just Joined

Cat87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My 189 visa was granted this morning

Lodged on 29th June.

Just handed my notice in at work!

I can’t answer those questions above about the jobs but my plan is to start looking and applying in the 2 months or so prior to my arrival and see what happens. I’m in adults. I’ll keep posting in the thread about what I experience if people find it useful.
Oh wow, huge congratulations!!! You must be thrilled and very excited to start your new venture. Having done some research now into the visas I feel as if I’m in a similar boat you, so I would love to hear your updates about how your getting on.

So I have figured that my best option is the 189 visa and self fund everything, as I don’t see myself getting one of the jobs they advertise here in the UK due to my lack of post qualification experience. I think I would get my 60 points from the English test.

Do you have a link to where I can get all the relevant forms from (including the IQA)? I’ve been looking at the government website but it’s sending me round in circles for some things.

At what point did you have to pay for the visa if you don’t mind me asking?
Cat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 7:43 pm   #65
Cat87 
Just Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Have a good read of Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection[/url] and work out first whether you qualify for a visa.
Pointless trying to get a job is you do not fit any of the visa categories. The best to go for is the 189 which does not tie you t any employer or state.
A 457 requires sponsorship by an employer, and is temporary, but will not exist much longer, a new temporary visa comes in next year.

Very few agencies in the UK recruit for jobs like this, if you want sponsorship you are better off contacting Aus employers directly.
Thanks for link, I’ve been having a good read and am relatively confident I would be eligible for the 189 as long as I get enough points in the English test. I have a degree in English literature (and a masters in social work), and am just wondering if that will account for anything?

I’m slightly confused at how many points my masters is worth - am I right in saying 10 points?

At the moment I am thinking if Adelaide, but that could all change over the course of my research! I’d like to live in a city but not somewhere as busy and big as London (I currently live in sleepy south Devon!), and would ideally like to be close to rural areas for camping and travelling whilst I’m not at work.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:17 pm   #66
Forum Regular

Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve got a degree and a social work Masters. It’s worth 15 points.

First thing you should do is go on the AASW website and get the skills assessment form. Send the IQA form to your university and get them to fill it in then gather all the documents for the skills assessment. The skills assessment is taking 5-6 months to come back at the moment so it’s worth trying to get that sorted ASAP.
Jacko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:26 pm   #67
Cat87 
Just Joined

Quote:
I’ve got a degree and a social work Masters. It’s worth 15 points.

First thing you should do is go on the AASW website and get the skills assessment form. Send the IQA form to your university and get them to fill it in then gather all the documents for the skills assessment. The skills assessment is taking 5-6 months to come back at the moment so it’s worth trying to get that sorted ASAP.
Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I literally just found the IQA form and have emailed my university to ask who I need to send it to. I don’t mind it taking a while, as I need some time to sort my finances out. But it’s exciting knowing I have taken my first steps in that direction!

Also that’s great re the 15 points, I thought it was 10, which hopefully takes a little pressure off of the English test.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:58 pm   #68
swh48 
Just Joined

Has anyone had to do the experience statement for criterion 3? I have a post graduate diploma in social work as I qualified over ten years ago and I think I have to do the experience statement. Has anyone else done this?

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia